lots of questions, possible date-really long | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

lots of questions, possible date-really long lots of questions, possible date-really long

Unread 07-26-2001, 10:50 AM
lots of questions, possible date-really long

It's been a while since I have been here. Last I posted I had just had an endometrioma removed. Well, my periods are still really bad, lot's of pain, headaches that won't quit. Tried the pill and was great while on it except I wanted to kill someone and my bloodpressure started to rise. Only on it for 3 months anyhow. Stopped it and got my heavy periods back. Oh what fun So I have been just dealing with it. Had to see my gyn yesterday because thought there was a lump but it was nothing. Doc asked how everything else was going. So I told her. So she gave me a couple options. The first was an IUD, not thrilled about having something put inside me so that was a no. ANother hormone to try but I have had enough of 'trying' pills. Next one was an amblation (not sure if the spelling is right) No garuntee it would work. I have 4 kids (tubes tied)and am tired of the trying this and that so that left a hysterectomy. I am all for it for the most part. THe fear of the un-known after it's done is the hard part. My hubby says try more drugs. Am I being unreasonable not wanting to do that? The surgery I had in MAy removed that endo thing but I also had my gall bladder removed. I came home and had a serious reaction to the vicadin which scared my poor hubby and me. Then for the next week I just cried all the time and didn't feel myself. THat is why he isn't to thrilled about me doing this. Honestly I know it won't be easy at first, but once we get through the recovery it should be better then what I go through now. That is if I can keep my ovaries. That is true right? If I keep my ovaries then I won't be sent into the hormonal tailspin? Doc asked me to think about what I wanted her to do if she went in and found my ovaries to be damaged. Thats a hard one and the other thing that freiks out my husband. He doesn't want to deal with that. He wants them to do tests before hand to chekc them. That's part of the problem. All my tests (pap, endo biopsy, etc.) come out alright. It's the hormonal problem I am having that they think is the cause of all the bleeding and pain, save for the 2 fibriods I have. So I should keep my ovaries. The Doc just wanted me to be aware that because of the endometrioma that was removed she could go in and find I do have endometriosis and that it's in my ovaries. Wouldn't it have shown up on that biopsy though? I don't know.I say just do it so I can get on with my life. And I am scared of not being the same after. Can't be worse than I am now. I don't want to try anymore pills yet if she removes my ovaries I need hormonal therapy. She said it's a 6th of what she needs to give me now to try and fix my problem. Can anyone tell I'm not sure LOL Not so much because of me but because of my hubby. I mean he says it's up to me but I will need all his help after. And what if I don't feel quite right, I want his support on that, not an I told you so. I am tired of the pain,(and he knows that and wants it fixed too) the hemmoraging and all that stuff, so this sounds like the answer to me. Has for some time. And I think my hubby feels I want it so bad that I am not looking at everything else. How long do you keep trying new things before you give up? I ask myself that all the time. He's afraid the sex will change or that I will end up some raving lunitic. I don't know, I thank you all for listening though and any advice would surely be a help and appreciated. Anything i can show my hubby about the sex thing, the hormone thing and that as long as my ovaries stay I'll be alright.
Tahnks again guys
Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2001, 11:12 AM
its a hard decision!

Julie,
I am 26 yrs old and just had a tah/bso for endo and pcos on the 17th of july.Even though i dont know what it feels like to have all the constant bleeding going on i know constant pain very well.I had gone through 2 laps for the endo and bcp's for the pcos.To some people thats not trying much but i knew with all the other problems that they can cause and that i was done having kids trying all the differnet things was just a bandaid for having the hyst done in the future.The pain was coming betwwen my life with my dh and kids and my LIFE with my hubby in the bedroom.I wanted my life back.I think you just need to ask yourself what the priorites are.If you are done with having kids and it is a for sure thing that you will have to have this done in the future, why not get it done and have the resy of your life pain free to spend with your dh the way you want.I feel really good only being 9 days post-op.I knw it was the best decision that i could have made for myself and my family.It is hard to recover but just knowing that when i do i can do whatever i want and not have to worry if i will be in pain or not.As far as the hormones go i dont have alot of info on that right now.My dd gave me a shot of estrgen in the recover room and i start my pills on sunday but so far so good.A few mild hot flashes but not to much to complain about.As far as the sex life you can find alot of info on that here on the forum.Alot of the women here say that there sex life is better than ever.I have not gotten to that point but i do know i having been wanting my dh more than i have ever before.I canot wait til our 6 week check up and get the okay.I hope things go okay for you and you make the right decision.It is hard for our dh to go through this but just sit down and explain to him that you want your life bcak to spend with him pain and blood free.In the end it will all work out for the best and you or dh will not regret a thing.Good luck and sorry this is so long but wanted you to know how things went for me.
Unread 07-26-2001, 06:01 PM

Hi Julie...

It sounds like you've tried a lot of different approaches, but have you tried a different doctor? I think before you make any decision regarding surgery, you owe it to yourself to seek a second and maybe a third opinion. Another doctor may have a fresh approach to your symptoms.

Even if the second and third opinions reach the same conclusions, you will at least have a concensus, and can make a fully informed decision.

Please do this for yourself...this is serious and non-reversible surgery, and you need to be sure it's right for you. Also, please do some reading over on our forum Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives, as you may find some others there with similar issues.

Please keep us informed on what you find out!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2001, 05:51 AM

Hi! I was just replying to let you know that you are not alone. I too have been through the whirlwind of not knowing what is going on with your body. I spent 2 years with pain and bleeding that the doctors in my former state did not want to bother with, since I didnt have any insurance. I was in constant pain, literally laying in bed or on the floor crying and doubled up. Finally my hubby and I moved to our new home and finally I got a doctor to do something for me and he said I needed an immediate hyster. I have fibroids and prolapsed uterus. So far, he cant make a determination on my ovaries, cause there is so much stuff in the way, he cant get a good look at them. I will be so glad once the pain and bleeding is gone, and as far as the sex is concerned, I'm sure it will still be there. So many of our sisters have said that it is better than before! Which I can see why, with the pain and bleeding gone, it should be! Just do what you think is right for your body and the rest will take care of itself. Just make sure you have a competent doctor that will make sure of what all is wrong and will give you all the alternatives. I understand about having to do all the trying out different meds and it is not fun. It just wants to make you give up! But dont do that! You will get relief in the end. Make your doctor do something, or find one that will. Let us know what is happening, and have a long talk with the hubby. Let him know that you will still more than likely have your sex drive, and it may be better than before, after all it is much better with out pain, right? lol I wish you all the luck in the world and let us know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register