Curious about something..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Curious about something..... Curious about something.....

Unread 04-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Curious about something.....

I've read a lot of posts on this site and there's one thing I'm curious about. Most of the women that have/had endo were treated with drugs and numerous surgeries for years before finally getting a hytserectomy. In my case I was diagnosed with stage three endo on April 1st of this year. Instead of treatment for it I will have a TAH/BSO on May 10th, next month(which will be the ultamite final treatment I suppose). I wonder how many of you were diagnosed and then had a hysterectomy right away instead of years of treatment--and suffering? I'm not complaining- I'm one of the ladies that is THRILLED to be having this done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2004, 07:30 PM

Hi

I just had my lap and d&c on Feb 23rd which confirmed the dr's thoughts that my problems were endo and adeno. Because of the size of my uterus from the aden he said that he felt it should definitely go. Together we made the decision that the ovaries needed to go too. So I also have not had years of treatment, just years of suffering. I am glad that I won't have to go through more years of possible suffering in order to try drug treatment and possibly numerous surgeries to relieve the endo.

So you are not alone in the hyster being your first line of treatment. And my surgery is the same day as yours so my thoughts and prayers will be with you as we start the road to recovery together.

Sharon
Unread 04-19-2004, 07:51 PM

Within a few months of finding out that I did have endo. confirming that it was causing my pain....I had the "whole room gutted and remodeled"

-Ang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-19-2004, 08:23 PM

Hey LIW's--I was diagnosed in Jan this year. The "years" involved for me was pain, pain, pain and wearing a diaper for a week every month.

It took me 2 1/2 years to get the doctors to stop "patting me on the head" (you poor little thing) and sending me home to take some Advil. Two years of anti-inflammatories and I ended up in the ER with an inflammation to my duodenum (how ironic).

Hence, another new Ob-gyn....a female this time....with a specialty in benign surgical procedures. Finally, a diagnosis!!
I tried the Nuvaring BC device these past couple of months only to get a bladder infection from the side effect of "leukorrhea" (nasty little discharge). Not for me, again.

I put my foot down last week, told my Ob-gyn that I wanted a hyst, and she agreed. It was a lot easier than I thought to stand up for myself after years of doing what the doctors told me without question. I tell you, a trip to the ER was ENOUGH to give me a little backbone.

I can't wait. I go Friday------HURRAY!!!!!!!!!
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:31 PM

I was formally diagnosed in June of last year. Before that I had years of hard periods and one misscarrage. I went from DR to DR trying to find one that would listen to me. I finally had a lap in June, and was told I had a chocolate cyst and stage 2 endo. After BC pills and a trial with Lupron, my pain still did not go away. After my last DR, he said that I had stage 4 endo and that I really had no other choice but a total hyso. So, here were are-I am scheduled for TLH on May 6th.
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:43 PM

I am 32, was dianosed with Adeno almost 3 yrs ago. I opted to go with treatments, because I wanted another child. Found out I ovulated once every 3 months or so, and that I could not deal with the pain each month. Also my DH had his sperm count checked, it was low, very low. So that definately ruined my chances of having another. So I chose the treatment option to try and put a hyst off as long as possible. I decide my last treatment option would be the Depo shot, and if that did not work with in 6 months, I was going to do surgery then.
Made it 1 month on Depo, and now here I am, surgery is scheduled for April 26. I could have tried more treatment options, but I am tired of playing this game, and don't want to do it any more.

I think it all depends on what stage you are at when they find Endo or Adeno, as far as what your treatment options are. I knew when I found out about the Adeno that the end result would be a hyst. At that time I was not ready, but now I am and looking soooo forward to next week.

kedi
Unread 04-19-2004, 08:58 PM

I will be thinking of you on surgery day also Multitasker(Sharon), as well as all my other hystersisters.
Unread 04-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Kedi

How was your adeno diagnosed?
Unread 04-19-2004, 09:16 PM

Was at my surgical consultation with my dr for a D & C, I was having symptoms of Endo, so he decided to do a hysteroscopy at the same time. Thats when he found the Adeno, that is also when he discovered that my left ovary does not release eggs.

Kedi
Unread 04-20-2004, 05:07 AM

Hi there,
To answer your question, I didn't have it done originally when I was diagnosed w/ Ovarian Cancer 11 years ago because I was 21 and thought one day I would have children. Besides which I just didn't think I was mentally or emotionally able to make such a decision then. Unfortunately, it took me 11 years of pain and suffering to find a GYN who would do it now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register