Can surgery affect vision prescription? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can surgery affect vision prescription? Can surgery affect vision prescription?

Unread 10-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Can surgery affect vision prescription?

6 weeks post op and I can't see squat out of my contacts. I can see a little better out of my glasses, but not much. I am nearsighted and I'm getting a little wrinkle in my brow from squinting!

I just had my prescription and contacts changes in April! Could the surgery, anesthesia, meds, trauma, cause a change in vision? Is it possible it will return to normal with more time? Or am I going to have to visit my eye doc again and get a whole new set of contacts and glasses? (more money out of my pocket!!!! ) I am not taking HRT or any meds now that I wasn't already taking before.

Anyone else having similar problems or have heard of this happening post surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2008, 10:24 AM

I was losing reading vision b4 surgery. Immediately afterwards, it was a whole lot worse and seemed to stay that way for a while. Now, 4 weeks post-op, I feel that is the same as it was b4 surgery. Hope this helps...
Unread 10-04-2008, 10:26 AM

My eye doc told me that she has been told in classes that she has taken that women who have had a hysterectomy end up going to bifocals sooner than those that haven't. I myself ended up in bifocals about a year after my surgery. I was getting headaches for a while before I went to have them checked. But I thought it was related to sinus issues. When all of doc's suggestions for that didn't work, I went to have my eyes checked. According to the eye doc, there was notes in my record from her partner that I was headed in the direction of bifocals before the surgery. But for some reason, it came on quicker than they were expecting.

I also asked my gyn if he knew anything about a relation to the hysterectomy and eye problems and he said he had never heard of it. But I also read it in a magazine before too. So evidently there may be something to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2008, 10:49 AM

Hi Ladies, I am an optician and in my 24 years of experience, any type of major change in your body can somehow change your eyesight. Especially hormonal changes just like pregnancy. I have seen many cases of this happening. I can tell that mine is changing also nand I jsut had my RX updated just a few months before surgery so I guess it will be time to do it again
Unread 10-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks tjaxx. I wear rigid gas perm lenses and they are just awful right now. I noticed it particularly when I returned to school this week. I'm a teacher. I couldn't see what I had written on the chalkboard and I wasn't more than 20 feet away. It seems to be mostly the distance. The bifocal is working just fine. I hate to have to replace them already because I just got them 6 months ago, but I'm going to HAVE to do something. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get another pair.
Unread 10-04-2008, 02:32 PM

WOWSERS! I just got progressive lenses about a month ago. I'm almost a year post op and always had glasses for distance, and the last couple of years my close up vision hadn't been as good as it used to be, but since the hyst. it seems to have taken a nose dive. It never dawned on me that the hysterectomy/menopause may have been responsible for my vision plummeting the way it did. My opthalmologist was pretty interested in my hysterectomy, she wrote everything down, but never said anything about it being related to my eyesight. I'm seeing my gyn in a couple of weeks. I'll run it by him and see if he has anything to say!
Unread 10-04-2008, 03:46 PM

I'm also an optician, with 21 years, and I agree with tjaxx. I have seen a number of patients with prescription changes due to hormonal fluctuations or menopause. It also happens with diabetics as their blood sugar levels change. Just think about how many teenagers end up needing glasses when their hormones kick in. Now ours are out.
Unread 10-04-2008, 04:30 PM

this is very interesting! could surgery also change the pressure in your eyes???
Unread 10-04-2008, 07:25 PM

In some cases, yes. As can some allergies. It usually clears up as the other symptoms clear up.
Unread 10-06-2008, 09:47 AM

I had a drastic change in my vision after my LAVH/BSO & my eye doctor told me it had to be r/t the hormone fluctuation from my bso. He advised not changing the Rx right away since I was so fresh post-op and suggested I not change Rx until I'd finished tweaking my HRT. I waited a few months to get balanced with my HRT and my eyes were worse yet.
I got a different eye doctor who agreed about the hormonal influence, but also discovered the other part of my story was that I had developed severe dry eye & put me on a steroid drop and Restasis. The first doc hadn't tested me for dry eyes. You might want to ask about that also, since your tear layer can affect your vision.

Hope things improve for you soon.
s
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register