Do all women gain weight following hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do all women gain weight following hysterectomy? Do all women gain weight following hysterectomy?

Unread 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Re: Do all women gain weight following hysterectomy?

Hi Sundee,

I had my hyst in 2004 and I have not gained weight. If anything...I lost the poofy stomach I had with fibroids.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2012, 01:58 PM

I've lost 10 lbs so far, but I'm not that far into my overall recovery... I sure hope that 25-lb gain is avoidable because that is what I need to be loosing! I've been looking forward to feeling better and exercising more after my recovery. I have to admit, I was hoping the surgeon would tell my I had a 10-lb uterus, not a 1-lb, lol!

I haven't visited it yet, but there is a section up here that is in support of eating and exercising for good health... that might be something worth taking a look at
Unread 11-26-2012, 02:27 PM

I too was hoping for a large uterus and perhaps some thigh lipo while she's there. Somehow I think that is not happening ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM

I've lost 14 lbs at 2 weeks post op and can't afford to loose another. No appetite since surgery. But I've done a lot of reading on this one and they say a menopausal women needs bout 100 cal less a day with exercise to maintain wt.

Pretty much, u just need to live a healthy lifestyle...
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcythia View Post
But I do think there's a tendency to believe that you should be very inactive during your recovery since you should avoid work and lifting things. I walked regularly from 2 weeks post-op and I'm sure that's helped me avoid gaining weight.
Forcynthia...when you say "walked" at 2 weeks post op, do you mean shuffling or brisk walking? And how far? Just around the house or out in the world?
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Do all women gain weight following hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcythia View Post
Your metabolism does shift a little, but I lost around 8 pounds after surgery. I recently regained 5, but it's starting to go down again. I have been trying to be more active and eat a little less, but it hasn't been easy. But, when I re-loose the 5 pounds, I'll be out of the obese category and back down to the merely fat category.
Hehe fat category... Thanks for the chuckle
Unread 11-26-2012, 10:04 PM

I lost about 40 or 45 pounds in the year and a half since my surgery.
I worked at it, though.
Good diet and 4 times a week exercise.
I wear a size 6-8.
Before the hysterectomy, I was a size 16.
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:13 AM

I walked a mile at least every day from about day 10 onwards, before that I was just shuffling around the garden and walking slowly up the road and back every day.
After day 10 I was still very slow at walking but I persevered until I got back to a more normal pace. By week 8 I was walking about 5 miles quite comfortably. Since going back to work I have stopped doing the walking and am putting weight on... not a big surprise!
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:29 AM
Do all women gain weight following hysterectomy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatBazz View Post
I too was hoping for a large uterus and perhaps some thigh lipo while she's there. Somehow I think that is not happening ...
LMBO!!!!! Kat, I feel your pain, sister!! I told doc that if he wanted to go ahead & do a tummy tuck while he's in there, that'd be great. And I told the nurse at pre op yesterday, when she weighed me, "yeah, my boots weigh 50 lbs!" She laughed & that broke the ice. Btw, she didn't believe me about the boots. Lol.
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM

Definitely not!

I'm down about 20 lbs since surgery.

There's no difference whatsoever, I watch my calories, eat healthy foods, and exercise regularly and I can lose weight easier than before my surgery. I started walking day 5 and increased my time / distance every day, then returned to the gym week 5 without missing a beat.

We are NOT doomed to weight gain post surgery by any means. (there are exceptions to everything and some women have problems with weight for medical reasons, but that seems to be the exception rather than the norm. I'm not a doctor so I can't quote stats.).

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register