Those who resumed exercise @ 6 weeks | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Those who resumed exercise @ 6 weeks Those who resumed exercise @ 6 weeks

Unread 12-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Those who resumed exercise @ 6 weeks

How was your energy level & stamina by then? Were you able to exercise as you wanted or disappointed in how things went initially? If you exercised before - how long til you were able to resume your previous routine? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Re: Those who resumed exercise @ 6 weeks

I have made many comments pertaining to exercising in these forums.

I will say this again. It doesn't matter which type of procedure you have done, we all heal roughly the same internally (6-12 months to heal completely). With the less invasive procedures you just "feel" better sooner. You aren't completely healed.

Now, back to exercising. I am an avid weight lifter. I was in good shape before my surgery. I'm no where near my normal workout routine and I'm 4 months post op. I'm taking it very slow and advise every woman to do the same, even if they don't lift weights. Any type of exercise can cause issues so soon into recovery. I started out using 3lb dumbbells at about 3 weeks post op (with my doc's permission) and it nearly killed me. So I was bench pressing 6lbs to start with instead of what I was use to (100lbs). I slowly increased the weights as I felt better (without straining).

At 6 weeks, my energy level & stamina was crap. At 8 weeks, it was crap. I'm just now starting to have about the same energy as I did before surgery and that's not a lot but its sooo much more than what it was. Keep in mind, when your energy level dose start back up, you will start doing more at work, around the house and then hit the gym/exercise. That is going to kick your butt for a long time. Just be patient and it will get better every week as long as you don't do anything to cause a set back on your recovery.

I picked up a 25lb weight plate last night and didn't strain too hard BUT after putting 2-25's (50lbs) on the bar for one exercise, removing them, putting 2-25's (50lbs) on another bar and removing them, putting another one on another piece of equipment, removing it...........I was feeling heaviness and a "little" twinge of pain. So, I'm gonna see if I can get my hubby to add the weights for me next time. The sad thing is I can lift the heavier weights (doing the exercises), without straining but I'm having trouble actually picking the plates up from the floor to get them on the bar without straining.

Like I always say, don't be in such a rush to exercise. Your world isn't going to fall apart if you don't for a while. The gym, pilates, kickboxing, elliptical, weights, etc, will be there when you are healed.

Take care and take things very slow.

Oh & I'm not disappointed. I new, going into this surgery what it was going to be like.....per my doc. This is the main reason why I put it off for 10 years. I'm VERY impatient but not disappointed. Hey, I've increased my bench press by 40lbs within he last 2 months. That is a great improvement.
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:06 AM

Thanks Keltec for the honest level setting. I had just started a regular running routine a few months before my surgery and wasn't in the best shape when I had the hysterectomy. I am eager to get back to exercising but plan to take it very slow -- basically start back as if I'm a complete beginner.

I think the stamina thing will be the hardest to deal with. I'll be 4 weeks post op next Mon and will return to work that day. It is clear my DH thinks things will be 100% normal. I've got to figure out a way to explain/convince him that it is still going to be awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the info!

I guess this year's dance recital in April is out. We start rehearsing about now/January and I'm going to miss it, but getting back into dancing will be difficult enough.

At the height of my dancing, I did ballet (beginner and intermediate/advanced), jazz, tap sometimes, belly dance, sometimes Zumba, sometimes floor/barre (stretching). Nothing at all conducive to recovery.

I'm not much of a walker, and there isn't really a good place to walk around where I live, plus the weather is starting to get bad and I don't like walking in this type of weather - asthma and such. Sidewalks aren't great either.

I belong to a gym so inside is more my speed. I've seen some people say walking on a treadmill flat to start out with is OK though. Any thoughts?
Unread 12-06-2011, 03:45 PM

I'm a full time fitness instructor and am at post op week 7 from a TAH. So I was in pretty good shape pre surgery an am amazed at how slow the recovery process is going. Yesterday I lead my first class in two months, it was a very low level, chair class for 30 minutes and it kicked my butt. Today I lead a similar class and did a bit more and whew I'm tired, but recovered a bit quicker and was able to walk the dogs tonight.
I don't intend to return full time until January and from what I've heard here as well as my experience as a trainer I'm guessing it will be next spring before Im anywhere near where I used to be.
My biggest frustration is that darn Swelly Belly - it grows so quickly. I was hoping that after getting those pesky fibroids removed (there were several of them larger than softballs inside) my tummy would finally be flatter...oh well by summer IT WILL BE!
Unread 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM

I had a DaVinci LAVH/BSO 15 days ago.

I was told by my surgeon and I have read that there is less trauma internally than with other methods and faster healing all around.

I work out 5-6 days a week and love my exercise classes. Twice since my surgery I have had dreams about my gym and my friends there.

Tomorrow I plan to go and walk on the treadmill briefly at a low speed. Then after a number of days I will progress to easy dance classes... and I will keep it low energy in the back of the room.

This was cleared by my surgeon and after I see him again I will go back to yoga and weights
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Tomorrow I plan to go and walk on the treadmill briefly at a low speed. Then after a number of days I will progress to easy dance classes... and I will keep it low energy in the back of the room.
What kind of dance do you do?
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:27 PM

At my gym we have NIA dance which I will do. If you don't know what that is you could google it.

We also have Zumba and choreographed dance classes
Unread 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM

I'm thinking I might go to the gym tomorrow too and just do the treadmill or elliptical and see how it goes. I had Mexican food today - pretty fattening. Last night I had **-***. I can't drift into these bad habits.

I noticed I was tired today. I was tired last Friday too. Not sure what's causing this, as I didn't have a hard day.
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:27 PM

Keltec - thanks for a snapshot of a longer timeline. I started running in May 2011 and was in the best shape I had been in for years. Planning in a 1/2 marathon in April 2012. Feeling like I should be training now but don't yet have the energy. Are you taking any vitamins to help?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register