Poo Problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Poo Problems

Well it seems like when it comes to poo it's feast or famine, LOL!

First I was bound up then I had diarrhea now I'm bound up again. Anybody else have this experience? I'm about a week and a couple days out from surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2013, 08:07 PM
Re: Poo Problems

If you stopped a stool softener, then you will bind up. My nurse recommended I stay on milk of mag and prunes for up to 2 weeks then taper down from milk of mag. I am one week post op, and have yet to strain to go.I do a tablespoon of milk of mag in morning, and 3 prunes threw the day. And then a tablespoon of milk if mag before bed. No diarrhea, but try what is best for you. Some might need less, some need more.
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:23 PM

Ugh. I have been eating whole foods / healthy foods for so long and yesterday we went out to a restaurant. Longhorn Steakhouse to be exact, and I had some deep fried appetizers. I think that's what did it. I was SO sick. But today it's like I bound right back up.

Do any of you experience severe pain when you go? I mean sometimes it's bad enough to make me scream. I'm still taking Colace and haven't stopped taking it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2013, 10:31 PM

I think you need something stronger then colace. I don't even have to push or strain to go. The point is to make the stool as soft and easy to pass as possible, the doctors don't want to do repairs or have us take longer to heal. I would honestly use milk of mag, at least until you go easy and then back off slowly. I truly hope you feel better soon.
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks I'll go get some today...
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:21 AM

Take your belly pillow in with you... your ab muscle are angry and need help... agree, I am almost 3 weeks and still taking a softener every other day - plan on staying on them until stitches are healed.

Water, water, water, and then a little more water.

Also try blowing out while going - I think it keeps you ab muscle from trying to tighten...
Unread 07-20-2013, 02:27 PM

I take ducolax for women 1 in the morning if I don't go I take another one before I go to bed. Grape juice also helps
Unread 07-20-2013, 03:16 PM

I have been taken stool softener since Thursday and I still haven't gone. I took some miralax hoping this will help. Does anyone got suggestions?? Been drink lots of water and teas.
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:11 PM

Missy, don't get upset yet... I had mine at the 4th day... most I have read are 5ish days. Walking, chewing gum, and water are the options that worked for me. Narcs and antibotics can add to the lack of poo problem.
Unread 07-20-2013, 05:35 PM

I have fibromyalgia with IBS so this is a constant problem for me. My GP recommended taking Magnesium. I take 3 or 4 250 mg tablets a day and this helps more than anything else has. I no longer need the stool softeners. You can find Magnesium in any drug store or larger grocery store. It's inexpensive too. Start with a smaller dose first. Everyone reacts differently. Magnesium also helps with leg cramps. Good Luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register