Have some questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have some questions Have some questions

Unread 11-07-2002, 02:34 PM
Have some questions

Hello all. I have to say that this is a wonderful, informative site! I have been told by my Dr. that I need a hysterectomy. I have been told nothing but horror stories since then, but I have no choice. (I can't imagine feeling worse than I do now!) Anyways, I have been told that one of my ovaries is fine the other has cysts, so I can keep one so that I won't be thrown into menopause. (I'm 32). How long until you are able to physically do things again. (I am currently being considered for a federal prison positon but have to pass physical training). Has anyone experienced significant weight gain? Are the hormones thrown out of wack with just one ovary left??

Thank you for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2002, 02:41 PM
I listened to the horror stories and believed them

but after all was said and done, I wasn't nearly as incapacitated as some of the ladies. It does take time to heal, six weeks just for the internal incisions, sometimes more depending on so many factors.

The trauma of the surgery and the anesthesia can shock your remaining ovary into a brief period of inactivity, but it will revive. Call it pretend menopause.

How long you are restricted again has too many factors to give you a definate answer. Depends on the approach the doc takes to remove the ute. Abdominal is rougher than a vaginal approach obviously.

My belief is the better condition you are going in, the better you will be coming out. Try to tune out the negative scary stuff since it might not happen to you and it is just a big emotional burden to carry pre-op. But don't go into it being naive either. There is a healthy balance to reach.

Ask your doc lotso questions. and educate yourself the best you can.
Unread 11-07-2002, 02:55 PM
Have some questions

Welcome!! You are in the right place for lots of great support and info!! And I promise you will find MANY positive hyst stories here!

Everyone has different types and speeds of recovery, and a lot of that has to do with how long, and exstensive the surg ends up being, and the health and condition of the patient before surg, and if there are any complications and/or setbacks

That said, most docs reccommend 6 to 8 weeks for recovery. Some ladies are still feeling not so hot at that point, esp if they have had any complications or setbacks, but most start to feel a WHOLE lot better by the two week mark, and start doing some light easy things, like short driving, etc. But it is very important not to overdo it at that point b/c you are feeling so good. The body still is very newly healing, and you must be careful and you will probably still feel tired very easily.

As far as hormones and ovaries, even if you leave 1 or 2 in, they very often go into shock after surg, and do not function properly. In that case you would prob experience menopausal symptoms. You can find many posts here about that very thing. You may want to talk to doc about what your options are if that happens, and how long you can expect till they function again, and if this is even more likely with just one.

Finely, let me say I am just over 2 weeks post op, and doing and feeling great!! I had my ovaries removed, and have been on bio-identical HRT since the surg, and have done just great!

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Have some questions

Dasani!

This is a great site full of support and information. It has really helped me to get through the waiting.

Anyway, here's a welcome ... Feel free to ask anything and someone will point you in the right direction for more info!!
Unread 11-07-2002, 02:57 PM
Have some questions

PS. so far no weight gain...loss actually! But I plan to continue to eat well, and exersice after recovery, and keep an eye on that!
Unread 11-07-2002, 03:11 PM
Have some questions

Sister, WELCOME! You have definately found THE PLACE.
There are drop down menus w/tons of questions and lists of do's and don't's. Not knowing what kind of surgery you will have, TVH or TAH, it is hard to say what time frame is "typical." Just remember, all of us heal differently, so it's really hard to say. Just remember that your health is the most important thing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register