Hyst for Fibroids or is it Estrogen?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hyst for Fibroids or is it Estrogen?? Hyst for Fibroids or is it Estrogen??

Unread 05-05-2009, 07:08 AM
Hyst for Fibroids or is it Estrogen??

Good morning ladies. I am so glad to have this site to vent and ask my questions!I am 43, dx 10+small fibroids all over the uterus, mostly in the muscle but 1 at least protruding into the womb. I am uncomfortable or hurting much of the time. My periods are heavy for 2-3 days, (up 4+ times at night to change, sleep on towel, etc) then taper off for another 5 days. I have cramps and spotting, pressure and bloating thru out the month. Forget sex. Back pain, and lately sciatic pain in my behind which my doctor said could be related because the larger fibroid is toward the back and my uterus is tipped so it may be putting pressure on the spine. I am so surprised when I read of ladies here on h.s. that have very enlarged uteruses w/fibroids and little or no symptoms! I feel sometimes that I must be exaggerating! But here's my question. I also have hormonal symptoms like breast tenderness, night sweats, mood swings etc and I wonder if some hormonal imbalance might be causing the other things too. I am reading alot on estrogen dominance and diet etc and these authors make me feel like if I drastically change my eating and start taking all their supplements I will miraculously feel better! I am meeting my doctor tomorrow to discuss my latest trans vag. ultrasound and possible surgery. He is not pressing me to have surgery, in fact he is known for trying herbal and natural treatments. I guess I am trying to get my thoughts straight here before I see him. I would appreciate any input at all. Sorry this is so long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Re: Hyst for Fibroids or is it Estrogen??

Hi.. I had fibroids inside and yes one on a stalk, so I understand the pain issues.
Having said that I would NOT have the surgery again if you promised me I'd live forever looking like I did at age 31. (note: I was hot then ;-)

So check any and all other avenues before considering surgery.

I was told that it(surgery) was "no big deal" and that I'd feel better.. well today I broke down and put a patch on .. the night sweats are killing me.

Mood swings? Eh.. I've always been a moonbat so no worries there :-)

Good Luck,
Unread 05-05-2009, 12:39 PM

Cita, Thanks for your reply. You were 31 when you had a hysterectomy? Did you keep your ovaries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2009, 12:56 PM

Oh no I was 49 ( had it Sept.30 08.. this Sept I'll be the big 50!! I just wish I still looked like I did in my 30s :-)

I messed around and waited to have the surgery.. I should have gone with my gut and just dealt with the pain the oversized "tummy" and let nature take it's course.

NO :-( They took EVERYTHING.. TAH/BSO... and hardly batted an eye when I asked how this would effect me, several women in the office said "it was no big deal" .. they must have really loved me there right?? ;-)

Take Care.. and you never know with me I may get into this patch thing for two-three days and quit.. it's all really about NO sleep and night sweats for me.. oh and whether or not to just tummy tuck away what won't go away :-) Still on the bike and treadmill guess I just have to cut back on the bad foods that I love so much :-(

HUGS!!
Unread 05-05-2009, 02:26 PM

Hi Imajrzygrl2,

I had fibroids and I am still very pleased with my hyst results. I agree with the idea of estrogen dominance. In fact...in runs in my family. My mother had smaller fibroids and never had a hyst...and my two sisters and I have all had hysts for fibroids. So go figure.

You also said you have hormonal symptoms like breast tenderness, night sweats, mood swings etc and wonder if it some hormonal imbalance. It could be that.

As Cita shared...do research the ovaries if you consider a hyst. There is a newer thread that Kathy posted in the ~News~ forum area called ~Ovary Removal or Not~ at the top of the web site. Check it out.

In the end...just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Best wishes~

Mary
Unread 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM

Hey Mary,
Me Cita here butting in.. I have to tell you I'm JEALOUS that you kept your ovaries :-)
I wonder had I asked if that would have even been an option for me .. oh well , to late now.
Regards, Cita
Unread 05-05-2009, 04:48 PM

Hey girls. Like I said, I meet w my doctor tomorrow to discuss this whole thing and I will let you know what he says. But when I saw him last and mentioned hysterectomy he said, 1. Because I have had more than one abnormal pap he would take the cervix with the uterus, and
2. because I have no problems beyond occasional functional ovarian cyst he would leave my ovaries so that I wouldnt need HRT. I have questions to ask about ovarian atrophy, and needing hormones anyway. He also said I was not a candidate for a vaginal hyst because I have no prolapse, where I have read posts by women on this site who have had vag/hyst w/o prolapse, so that may lead to a 3rd opinion for a less invasive procedure. Thanks so much for caring!!
Unread 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Hi Imajrzygrl2,

Best wishes with your Dr's appointment tomorrow. Please update us when you can.

~Mary
Unread 05-05-2009, 05:18 PM

Hi Imajrzygrl2,

Wow, you know I never had an abnormal pap.. hmm, we are all different aren't we.? :-)

Well crazy me couldn't handle the pain meds so at hour 30 ( yes a TAH/BSO) I was in the car on the way home !! Staples and all.. what a mess... good LUCK tomorrow ask ALL the questions that you need to.

At least he gave you an option to keep the ovaries :-)

Big HUGS!!!
Unread 05-05-2009, 05:35 PM

For: Cita

I got two opinions and my first Dr. recommended a TAH and she never even metntioned my ovaries. My 2nd Dr. recommended a laparoscopic hyst and he suggested I keep my ovaries. How I got my 2nd Dr...it was a lot of luck to be honest. After I saw my 1st Dr., I called the human resources dept. at my DH's work looking for some Dr. recommendations and the lady I spoke with on the phone had just had a hyst..and she recommended her Dr...who turned out to be the Dr. I went with for my hyst.

So...all I can say Cita...please keep sharing your important story and keep educating women about asking questions about the ovaries. In my opinion, the ovaries (and cervix) are as important a topic as the uterus...when a Hyster Sister is contemplating a hyst.

Sending best wishes~

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register