OK to be home alone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OK to be home alone? OK to be home alone?

Unread 02-08-2010, 06:23 AM
OK to be home alone?

I am sced for DaVinci on March 29th. The Dr. said I will be spending one night in the hospital. My husband will be taking the day of and the day after surgery off of work. I have 2 boys, one is 19 and in college and the other is 7. So, really no little ones to pull on and pick up. My mom does not work and lives a couple of miles down the road.

My question is this: Should I plan on going to my mom's house in the morning after my husband and child leave or do you think I'll be OK home by myself? My mom will be coming by in the morning to pick my son up and take him to school. Would it be wise to leave with her and stay at her house until my husband gets home from work?

Thank you for your responses. I have found this site to be most helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Re: OK to be home alone?

I would think at least for the first week you may not want to be alone. My DH took vacation time that first week. The second week he had to go out of state for work. I did okay the second week by myself. He made sure I had everything I needed, and things were within easy reach.
It's great that you are planning ahead. That really helps with the uncertainty that comes with surgery.
I hope things go well for you,
B
Unread 02-08-2010, 06:39 AM

Thank you. My husband is a teacher so very difficult for him to take off a whole week. He will be home the whole second week because it is Easter break. Good thing is I have my mom right down the road. I know she will come stay with me if I need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2010, 09:24 AM

I was alone on day 5 and I did ok. (I was in the hospital for 3 days too.) Hubby made me everything, so I could walk to the fridge & get it and bring it to bed or my chair. Then I'd get up to go to the bathroom & come back to bed. Everything on the main floor so I didn't have to go up any steps. I had my ipod, the laptop and the tv to entertain me.
Unread 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM

I can only speak from my own experience but I started being alone 8 hrs after surgery and had no problems. Kept my phone with me at all times and gave a friend the key to the condo in case it was needed.
Unread 02-08-2010, 10:45 AM

I would say if your mom can come stay with you, at least while the rest of the family is out, that would be ideal. I've been totally alone since coming home, and have done ok - had my apt. set up so everything was in arm's reach and comfortable. But if you have the option, have someone with you, at least for the first week or so. I think being in your own home is much easier than being at someone else's, even if it is your mom's. You can set up things in your house to be where you want them, and to be as comfortable as possible. You will also not want to spend a lot of time in the car at first, so going back and forth to someone else's home might not be a good idea.

Having someone around to fetch stuff is nice - but the most important thing is just having someone there. You have less time to think about how bad you feel (although, again, I've been lucky - I really don't feel that bad), or any of the other sad feelings that come with this change. That's where I wish I had someone around. I have spent a lot of time on the phone to feel less lonely and "forgotten."
Unread 02-08-2010, 02:40 PM

I have had a little bit of time alone here and there, but not a FULL day alone. If your Mom can come stay with you that first week, I would recommend you scheduling for her to do so. Having help that first week was a wonderful thing for me. I am 2 weeks post-op today and actually wouldnt mind a day alone, lol, but I do have to honestly say that I do get lonely when I dont have someone to talk to. Ugh..... gotta find a happy medium. Good luck to ya!!
Unread 02-08-2010, 04:07 PM

My hysterectomy was 9 days ago, I stayed 1 night in the hospital & I had LAVH

I had company when I got home from the hospital, the hospital said at least 24 hours and I wish they would have left. I personally believe, I had a cel phone & a cordless phone, I didn't need anyone. The hosptial had me overnight & I didn't have any problems there. Just get the prescription pain meds and take them as prescribed & you'll be sleepy most of the time. I didn't feel like eating much so, soup that I could nuke quick was a good thing.

As for going to someone's home, I wanted to be at my house. Sometimes my wasteband would bother my incision & I wanted to change and get comfortable, I had chills & wanted to take a shower, I don't think I'd want to be in anyone's home.

PS. Take ear plugs to the hospital, they had me in the maternity ward & with the crying babies & beeping machines all night I'm glad I had them, just tell the nurses.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register