Very Very Nervous! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very Very Nervous! Very Very Nervous!

Unread 04-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Very Very Nervous!

Thats probably putting it gently. I am suppose to have a LSH, but its 50/50. He may have to convert to TAH due to excess adhesions and scar tissue. Also, I do not know yet if I am keeping my ovaries or my cervix. As it stands I am keeping both, which actually I think keeping the ovaries is a bad idea and feel that I will have to have another surgery if they stay in. And if he has to convert he will take the cervix. Personally, I'd rather keep the cervix and have the ovaries out! I hate the unknown and will be so happy when its just over...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Very Very Nervous!

I am sorry you are so nervous. If that is truly how you feel about your ovarys you should talk to you doctor about it. I am sure you will do just fine tomorrow. I will say a prayer for you!
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Very Very Nervous!

I know you are nervous, today marks my 2 weeks post op. I am 39 and was pre-menopausal. Though i had not went through "the change" completely i decided to keep my ovaries. The dr said they were young and healthy and removing them would send me straight to menopause. If they were still useful i saw no reason in getting rid of them. That way I would avoid ,for now, having to take hormones, nightsweats and all the other joys of menopause. Everyone of course has their own senerio and i hope you do wonderfully and make the decision that is best for you. Good Luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-23-2007, 06:17 AM
Very Very Nervous!

As far as the ovaries go, I have already told my Dr. I want them out. He told me due to my age and weight he will only take them out if they do not appear to be healthy. If they are fine, healthy and no abnormalities I guess i am stuck with them for now.
Unread 04-23-2007, 06:23 AM
Very Very Nervous!

If your ovaries are healthy and there is no ovarian cancer in your family, I would recommend keeping them if at all possible. My dr recommended removing mine due to my family history even though they were healthy at the time of surgery. He said with the history in my family, chances were we'd be back in surgery again in about 5 years so I had them removed.
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Very Very Nervous!

I agree about keeping healthy ovaries when possible. I was menopausal when I had my tah/bso and still had a pretty unpleasant "surgical" menopause. My dr explained that the ovaries still produce after menopause, just at a reduced rate. I've been taking hrt ever since but natural hormones are best.

s
Unread 04-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Very Very Nervous!

I was so nervous before my surgery i had to call my doctor. They actually called in a prescription for 2 anti-anxiety pills (one for the night b4 surgery and one for the morning of). Just knowing that I could take them if I needed them calmed me down enough to get to the hospital. My surgery went fine though and I am 3 weeks post op now. Good luck, and God bless )
Unread 04-23-2007, 08:11 AM
Very Very Nervous!

Mdnghtblu5
I definitely know the "nervous" feeling. I was very afraid for my surgery and actually was on xanax at bedtime for about 6 weeks before the surgery as I was having lots of problems sleeping. I felt much better once I was done with the surgery and back home, and actually other than getting tired easily, my recovery has gone very well. I don't need any xanax anymore either. Good luck to you and make sure that you are as comfortable as possible with what the Dr plans on doing before you go through this. If you have more questions or concerns please call them back and get them taken care of.
Unread 04-23-2007, 11:22 AM
Very Very Nervous!

Hi Mdnghtblu5,

I agree with the other ladies. There are added benefits to keeping healthy ovaries. The ovaries secrete important hormones that help with overall health. As Jeanus mentioned, newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete hormones well into menopause and the hormones are *free*.

My little story. I did (3) months of lupron shots before my hyst and it caused temporary chemical menopause. I had hot flashes, night sweats, lost interest in sex and I had more trouble sleeping. Lupron sure convinced me I wanted to keep my healthy ovaries and go through ~natural~ menopause instead of surgical menopause.

That all being said...do what is right for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 04-23-2007, 12:52 PM
Very Very Nervous!

I understand the plusses of keeping the ovaries, but what I have is pelvic congestions syndrome, which is varicose veins in and around the uterus. And my worst pain is right around the right ovary and I am afraid that if left in the pain will still be there, and also the fear of it hitting the left ovary too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register