LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July - Da Vinci an option for me and would like to know your experience | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July - Da Vinci an option for me and would like to know your experience LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July - Da Vinci an option for me and would like to know your experience

Unread 06-19-2014, 06:42 PM
LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July - Da Vinci an option for me and would like to know your experience

Hi ladies!

I have an LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July. My doctor also said that he generally uses the DaVinci, but told me I can decide to have him not use DaVinci if I want to. He briefly explained DaVinci to me, but I wanted to get some info, stories, advice from people who have had it done with DaVinci.

I'm nervous, but I think my husband is more nervous than I am (I am definitely directing him to the Mister HysterSisters site!) since I have already been through a major surgery before (though I have never had a major part of my body removed like this.

I wasn't planning on having a hysterectomy when I went to get the Essure coils placed, but I have been having complications ever since, and this is the 3rd opinion from a doctor, and 2 out of 3 said hysterectomy (with the other being my implanting doctor who is not my favorite person right now).

I have an almost 5 year old who will be starting school in late August, towards the end of my recovery, but I am definitely nervous about my husband (who is my sons step dad) taking on all the responsibilities while I am recovering. I also have school, but luckily that's all online, so I will have that and netflix after surgery (and I have a nice comfy bed).

I'd love any tips for preparing for the surgery, opinions etc. on DaVinci, and whatever else anyone has to say!

Thank you And nice to "meet" you, I am sure this site and forum will be a valuable resource and support group for my upcoming surgery and after
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2014, 07:39 PM
Re: LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July

Hi Jessica!

First off, take a deep breath. The waiting for surgery is the worst part of this whole process. It's very common to have just about every emotion under the sun... And that's completely NORMAL!!
You have a little time before your surgery, so now's the time to start preparing your house, your recovery "nest", and your family for your recovery. There are wonderful articles on this site that give fantastic suggestions and tips on what you'll need at the castle, things you'll need or want once you get home, and all kinds of tips for preparing your home to make things easier for you AND your DH. Please take a little time to read through some of them! It also gives you a plan that keeps you busy to help the time pass.
My DH has been wonderful since my surgery and before even. He stepped up and took care of everything (yes, grouchy and crabby about it at times, but he did it!!). The one thing I had to keep reminding myself... 'His way of doing things isn't MY way, but if I'm not the one doing the work, I can't complain!' LOL. At least he was trying and succeeding most of the time!
I had LAVH, and only had three tiny "poke holes". The pain afterwards for several weeks was pretty moderate for me, but still so much better than what I had been dealing with every month!! Try to remember that recovery generally takes weeks to months, not days. If you follow your Drs instructions post op about lifting, bending, stretching, etc and listen to your body, you will do just fine. I'm 12weeks post op now and still have to watch my lifting and push too much some days and get achy and sore, plus still have swelly belly in the evenings, but I would do the surgery all over again in a heartbeat!! It's so nice to not be in horrible pain all the time, no more fear of wearing white or light colors, and I'm having a blast buying pretty panties because I won't ruin them!!!
Best of luck to you sweetie!! If you have questions or just need to vent, you'll get great support, advice, and answers here. 😇Lissa
Unread 06-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Re: LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July

Hi ohdearjessica to HysterSisters!

All of what you are feeling, and your DH's nerves, are very normal. This is one tough surgery to face and process.

I did not have a Da Vinci but plenty of ladies on this site have. Hopefully one with experience will see this post and respond. In the meantime, here is a brief explanation of the surgery types: Hysterectomy Explained and Types

Keep in mind that during recovery you will not be able to concentrate for a time. So give yourself time to recover - thinks weeks and not days. You will need help with household chores and taking care of your little one. Again, think weeks and not days. The key is to listen to your body - you only get one chance to heal right.

You might want to check our pre-op page for surgery prep. I would also recommend that following:
-Get meals in the freezer that you can just pop in the microwave
-Get a recovery corner set up with pillows and blankets
-Get loose fitting clothes
-Get a small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (these hurt after surgery) - it also works to protect your tummy for pet and children visits
-Super clean your house, as you will not be doing that for some time after surgery.

And we are here for you - you are not alone in this. We will be by your side throughout this process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Re: LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July - Da Vinci an option for me and would like to know your experience

Hi jessica,
I had a full hysterectomy with a surgeon who used a davinci robot. He made it sound like it was simply a tool, nothing more, nothing less. I had done a lot of research and was pleased to know that he was skilled in this type of surgery because that was what I really wanted. The important things are 1) how much experience does your surgeon have using the robot? If he's only done it a handful, of times, let him get his practice elsewhere. It's experience you want. 2) ) I'm not positive but I think it's a better method for women who are significantly overweight. Also very little blood loss. 3) ultimately, laproscopic surgery is what you want, robot or by hand. The robot is the cutting edge (no pun intended) but I think your doctor's skill is the most important thing of all. Good luck!
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM
Re: LAVH with tube removal coming up in mid-July - Da Vinci an option for me and would like to know your experience

Hi Jessica, Welome! I just had my LAVH on 7/9/14. My doctor is very skilled at Davinci and that was my only option with her. I had gone for 3 consults and I liked her the best. I had a very pleasant outcome with her. I have 3 little incisions on my belly and one with a stitch actually in my bellybutton. They have surgical tape on them and I am cleaning,out the bellybutton with hydrogen peroxide. I have no indication thatmit was done vaginally from the outside. I am so,happy I went with her. I cannot imagine having the gas pains on top of the stitches/ sutures that some people get. The gas pains hurt more than anything, they feel very sharp. Be sure to stock up on Gasx, you will absolutely need it. This was the first time I have ever bought it. I had my uterus,tubes and cervix removed. I am 46 and had no regrets about it. My biggest fear was about being put to sleep, as I had never had surgery before, but they take such good care of you. Listen to the nurses and the discharge instructions. Good luck!
Unread 07-16-2014, 04:31 PM

I had daVinci radical hysterectomy w/BSO and if I had to do it all over again, I'd have daVinci again. It was my only minimally invasive option since we knew going in I had cancer. I was back to work at full duty (very physically active job) 30 days after surgery. I have 5 little bitty horizontal scars that are hardly noticeable. As other have said, ensure your doc is experienced with the robot.

Blessings.
Unread 07-16-2014, 06:00 PM

Another DiV here. I would have no other when given a choice. Before surgery I watched a video of one on youtube. If you don't freak out over stuff like that, might want to watch one. I used what I saw to ask more questions from the doctor about if he did "this or that!" The surgeon is using a 3 D camera with amazing clarity. I got to see pictures of what he saw. Blood loss is minimal - usually a teaspoon at the most. I did not ask him how many he had previously done but he did say he had lots of experience. I believe him because so far I have had no major problems, just normal recovery. I have not even had spotting from my cuff (knock on wood). I did check online to see if there was anything against him. Healthgrades.com is a good place to check.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register