Anyone tell me about Hiatal Hernias relation to the laproscopic surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone tell me about Hiatal Hernias relation to the laproscopic surgery Anyone tell me about Hiatal Hernias relation to the laproscopic surgery

Unread 03-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Anyone tell me about Hiatal Hernias relation to the laproscopic surgery

This is the one thing now that is scaring me. The fact when they do lapro hysterectomy that you are leaned back head down to help keep your organs from the work area im told.
NOW what about my hiatal hernia pushing on my lung? Anyone had this problem ( in post ops?) I cant even turn on my side to sleep or to even lay down on my side / (my back is no problem ever i sleep uprightish )with out getting some pressure up in my throat feelign like lung is pressed.

Why dont they let people talk to anaesthiasts with questions. As this is a concern to many im sure.

any answers would help.. Thanks. reflux i have but they can control that im told beside the tube for breathing there is also a tube for stomach that protects from any aspiration.

Im almost ready to just let myself die of cancer then to go thru this .. im so distraught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Re: Anyone tell me about Hiatal Hernias relation to the laproscopic surgery

I would definitely talk to you Dr. about this at your pre-op appointment. You should let him know, and you should get to talk with the anesthesiologist before surgery. I am having LAVH on March 30th as well. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM

I have a big hiatal hernia and am having davinci surgery tomorRow. Ask for a pre anesthesia appt with the anesthesilogist. But I can tell you, yes, there is a breathing tube and a machine fo assist your breathing, and they can use a tube to your stomach to prevent aspiration. If you are very overweight too that increases the pressure. They can examine you and judge if they think it will be an issue. My GYN onc said if someone can't tolerate the downward tip they switch to TAH which doesn't require a tilt. Either way, anesthesilogist deal with these things a lot and can assess, andif not one type surgery you can have another type. It'll be OK. The whole business is stressful I know but truly this one can be worked out and you can proceed. And good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2010, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the replys. thus far.
good luck to you as well on 30th.

I have appt to see the PA on friday i want them to check to see if i have any UTI before i proceed since i have been having pain slightly near uretha. I plan to talk to her about switching.. I just think ill do better anesthesia wise with out a tilt .. due to this pressure on lungs i get.

we will see I will have her talk to dr. tho he is such a confident dr i bet he wont let me change.. .. I really just want old fashion method with new fashion equipment and knowledge.

Thanks for support and good luck to all you other Preops that read this.. and see you other side at post op.
Unread 03-17-2010, 09:34 PM

Hi xmistidawn,

Don't be distraught.

I had the same concerns as you before my surgery. I have a large sliding hiatal hernia/gerd. Some days I have a hard time bending over to tie my shoes. I'm also a long time smoker. I had no problem at all during or after my surgery.

I can't remember if I was given my regular prilosec when I got there, or if they told me to take it with a tiny sip of water before I came, but no problems with reflux either.

I'm also large-breasted and have a big stomach, so I was scared to death that I would have a lot of trouble - I was afraid I'd smother. Not at all. Although I did have oxygen for a little bit in recovery because I think the anesthesia and pain meds depress your breathing sometimes. It was short-lived though, and from what I understand pretty common no matter your size.

If your hospital is like mine, you'll also get to talk to your anesthesiologist before surgery. (ask at your pre-op what the procedure is - I did.) Mine came around and reviewed all my meds with me and why I was taking all of them. Then would be a good time to tell him about your concerns. I know they intubate us and all - just don't know all the specifics. I do know that we're all hooked up to all kinds of monitors, so I know if you were having any breathing difficulties due to pressure they'd know.

They're very conscious about gerd too - due to aspiration concerns and have a cocktail of drugs that help to prevent that. Plus, not eating the night before helps tremendously.

BTW, I had a LAVH BSO TVT - and I'm pretty sure I was upended for quite a bit of time to get all that done.

I am very glad I had the LAVH and not abdominal - that's such a much longer and difficult recovery.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your surgery, see you on the other side
Unread 03-17-2010, 11:38 PM

well that really does help my mind thank you so much for that response.. I dont have another pre op per say but i did make that Phys. assist/ appt for friday so if im paying i better get all my questions answered. with out them frightening me.

Unfortunately im just one of those negative people that trys so hard to be positive. But my upbringing probably has done a number on me so its hard for me to just relax and go with it.

I actually bought the bowel prep stuff got some gas x and 2 diff ducolax things the balance and the just straight softners for after .. and or for the prep.

the PA did tell me I could take 4 oz of the magnesium stuff wait then take another of the rest of it .. / once you are running clear .. and you do NOT eat anything else but clears .. that I dont have to take the 2nd bottle. providing i do clears the day before pretty much.

I guess the enema thing you do just before sleep (haha sleep ? ) thank god i need to leave house at 430 am to get there for 530 / then that means up at 3 am anyway so im thinking of tryin to sleep in the afternoon to evening after i have done that HORRIBLE prep ..

Question tho doing the prep the magnesium if you take a gas x with or before it will you have cramping? IM so worried about harsh cramping.. cuz that could make me throw up. I hate also that that stuff has saccharin in it .. great they cant even use splenda
oh well more qustions for the PA friday.
Thanks again for your support and thoughts and answers
Unread 03-18-2010, 12:10 AM

Glad to be of help, that's what we're all here for. I learned so much before my surgery here - it really helped with the anxiety of the unknown. Plus, the archives are priceless.

As for the prep, I can't answer any of your questions. I didn't have prep - just enemas before-hand. Doc's have different preference - I guess I was just lucky. I did eat light for a few days before though. My pre-op wasn't until the day before my surgery, and I wanted to be prepared.

Good luck!
Unread 03-18-2010, 02:45 AM

You will probably be able to talk to the anthesiest before surgery. Mine came in to see me in the pre op room about 30 minutes prior to surgery to ask me questions about previous surgery's, reaction to medications etc. He also let me ask him questions... so you will probably get to see yours before surgery too. If not, ask some one to bring him to you before you to to the OR.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register