Advice on total laparoscopic (no vaginal assist) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advice on total laparoscopic (no vaginal assist) Advice on total laparoscopic (no vaginal assist)

Unread 09-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Advice on total laparoscopic (no vaginal assist) TLH

Hi - I am scheduled for a total laparoscopic TLH hysterectomy (uterus and cervix) in early October; this will not be vaginally assisted and no abdominal incision. I have Kathy Kelley's book and have searched this site, but don't see much on this particular procedure. I found nothing doing a search for TLH. I am looking for people who have had this procedure done - can you share your story? I did read "Max's Story", bt did not see much else on TLH. Some women I have talked to make this sound like a complete easy walk in the park - I would like the "real" story! Pain, nausea, catheter, etc. They are also doing a bladder test at that time while I am out to check leaking, pressure, etc. as another problem. Thank you for reading this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Advice on total laparoscopic (no vaginal assist)

Hi Goldfish. I'm having an LAVH and repairs so I can't give advice about the TLH but I'm really curious how they are going to be doing your bladder testing while you're out. I just had the voiding cystogram done the other day and it wasn't fun but part of how they tested was literally having me bear down and at times cough while my bladder was filled to the MAX!!!! I am leaking (I knew that!) so they are doing a sling procedure as well and I am having an A/P done as well to repair a rectocele.
Unread 09-16-2006, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the posting. I am actually having the cystogram done this Thursday and not looking forward to that. They think it is bladder spasms/overactive bladder, and sounds like exactly what you had done - I think it also includes a rectal catheter/sensors. The other test (cytoscopy)they said has to be done under anesthesia. They fill your bladder to capacity to measure it, and it is too painful to do when you are awake; they also look in the bladder/urethra with a lighted scope - I guess it is the next step in testing, and since I am having the TLH anyway, they are doing it at that time. It checks for IC (interstitial cystitis).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2006, 07:52 PM

Okay that makes much more sense then! lol The sensors they used were put in my vagina. It was uncomfortable but compared to what my surgery is going to be like..... They use a foley first to make sure you're completely drained and then use a different cath to introduce the fluids to the bladder. It was pretty embarassing to have someone staring at your pee hole while they tell you to cough and you know, KNOW, that you are going to have backwash in that tube! Pretty gross huh? Anyway the whole thing took all of 20 minutes and that was it.

Hang in there and I hope it all goes well. I'm a twitchy nervous wreck and just need to be done with this already. The waiting is just awful......
Unread 09-16-2006, 08:01 PM

As my husband says (and what I am going to tell these doctors), they should be paying ME to have a look at all of my parts and to be probing me every which way! I wish it ALL could be done under anesthesia. The very best to you on your surgery, I know how hard the waiting is, but it can only get better from here, and every day will be better than the next - you will be on the upward path instead of stuck in neutral.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register