29 and having hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

29 and having hysterectomy 29 and having hysterectomy

Unread 01-15-2010, 07:04 AM
29 and having hysterectomy

Hi- just wondering what your thoughts are about having a total hysterectomy for pre-canerous growth on my cervix. I had abnormal paps in 2001 and had a Leep done, the next few were abnormal, then after another Colpo things were normal. Over the last year I had trouble with heavy discharge and bleeding after intercourse. I went in December and had a pap done and it came back with CIN3. My doctor felt another leep or cone would not get all of the bad cells, since it was covering a large part of my cervix. With that I;m scheduled on the 28th for surgery. Just wondering if this seems like the next step. I'm a little nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Re: 29 and having hysterectomy

Wow, that is scary and I don't know what to tell you. I am not sure what those procedures and tests are though! I guess alot to think about. The biggest being do you have kids, do you want kids, is adoption an option, is there a time factor with when things can get bad etc. etc. There are two schools of thought - take it all out or take only what needs to be. I didn't really have an option she took out everything because I was at stage 4 enodmetriosis and it was all over (other organs too). I see sides to both of them. BUT for me personally I would rather have it all out than instead of dealing with issues for years and having to go back in for more surgeries. But also with that you have other issues (hrt's, dryness, emotions out of whack - only been 5 weeks so not sure what else!). It really is all up to how you feel. Good luck and hope it all goes well. This site has been sooooo valuable to me! Hope it is for you too!
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Have you thought of a second opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the responding. Yes, I'm blessed to two beautiful children. They are keeping my ovaries..but I'm still concerned that I will have problems with dryness and other issues. I had to option of having a cold knife procedure, but he told me it would not take care of the problem completely bc it is to large of an area.
Unread 01-15-2010, 07:36 AM

I am not positive maybe someone else can help, but I want to say all those issues are from taking the ovaries out and the hormone levels being messed up so if you are keeping them you may be okay.
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:10 AM

Margo,
Your story is similar to mine. For me it was an easy choice. I have 3 children and to be rid of the pain, bleeding and the disease (and future risk of) sounded great.
Everyone is different but it is important that you are sure of your choice and that you are well informed of all of your options.
I am having everything taken due to risk of Ovarian cancer so I am expecting all of the menopause symptoms to hit full force after surgery. I am always cold so the hot flashes might be a good thing (until it hits 100+ this summer). I see HRT's in my future and I know that there are other options too and will just have to work with doc to find the right thing for me.
I know this is the right choice for me but I am still nervous. (I've never had major surgery.) The support and information I have gotten from our "Sisters" is helping me a ton.
Do what is best for you!! I am here if you need to talk as are many of the sisters.
Calming Hugs headed your way.
Unread 01-15-2010, 10:44 AM

Hi Margo80,
I don't blame you for being nervous at all. I don't know what those tests mean either, but if you trust in your doctor and feel comfortable with he/she than it sounds like it is the next step. If there is any question in your mind at all then get another opinion. I know it's close to your surgery, but I got a 2nd opinion two days before my pre-op appt and ended up canceling my surgery. I still have to get the hyst, just chose a different doctor. Even if you trust your doctor and want him/her to do the surgery you could still get a 2nd opinion. If it's cancer then I would be inclined to get it done, but that's just me. Being nervous is totally normal and we all feel that way at one point or another. That's why I love this so site you will have lots of support here.
Best Wishes
alicia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register