Thanks to all | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thanks to all Thanks to all

Unread 01-20-2002, 05:58 AM
Thanks to all

Hello, Tried to post this a few days ago, but internet access was acting up. I had my TAH BSO January 9th, and wanted to thank everyone on this board for the practical advice. As a , and a OB at that, I had given the walk and drink speech a million times to all the Post Op C/Section patients. Most Maternity units allow clean Gyn cases on the units as well, so I have seen several hundred women recovering from TAH, etc. Guess I figured to take all your advice, plus everything I had seen to try for a great recovery, and it worked. My best advice:
Stretched out lycra underpants for the first few days- hate those garter belts!
Ask for the PCA pump for pain relief for the first 24 hrs. Take pain medication liberally the first few days.
WALK, WALK, WALK
Drink, Drink, Drink
Wear newer lycra underpants when you get home, or ask for an abdominal binder.
Have some cough medicine ready if needed. Coughing is the worst. Check with MD what is good to use, and let them know you are coughing. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2002, 09:28 AM
Thanks to all

Thanks for letting us know you are doing well! It's great to hear that the good advice here helped you.

Personally, I went the big cotton granny bloomer route myself. I hate lycra even when I feel well, so the idea of anything tight across my incision.....no thanks!

A tummy pillow is indespensable for coughing, as well as laughing, sneezing, and fending off pets, kids, and flailing spouse appendages. I'd be careful with cough medicine, because it might interact with any pain meds you may be taking, either over the counter or prescription. But I agree, if you are coughing, or anything else that might indicate infection or pain, call your doctor and let him/her know right away.

Keep up your walking, resting, drinking, and relaxing....sounds like you are on the right track!!

Karen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register