Going shopping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going shopping Going shopping

Unread 07-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Going shopping

Hi everyone,

Haven't been on here in a while just staying busy and stressing. Next Thursday is the big day for my vag hyst, yippee! I'm scared to death and just want it to be overwith. Anyway, I'm going shopping for some hospital things this weekend & I was wondering if there's anything important I should pick up. Someone said before to get something for dry lips so what else? Also, I've never been a pad wearer & don't know what to expect after surgery so I was wondering if I should get regular or would a panty liner be ok? Sorry for the dumb questions & hope everyone's doing great! Thanks for any tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Going shopping

No question is a dumb question. I found the most important things I bought preop were a small pillow to hold over my stomach for coughing and sneezing (had TAH), plenty of magazines and puzzle books (to combat the boredom of hospital life), new pj's (just to make me feel better), and some VERY loose fitting shorts. Also, I was sooooo glad I took my own pillow from home. Helped a lot. Hospital pillows stink!!! I had very little discharge after my TAH and a panty liner was way more than enough, but I don't know if it's different for a vaginal hysterectomy. Hope this helps!! Best of luck!!
Unread 07-11-2006, 04:26 PM
Going shopping

Hi,
I stocked up on long pads with wings and I used only two. Now I have 2 box fulls but thrilled I can just give them away. Yipee!!!! Panty liners were all I needed but each women's bleeding issues may be different. I'd pack 3-4 bigger ones and a couple of panty liners. If you need more someone can always bring them to you. I has TAH/BSO on 7/3. I wore the big pad in hospital the first & second day. Then the liners worked fine. I didn't have much bleeding. One big gush the first night that brought so much relief it felt good to get it out. Even up to now 9th day post op it's hardly anything. I don't really even need the pads now. If anything is there, it's when I pee.

I overpacked (as I always do for any adventure)and didn't use half the things.

This list also depends how long you're staying. I stayed 2 nights.
Bring:
A few pads, lareg & small/thin/liners.
toothbrush
toothpaste (mouthwash if you use it)also if you don't have the strength to brush you can just rinse.
Lip stuff- blistex or straight vaseline.
A nightgown- I never got into mine, stayed 2 days and too much trouble with the IV & PCA box hooked up.
Light robe, never wore that either. i just put my sweater on my shoulders when I walked the floor to get the gas out and the exercise, good for circulation and the lungs.
Slippers for sure
Brush
Headband, pony tail
Small Mirror, I didn't use mine, but thought I might.
A pen, pencil and a few post its for questions that pop in your head to ask the Doc or items for family to bring..
Wipes- I had Always brand wipes
A sweater in case it's too much AC
Magazines (maybe) I never loooked at mine, too much pain
Tiny shampoo & tiny conditioner.
Most important my own pillows - 2 of them.
Also a small pillow for you belly.
The hospital I was in supplied toothrush & paste, shampoo, body wash & a comb.

Also find out your hospital policy about the telephone and TV.
Mine required you pay each day. So bring a blank check or two.
I called in advance before my stay with all my questions.
I also requested a bed by the window side. To me it's more roomy and I need my sunshine. Worked out nice because the windows had nice ledges for my flowers and drinks. It was a holiday weekend teh 4th of July so the hospital had lots of open beds. i got lucky and din't have a roomate which was a Godsend because my daughter was allowed to stay and I don't know if I woudl have done as well as i did without her. It was a long painful night. i slept 25 minutes at a time and cried fom the pain. She helped me, she helped me sit up and move and stand and just hold onto her shoulders so I could stand a few moments.

You'll probably get more ideas, now that my answer bumped up your post to the new post section. Keep asking till you get all your answers.

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery. Try not to worry, you will get thru it. God won't give you more than you can't handle, remember that. Each day is a challenge at first and you will take two steps forward and 3 back, just try and be patient with yourself and everyone. This won't be easy but you'll only have to do it once. I am rooting for you!!!

Liz

i had my ovaries out too, so I made sure the Doctor put me on hormones by the day i left Wednesday 7/5, a low dose of premarin, so far so good. I don't know if my body ahs realized there's no ovaries anymore or the meds are working. I have to say today was a bundle of emotions, 9th day post op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Going shopping

Hi,
Went shopping today as well, needed new pjs and a robe. My surgery is 7/19, I'm also trying to fight a case of nerves. Wish you the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register