Went thru menopause b/4 hyster-should I consider HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Went thru menopause b/4 hyster-should I consider HRT? Went thru menopause b/4 hyster-should I consider HRT?

Unread 08-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Went thru menopause b/4 hyster-should I consider HRT?

Hi Sisters and fellow Princesses,
I had a TAH-BSO, due to a large uterine fibroid that protruded to the ovaries (I think that is how it was explained to me) on 7/29. I am 52 years old and had already gone thru menopause 4 years ago, so I didn't even think to ask about HRT. Now I am having soaking night sweats and am feeling a wee bit moody and tearful (OK-more than just a wee bit) during the day. I am not sure if these are symptoms of the surgery or if I should consider discussing HRT with Dr. I am going through my recovery alone. Went to stay with my son and his wife for the first week and felt well enough to go home. Now I am lonely, bored and very tired. I have the pain under control with Tylenol and one Percocet in the evening when the Swelly Belly pain begins to increase. I am sure that since I am going through this alone adds to my moodiness and tearfulness but I could use some opinions on if I should begin thinking about HRT.

Thanks for listening to me vent and for being out there for someone who needs support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Hey Bonnie,

I, too, had gone through meno due to chemo 14 years ago but still had a tough time with my ovaries being taken out - and being on hrt at the same time! I think you're feeling a combination surgery recovery/shock to the system and also the loss of whatever minute amounts of hormones your ovaries might have been putting out. I've changed the type of hrt I'm doing and am feeling tons better. I've been listening to podcasts of Dr. Elizabeth Vliet and she has been a godsend - you can access her info at her website Herplace.com. It does get better!
Unread 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM

your ovaries were still providing you with small amounts of hormones even though you had gone through menopause. i would definitely speak to your dr about hrt..theres no reason to feel bad for any amount of time. i hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2008, 04:29 PM

I had early menopause, several years before my June 11th tvh and cystocele. I was on prempro for years and tried to get off them for a year and still had terrible hot flashes. I am a few years older then you, however; that does not make a lot of difference here, night sweats and hot flashes are awfull, and mine have been going on for 10 years. I was given Estrace horone cream and Premarin cream to use one to two grams for 8 weeks prior to surgery. He said he would not operate on me without using that as the tissues had to be soft or it was dangerous. I felt so much better using that little bit of hormone cream and my hot flashes almost stopped completely. Everyone worries about C with hormones, but I took a chance after I tried to get off them. I also fought my first gyne who passed away 10 years ago on taking hrt....I would definitely talk to your doctor, the quality of life we have with night sweats and hot flashes is terrible...I already have severe osteoarthritis so have enough pain and want to be as comfortable as I can. take care of yourself.
JJS-tvh-cystocele-June 11th-JOAN

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register