dreaded swelly-belly | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

dreaded swelly-belly dreaded swelly-belly

Unread 07-31-2003, 10:12 PM
dreaded swelly-belly

Hi, everyone.

I keep coming back to the site as I keep vascillating between going through with the surgery (TAH) and just waiting.

It seems that those who have had a TVH have less problems with swelly-belly and that those who have had the abdominal incision have more of the swelly-belly to deal with. As superficially vain as it sounds, I Already look about 4-5 months pregnant. If it gets worse after surgery, I truly think it will throw me into a major depression. I'm not sure I'm willing to cope with such a bloated look for a year (or permanently!!!). Help

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-31-2003, 10:30 PM
dreaded swelly-belly

I've had swelly now for almost 7 months. The worst was week 4-8 post. I thought it was getting better and now it's back again.
Honestly, I'd rather have a little swelling that the bleeding and itchy, painful infections all the time. Life is good on this side, even with swelly belly.
Unread 07-31-2003, 11:45 PM
NOT swelly-belly, please *omg*

I agree. My "middle-age spread" is bad enough already! Does anyone know of any tips to avoid this lasting for months?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-01-2003, 02:23 AM
dreaded swelly-belly

Hi Susan

I think you might be worrying about this WAY more than you need to. Some people (like Sheri) have posted that the swelly belly has continued for some months, but for most people it seems to be a temporary thing that only gets worse when they overdo it. I can't recall anyone reporting that it's become a permanent problem.

I'm four weeks post op now and most of the time my belly is less swelly than it was before. You said you've got fibroids so I expect there's a good chance it'd be the same for you, so long as you don't try and do too much for the first few weeks.

You're the only one who can decide what's right for you, but that's my two cents worth.

Cath
Unread 08-01-2003, 03:10 AM
dreaded swelly-belly

HI Susan,
my swelly belly has been negligible. I am NOT wearing any granny panties, just my regular ones from before surgery.
I haven't tried on all my clothes, but the lightweight cotton trouser's I've worn fit fine (actually I've lost a bit of weight, so they are even better than they were before surgery).

I find that at the end of the day my belly feels harder, but only very very slightly bigger.

I am 5'7" and weigh (now) 165! I didn't have a flat belly going into surgery, and while it isn't any flatter, it isn't really bigger.

hope that helps
Unread 08-01-2003, 04:15 AM
dreaded swelly-belly

Hi Susan,

I had my TAH last year because I had multiple fibroids and an enlarged uterus, which was the size of a 5 month pregnancy. My tummy pre-op was pretty large too.

For about the first week or two after surgery, my tummy was much, much flatter - then swelly belly hit. Even with the post-op swelling though, it still wasn't as big as it had been pre-op.

Here's a link to a thread that can give you more information on swelly belly - what it is, what it isn't, and how to deal with it: Swelly Belly, What it is, What it isn’t, and How to Get Rid of it

Please don't let the fear of swelly belly stop you from getting the medical help you need. It's just not that big of an issue (no pun intended.)

s,

Lisa
Unread 08-01-2003, 04:38 AM
dreaded swelly-belly

Hi,

I also had a TAH/BSO. My uterus was about the size of a 16-18 week pregnancy, many many fibroids. I didn't need any panties any larger even immediately after surgery, and I was able to wear my jeans 2 weeks after surgery, not for a long period of time, just to go to the DR or store, etc, but I was able to comfortably button and zip them. If it wasn't for the incision I would have been ok.

Overdoing it does increase the swelling, too much activity, walking, etc. The swelling is caused by the tissues healing. Give them plenty of rest to get their healing done and usually the swelling doesn't last too long.

Exercise will NOT help, rather it will prolong the swelling by making the tissues take longer to heal.

A very simplistic analogy: a paper cut on your finger. Every time you bend the finger it opens up. If you put a bandaid on it and try not to bend that finger it heals faster. Can't put a bandaid on you internal tissues, but you can be very gentle with them so they can heal quicker.

Best wishes!
Unread 08-01-2003, 06:47 AM
dreaded swelly-belly

My pre-op uterus was 6 to 7 month pregnancy size -- even with swelly belly, it was never as big as it was pre-op. That's the first thing people say to me when they see me now, "your stomach is so flat." It's definitely not flat, it definitely has a bit of a swell, but compared to before . . .

I still have slight swelly, it was the worst 4 - 9 weeks out. I almost think it's a protective thing for the area also, everything was still tender and it kept me from putting anything binding around it. Now, at 12 weeks post-op, I can wear jeans and non-elastic waisted pants again.

Swelling is a temporary side-effect of ANY surgery, and you really shouldn't let that drive an important medical decision.
Unread 08-01-2003, 09:55 PM
dreaded swelly-belly

Hi Sujul,

I am nearly 5 weeks post op TAH and have no swelly belly. In fact I am about 8 pounds lighter than pre-op.

In the first few days post op my tummy was a little swollen, but I have been very careful about eating. I seem to be unusual, especially reading the posts but I don't think the sb is inevitable.

I was pretty small to begin with and have had a very good recovery so far. I think recovery depends on a good mental attitute and accepting the fact that you will hurt and also on being as fit as possible before surgery.

I am so happy I had this done. Lots of good luck to you. Sue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register