Horizontal or Vertical Incision? Which is better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Horizontal or Vertical Incision? Which is better? Horizontal or Vertical Incision? Which is better?

Unread 06-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Horizontal or Vertical Incision? Which is better?

Hi there,
I am having a TAH (keeping ovaries) on Jul. 3rd and doc told me I will be getting a "bikini line incision". Do those heal faster? How about the pain, do you feel less pain with the horizontal incisions? Anyone's experience will be helpful

btw I am sooo scared, not about the surgery but about the recovery and the "what if's", like infection, bowel or bladder nicks during surgery, i'm so scared something is going to happen So any good outcomes would be appreciated as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2008, 04:26 PM

I have had both with 2 different c sections. I think the "bikini cut" was easier to recover from. So this should be good for you!!

Think positive!!
Unread 06-14-2008, 04:59 PM

I had a TAH on May 6th leaving only my right ovary. I had a vertical incision starting above the belly button.
Im still sore in my abdomen muscles and get swelly on each side of my incision. I took no pain meds, not even tylenol or advil. Just heat and ice.
I did have a yeast infection the 2nd week home from the antibiotics i was on. Its gone. I thought i was gonna have a uti infection the 3rd week from my symptoms, but i was a clear. It was healing symptoms.
I had no bowel issues...in fact, ive been better from the release of pressure off my bowels from the 4 pound and fibroid ridden uterus. I did have bladder spams after coming home which were quite weird.
Good luck to you.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Hi - I'm July 3rd too, TAH

My dr. said he would do a bikini line right over my old C-section scar. I hope he still plans to do that after seeing I have adhesions connecting my bowel to the rest of the fracas in there. I have my pre-op on June 23rd and that's one of the questions on the list.
Unread 06-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Hi scdw90!

Neither a vertical nor horizontal incision is superior to the other. The surgeon will use whatever will best serve your medical needs.

I had a bikini-line horizontal incision with my hysterectomy five years ago, and a vertical incision from my public bone to above the navel for my colon cancer surgery in January of 2007. Both incisions healed well without incident.

I'm sending many positive thoughts your way for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery.
Unread 06-14-2008, 10:18 PM

Skipper65~Hope the pre-op goes good for you, mine is June 25th and I also have a big list of questions & concerns
Keep me posted as to how you are doing
Unread 06-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Bizet thank you so much for your kind response
Unread 06-15-2008, 12:35 AM

Hi there... ah not to worry, think postively and all will go well my dear...

I had a hysterectomy with the removal of one ovary 7 weeks ago now, and a vertical insicion from below the belly button to the pubic bone. The doctor took out all the staples one week after surgery and put steri strips on the incision. The steristrips came off about a week later. The only time my tummy was sore is if i over did it during the day other than that I have not had any problems at all healing.

I think the trick is to rest, rest and rest some more. Do a little bit of walking from day to day BUT please let people take care of you for a few weeks, and dont lift a finger around the house.

I have never had an bikini line inscion so I cannot comment on that one.

Hope that helped set ur mind at ease.

Take care of you,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register