6 days post-op - bladder issue, I think??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post-op - bladder issue, I think??? 6 days post-op - bladder issue, I think???

Unread 04-07-2009, 10:01 AM
6 days post-op - bladder issue, I think???

On 4/1/09 I had a vaginal hysterectomy, kept my ovaries, bladder sling, vag wall repair and rectal lift.
My problem is that I have been feeling like I have to pee, but when I go, only a small amount comes out. Maybe my bladder is emptying (I'm not such a big drinker), but I'm not sure.
Anyone out there with the almost constant pee feeling at 6 days post-op?
My doc has put me on antibiotics since my discharge "just in case" so I'm on Cipro. It doesn't hurt to go, but it just feels like I always have to go.
Today I'm really trying to drink more and see how it goes.
Otherwise, all seems to be fine. I'm off of painkillers and the Colace works great for me.
Am I just a worry-wort, is this just part of the recovery?
Some good advice would really be great to hear, from those of you that have been thru this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Re: 6 days post-op - bladder issue, I think???

I had my bladder sling done 2 years before my hyster. I also felt as though my bladder was not emptying after surgery. After talking to my doctor and posting on this site, I was told it was normal and that I needed to retrain my bladder.

I would keep in good contact with your doctor and if things seem to get worse go to the ER.

Good Luck
Unread 04-07-2009, 11:23 AM

For me, it was part of the healing process. It never burned to go, I was just GOING or FEELING like I had to go a lot. Then when I would, it would just be a little bit that came out. I found that caffeine made it waaaaaaaaay worse. Even now, 6 mos post op, it still happens occasionally.

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2009, 02:18 PM

That makes me feel better, maybe it's all part of my healing process too. For me it doesn't hurt or burn either.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post. I feel a little more reassured.
Unread 04-07-2009, 02:41 PM

That is totally normal. I never had a UTI but had all they symptoms. Your bladder was pulled to the side for the surgery & it will take a few weeks for it to get back to normal. It was just traumatized. Best wishes.
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:12 PM

I had that too but my bladder was not emptying all the way. I had to get the catheter back for awhile. But after I had it out the second time and I started to have that issue again, I took 800 mg of Ibuprofen and I peed well! The urethra can and often does get swollen, so maybe try that and see if it helps you.

good luck,

Starbgirl
Unread 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM

I have had symptoms like that though not from surgery. What gave me relief was to drink a lot of water and cranberry juice, get the pads for those with bladder control issues, go to the washroom and empty as much as I can, then let myself use the pad for small amounts for a few hours. I don't know why it works, but after a few hours I can remove the pad and clean up and my bladder has corrected itself. Good luck.
Unread 04-07-2009, 09:11 PM

That doesn't sound like a bad idea. I was wearing the real thin pads for a while & figured if I sneeze & a little comes out I will worry about it later.
Unread 04-08-2009, 05:45 AM

Starbgirl, how long after the surgery did you have to be re-catheratized?
Unread 04-08-2009, 07:55 AM

It was maybe 3 days? I just kept feeling like my bladder wasn't emptying all the way. I started running a little fever and I was getting very uncomfortable. So I went to the ER and they did a bladder scan which showed my bladder was huge. They drained 1200 cc's of retained urine! I had the cath put back in for about a week. When I had it removed the second time, I remember one night I couldn't go much just a little and I thought I might have to get it back. So I took 4 Ibuprofen which I think is 800mg and it helped the swelling enough so that I could go. I just kept up on that Ibuprofen after that and I ended up not needing the cat again, but even then it did take my bladder a long time to feel normal.

If you call you Dr they can scan your bladder in the office. It is painless, takes just seconds and can put your mind at ease.

Good luck to you!

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register