Piling on the Pounds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Piling on the Pounds Piling on the Pounds

Unread 03-04-2005, 01:28 PM
Piling on the Pounds

Help!

Before my surgery I had lost 46 pounds and belong to WW. I'm a little over 13 weeks post-op. After 6 weeks, I eased back into my routine of working out. At 6 weeks I was the same weight as I was pre-op. In the last 7 weeks I have gained 6 pounds. Since I'm still following my WW plan, I cannot figure why I am gaining so much weight so fast. I kept one ovary so I'm not on HRT. I am really concerned about this. My sister had a hysterectomy and just got huge. I put off having this done for 12 years for fear of gaining weight. Has anyone experienced this? Is there anything I can do in addition to working out and eating right? Is this temporary, will it stop? Any help or advice would be so greatly appreciated! Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Piling on the Pounds

Wow, 6 pounds in 7 weeks - that's alot. I would check with your doctor and maybe get some blood work done to see if there is anything that could cause this.

I didn't gain any weight after the surgery - I also didn't lose any until about week 7 - my first follow-up at week 3 I weighed the same as I did before the surgery, but at week seven I had lost 15 pounds - it had to do with bloating and water weight I had gained from the IV and surgery.

If you've been following a weight loss plan and exercising, get checked out - there maybe something going on that can be controlled or treated easily or maybe just something that is temporary until you are past the "recovery" stage.

Good Luck!
Cat
Unread 03-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Piling on the Pounds

Gaining 6 lbs in 7 weeks is NOT alot, it is just your body changing. I gained 8 lbs and I did not even know it was happening, until I tried to butten my jeans.

As of now I think I have lost about 5 of the 8 lbs. Have you tried any of the Billy Blanks Tae Bo tapes, you will be amazed. Maybe try the one they are advertising now Boot Camp.

I hope things work out well for you

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Piling on the Pounds

Are you otherwise feeling well? My weight has been all over the map since my surgery. First I lost 14 lbs. Then I gained it back. Wow! I am nervous now and really watching what I eat. I've increased my exercise too!

You might ask to have your thyroid level checked.
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Piling on the Pounds

I've lost 100+ lbs with weight watchers and am very nervous about gaining weight - I had my TAH/RSO on 2/15/05. Try talking to your weight watchers leader and your doctor. The leader will go over your food journal with you and try to help see something maybe you're not. The doctor may want to check your hormones to see if they're "balanced" and maybe a thyroid level. Don't get disouraged and keep us posted - I'm very interested to see how it goes for you.
Unread 03-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Piling on the Pounds

Gotcatstyle, Hang in there!!! It took at least 7 or 8 weeks for me to start losing after my TAH, but, just to be on the safe side, maybe you should talk with your GYN. Have they checked your thyroid levels? Good luck to you and lol!
Unread 03-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Piling on the Pounds

Thanks for the input, I have made a doctors appointment for Wednesday. I'll let you guys know what he said.

Sharon - I live by TaeBo. I owe a lot of my weight loss to Billy and couldn't wait to get back to TaeBo. I'm doing five different tapes, five days a week. Do TaeBo and gain weight, how does that work??? I have to check out Boot Camp, I'm always looking for new tapes.

Pearle - That's the other amazing thing. Except for gaining weight and my clothes not fitting, my recovery has been a breeze. I was out of the hospital the next day, walking in 2 days and off pain meds in about 10 days. I feel fabulous, I really don't have any discomfort. Even ab work doesn't bother me. I just have a swelly belly and am gaining weight.

Jen - I do WW online, so I don't have a leader to talk to. If the doc doesn't find anything wrong, I'm going to have him send me to a nutritionist. I've decreased my simple carbs and sodium, increased my fruits and veggies, and have well balanced meals. I drink enough water to float a boat. I have done all that I can think, it's time to turn it over to the experts.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks so much, my husband thinks I'm crazy, glad to know I'm not! Amber
Unread 03-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Piling on the Pounds

Good luck!
Unread 03-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Piling on the Pounds

Just a thought but...since you had lost weight (congrsts on that btw!!) and you were working out..then stopped for about 6weeks due to surgery...perhaps it is the fact you are now gaining some muscle back..which does weigh more than fat so I would ask your dr but I would also keep that in mind...I know that I am at almost five weeks and am running again..and have lost weight but it will undoubtedly come back on as soon as I start doing weights again..hopefully soon!!!

My guess would be some water retention (drink, drink, drink) and gaining MUSCLE!!!!

Hang in there!!!

Judy
TAh/BSO 2/2/05 endo/cyst/adhes/fibr/pain & bleeding
Unread 03-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Piling on the Pounds

I agree with Judy. Could be muscle gain. In my experience of working out after laying off for a while I tend to gain a little and then shrink. How are your clothes fitting? Might want to stay off the scale for a little while and get out a measuring tape. See how the inches are.

I know it must be frustrating, but just keep working out and doing what your doing. Maybe your Dr. can help rule out any medical problems. I hope this works out for you.

Sirap

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register