Things that helped with my healing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Things that helped with my healing Things that helped with my healing

Unread 02-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Things that helped with my healing

Hi Sisters who are preparing for this surgery!

Now - I am no doctor so everything I suggest should be run by your doctor - but here are a few things I did to help with my healing. I am now 3 weeks post op and my doctor said I am way ahead of the game. Therefore I want to share this with you all. I think there are a variety of reasons which are:

- about 6 weeks prior to the surgery - I increased my excercise routine almost manically. I tried to get as fit as possible which included doing 500 situps a day. Post surgery - my abdomen muscles made such a difference in getting in and out of bed etc.

- eating well - Andrew Weil has a book called "8 Weeks to Optimum Health" which was my bible when I battled cancer 2 years ago. I have maintained a lot of those habits since then. A huge one: Green Tea.

- Arnica. A holistic/natural medicine (definitely clear this with you DR if you are taking other meds). I took it in pellet form. 3 days before surgery - started taking 3 pellets 3 times daily. Post surgery - took the same amount for about 1 1/2 weeks.

- Vitamin C. My grandfather was a renowned chemist and in his later years endured many surgeries. His mantra was high doses of Vitamin C. His doctors were always amazed at his quick healing. Immediately post surgery - I was taking 6000 mg a day. By week 2 I went down to 3000. Now I am just taking 1000.

OK - that's my unsolicited advice. Again - check with your doctors about Arnica and Vitamin C - but I really swear by all of this. Good luck ladies!! Love and light - Jenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2003, 01:12 PM

My doctor said doing abdominal exercises or other exercise wouldn't make any difference, but I increased my exercise routine 2-3 months before surgery. I took a multi/vitamin tablet too. I think it did help, but I'm very healthy anyway, and this contributes to a fast and easy recovery. I don't believe in huge Vit C doses (was your grandfather Linus Pauling???) because the extra just gets excreted in the urine. It won't do any harm though.

I don't have any idea what arnica is , but you MUST tell the A man EVERYTHING you take when you go to pre-op. Just because it's "natural" doesn't mean it won't cause problems with bleeding during surgery, or anesthesia.
Unread 02-26-2003, 01:20 PM

Please keep in mind that the FDA regards arnica as UNSAFE. It has been known to cause heart, vascular nerve, and GI disturbances, as well as death. I cannot emphasize enough the potential dangerous mix of herbal supplements before surgery. If you insist on taking it, you must inform the anesthesiologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-26-2003, 02:42 PM

Hi Jenny, I thought this sounded good, so decided to buy the book you recommend (found the hardback on half.com for $1.70 plus shipping of $3.25!) and typed in arnica as a search... I'm a little confused because you say you took it in pellet form. I'm assuming that means you swallowed it. The following is what I found on several sites about arnica. Can you clear this up for me please?
Thanks,
Susi

<<<Common use: It is typically rubbed on the skin to soothe and heal bruises, sprains, and relieve irritations from trauma, arthritis and muscle or cartilage pain. Applied as a salve, arnica is also good for chapped lips, irritated nostrils and acne.

Toxicity: The internal use of Arnica is not suggested. It can cause vomiting, weakness, increased heart rate and nervous disturbances.>>>
Unread 02-26-2003, 02:57 PM

Arnica as a homeopathic remedy can be taken internally, I used it before and after dental surgery, allowing the tiny tablets to dissolve slowly on my tongue as directed, maybe this form is safe as it has tiny tiny amounts in it as have all homeopathic remedies. I think it did help.

I've used it externally for sore joints, sprains etc, and am not sure that it did much, in fact a recent study here on external use concluded that it was not effective at all. However Jenny, I believe that whatever works for us individually is a good thing, provided our Drs are aware we are taking it and approve of it.

Glad to hear you're doing so well ,
Vicky
Unread 02-26-2003, 03:49 PM

Yes - that is how I took the Arnica - it was a homeopathic pellet - they are very tiny. Wachusett is right though - you should always check with your own doctor (as I did) before deciding if you want to use it. (I did stress that in my original post several times as you will recall.) Anyway - I had no problems at all with it - but you do need to be aware of what you are already taking and that they won't mix badly. It was originally recommended to me by a friend who does acupuncture and holistic healing.

NO - W - my grandfather was not Linus Pauling - but I just looked him up and honestly - they sound like the same person! At least with their feelings about Vitamin C. How funny. My grandfather was Michael J.S. Dewar. I wonder if they knew each other. Probably. :-)
Unread 02-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Thanks

Thanks Jenny for the info. Yes, I did see that you stressed checking with your own doc. Always a good idea. I have a bleeding disorder and have to be VERY careful about what I take. I was actually thinking for my DH. He has a very strange thing happen when using things like a chain saw or rota tiller (anything with heavy vibration like that). His hands swell up and he has to sit on the couch with his hands over his head or in a bowl of ice water. I was thinking this might be something that would help him. He loves working in the yards.
I'll look into it some more = )
Have a super day.
Susi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register