What happens if... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What happens if... What happens if...

Unread 02-16-2006, 06:04 PM
What happens if...

What happens if Aunt Flo arrives just in time for surgery? I'm calling my Dr. tomorrow to see if I can stop my bcp's, I've had a stomach bug and can't keep water down let alone these pills which have always made me sick to my stomach anyway...just tired of them after all these years! Anyway, I'm worried if I stop them now Aunt Flo may be a few days later than normal and might rear her ugly head on March 13...can they still do my surgery? How do things work out logistically? Not to be gross, but can you go into the OR with some type of feminine protection, or how would that work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2006, 06:07 PM
What happens if...

You probably should check with your dr., but mine said it didn't matter to him. And yes, Aunt Flo is visiting me right now and my surgery is on Monday. I think you're supposed to wear a pad and the hospital will probably put something under you anyway. I'm not too worried about it. I'm sure it happens a lot to women before their surgeries.
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:07 PM
What happens if...

You can call your doc and ask (especially about if it's ok to stop your pills), but as far as having your period when you have your surgery, it shouldn't be a problem. Some women NEVER stop bleeding, so if they had to wait to do the surgery it would never happen. If it does happen, just tell the nurse when you get there and they'll give you hospital panties and a pad or a chux to sit on and you'll get to say goodbye to your period with a bang!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2006, 06:11 PM
What happens if...

I had my period when I had two different surgeries last year. They gave me the lovely mesh panties and a pad to wear.
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:26 PM
What happens if...

Hi

Sorry you're not feeling well.
I had aunt flo when I had my surgery. I'm not sure if you're having VH or AH ?
I had pads under me, large blanket type deposible things. The staff etc. were great and I did not feel uncomfortable about this. I think I was more freaked out about the surgery pre-op to consider this part at all. I had that, I want to run away feeling before surgery. The waiting truely is so hard.

Wishing you the best Sweet Trailblazer39 hope you start feeling better real soon!
Unread 02-16-2006, 06:37 PM
What happens if...

Aunt Flo reared her ugly head the morning of surgery, and it was not a problem. The hospital will give you their "fashionable" mesh panties and a pad, or just put a pad under you till they take you into the OR. More than likely it won't delay your surgery, but for peace of mind call your doctors office and ask. Best of luck, I hope you fell better soon.
Unread 02-16-2006, 07:00 PM
What happens if...

Thanks Snooky...
I'm sure you're right and it happens to many. In a weird way I keep forgetting what's going to happen and I'm thinking 'oh man, how will I deal with aunt flo after surgery?'....keep forgetting I won't have to...strange how my mind works sometimes (or doesn't work)!
Thanks
Unread 02-16-2006, 07:03 PM
What happens if...

Thanks Blowhorn,
I am one of the "no kids" minority too! You're right, had my surgery been last July I would have been bleeding no matter what day of the month it was, I didn't think of it that way...I took my (gag) pill tonight and will be calling the doc tomorrow to see if I can stop them - thanks for the advice!!
Kim
Unread 02-16-2006, 07:06 PM
What happens if...

Thank you Plant Lady. I keep hearing about these mesh panties - I'm picturing an onion bag ??? I think I'm worried because Aunt Flo was with me during my last ultrasound and MRI - that was NOT fun....I had to wear hospital pants for the MRI, they were a size small and very, very tight and the whole time I was worried I'd spring a leak.
Thank you,
Kim
Unread 02-16-2006, 07:13 PM
What happens if...

Thanks Enchanted!!
I'm feeling better, not sure if the stomach problems are related the other stuff going on or not :P Due to size of my uterus I have to have an AH. Ok, that is very helpful information regarding the disposable blanket thing, that would make it very easy. I was most worried about the point in time where we're in the surgical gown and nothing else but not quite being wheeled into the OR yet....I guess at that point I'd get the mesh undies or the big pad for underneath...
(sigh of relief)
Thank you!!!
Kim

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register