still no libido? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

still no libido? still no libido?

Unread 07-07-2005, 09:41 AM
still no libido?

I am only three months post-op but my "no libido problem" started almost three years ago, not long after my second c-section. When I found out that I had endo I thought that was what was causing me to not be able to get aroused and I never knew if I would need lubrication. One time I would have too much wetness if there is such a thing and the next nothing. But no matter the amount or lack thereof I could not getaroused or have "O". I had hoped after my TAH/BSO I would get my libido back but nothing has changed. I have been on the climara patch for two and a half months now and still nothing. My dh is very frustrated as I am but I have noticed that he is at the point of giving up on anything sexual between us and I do not want that to happen. I was hoping that someone could tell me the names of some medication that would help thatI could talk to my dr about. It would help if it is patch or pill form because the closest compound pharmicy is three hours away. I am so depressed about this.

Thanks sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2005, 10:13 AM
still no libido?

Hi!

I'm sorry that you are having problems after your surgery. Unfortunately, loss of libido after a hysterectomy/oophorectomy isn't uncommon. The good news is, it's often possible to regain it with proper hormone balance.

If you are doing well on your patch for estrogen, I would suggest you leave that part of your hormone therapy as is and ask your doctor about getting compounded testosterone cream to help with your libido, after having your free and total testosterone levels checked. Don't worry that the closest compounding pharmacy is so far away. Many of them do mail orders and if your doctor doesn't understand how to write a prescription for compounded testosterone, the compounding pharmacist can help guide him/her. If the compounding pharmacy nearest you doesn't do mail orders, you might opt to try one of the ones listed in the Hyster Sisters Business Directory.

The Proctor & Gamble testosterone patch for women called Intrinsa isn't available yet for women. Some doctors will prescribe a patch or gel testosterone approved for men but in my opinion that isn't a good option for women. The dose is too high. Too much testosterone isn't any better than not having enough and the symptoms of too much aren't always reversible.

There is one other option I can think of which is helpful to some women. It's called Estratest and it comes in HS (half strength) and FS (full strength). I hesitate to mention it only because if you are doing well on Climara, it's a shame to change that. Not everyone makes the transition well from bio-identical hormones such as Climara to the non-bio esterified estrogens and methyltestosterone that is in Estratest. Also, it's not unusual for the ratio of estrogen to testosterone in Estratest to be wrong for the individual and there is no way to adjust one without adjusting the other. If all that isn't enough, it also has to be processed through the liver which can easily be avoided by using a transdermal method of delivery such as the Climara patch you already use and a compounded 1% testosterone cream like so many of us who post in the Hormone Jungle use.

There is also the option of testosterone injections or implanted pellets. I personally wouldn't opt for them because obviously there's no way to tweak the dose. Once it's in, it's there for the duration. However, there are a few women posting in the Jungle who go that route and have been successful with it.

Definitely discuss your situation with your doctor. Have your husband go with you if you think it will help. I've dealt with it a few times myself and completely understand how frustrating it is not only for you but for your DH. You may have to be very assertive with your doctor and it may even require changing doctors. Not all doctors are open to the idea of prescribing testosterone for women. The bottom line is we do what we have to do to get what we need.

I wish you the best for your appointment to discuss this important issue with your doctor! Let us know how it goes, okay?

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register