TAH early April.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH early April.. TAH early April..

Unread 03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
TAH early April..

Hey everyone.. I am new to the pre-op area, have posted a couple of times with the pelvic floor dysfunction area.
I have had my appt with my uro/gyn and am waiting for the scheduling nurse to call me this week with an exact date of my surgery. I am having an abdominal hysterectomy keeping my cervix and ovaries. My surgery is due to uterus prolapse (cervix is really hanging out). I am using a pessary right now but it isn't working that great, so looking forward to getting that out for good (I do remove it and clean or if I am uncomfortable with it).

I do have bladder problems as well, unable to void at times, urine retention which I have to self cath at home if I need to. We are hoping just fixing the prolapse will fix the urine problems and have decided not to fix them at the same time. I do have urine leakage but my uro/gyn is afraid he will make it to were I will be completely unable to void if we do the sling right now. Hopefully that surgery won't be bad since it will be at a different time. UUGGH!!!

I am a little nervous since I do have Lupus and Fibro. My last surgery was a lumbar back fusion 10-15-09 and put me into a full lupus flare (that is when I was diagnosed with lupus and fibro). I had problems with my incision healing well so there is that fear too.. I have an appt with my rheumatoid doctor before surgery so hopefully he can answer all those concerns.

Sorry for all the rambling... Just nice to finally get it all out.. It has been one medical problem after the next for the last 3 years (2 back fusion surgeries, lupus, fibro and now this).

Melinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2010, 05:24 AM
Re: TAH early April..

I am nervous about my surgery and I have no other health issues. I am glad you have set up appointments to get your questions answered. Good luck!
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:02 AM

buckeye34

I had a TAH/BSO on Jan 25, 2010 due to a large fibroid growing on the outside of my uterus.

I have also had a lumbar spinal fusion in April 2009. I think both surgeries have about the same recovery and pain level.

Good luck to you !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM

Thanks so much. I was wondering how the pain levels with the 2 surgeries compared. My first fusion was terrible (they completely ruptured out the disc below the fusion so I was in terrible pain from the time I woke up until my next fusion 9 months later). Second was much better although I did go into a lupus flare from it.

Thanks again for sharing! Helps put my mind at ease some.

Melinda
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:49 AM

My TAH/BSO was my 3rd surgery in 8 months too. I had the spinal fusion, then a gallbladder removal, then the hysterectomy. During the gall bladder removal is when they discovered the tumor growing on the outside of my uterus. I did not have the normal symptoms of a fibroid because mine was growing on the outside of the uterus thus I did not have the bleeding problems. The general surgeon was very worried it would interfere with my intestines (it had grown very fast) so he called my gyn the night of my surgery. I did not have much time to prepare or think about the hysterectomy which was probably a Godsend !

I was much more tired after the abdominal hysterectomy but other than that the pain is similar to the fusion.

sorry to hear about your bad outcome on the 1st fusion. I too have been told that I would probably need to fuse the disc above the one they operated on. It is already showing signs of the additional strain placed on it.

Take care of yourself & be sure to update me when you know the date of your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register