LSH - how long before you were out of bed? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH - how long before you were out of bed? LSH - how long before you were out of bed?

Unread 12-30-2008, 05:07 PM
LSH - how long before you were out of bed?

Seems like a wide variety of time frames for LSH. Thanks to all for sharing. Take good care of yourselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-30-2008, 07:12 PM

At my pre-op my doctor told me that I would get up the day following surgery, but the nurses were insistant that I get up the same day.
Unread 12-30-2008, 10:06 PM

Hi Hope,

It was only when I came back to your thread that I noticed the LSH bit. Blame it on the hormones.

I had a LAVH with complications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2008, 07:25 AM

Thats ok Jacquie
There has been a change in plans. My doctor told me last night to resolve my pain the cervix has to go also. I'm assuming (no I didn't ask last night) the procedure will be LAH now. So I guess my question now would be will the time out of bed be different? I wouldn't think so right?
Unread 12-31-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope09
There has been a change in plans. My doctor told me last night to resolve my pain the cervix has to go also. I'm assuming (no I didn't ask last night) the procedure will be LAH now. So I guess my question now would be will the time out of bed be different? I wouldn't think so right?
I would think any kind of Laparoscopic and/or Vaginal hysterectomy would be about the same as far as time in bed and in the hospital.
And than a abdominal hysterectomy would add to your time in bed and in the hospital.
Unread 12-31-2008, 02:15 PM

Since getting up and around is about circulation, it should be the same no matter what type you get.
Unread 01-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Hey Hope, I had an LSH BSO 5 weeks ago at 7:30 am. I was discharged the next day at 1pm. They did not force me to get out of bed. I got up on my own, with some help, in the middle of the night because I felt like I had to pee. I was nauseous the first time I got up, but I never threw up. It took me a while to pee. I'd get up about every 2 hours, feeling like I had to go. I'd sit on the pot for a while and only a trickle would come out, but it made me feel better. By morning I was peeing pretty normally. I did not get up except when I had to go to the bathroom. It takes a while to figure out the least painful way to get up and lie down. For me, the process of lying down has been the most uncomfortable. But once you're flat on your back, it gets more comfortable. The first day I was home, my family was amazed that I could walk around just a bit after having such extensive surgery. For the first 2 or 3 days, I just got up for brief periods of time to pee or get something to eat. Most of the time, I just slept or talked with family. I walked around all hunched over until about the 3rd day, when I could stand up straighter. The pain meds help a lot!
Unread 01-11-2009, 08:33 PM

My surgery was at 9AM, LSH. I woke up in recovery at 11AM. My catheter was removed in recovery. I was in my room by noon....then to a CAT scan by 12:30PM. Back to my room before 1PM and having my first snack (cheese and crackers) by 3:30PM. By 4:30 PM I used the bathroom for the first time and walked the halls with my nurse. All went well.

I had the "boots" on for a few hours, and actually had them on after I got up and walked as they set them to a very soothing massage, which felt good. But, once I wanted to settle in, I asked that they be removed.

I did not have much in the way of pain meds. I did not need them. I took half a dose of Oxicondone and twice the normal interval, because I thought I was supposed to stay ahead of the pain...there was really no pain.

I drank far more water than the nurses expected. I drink a lot of water normally, so I drank a TON of water.....they were refilling my water bottle every hour for most of the evening. Yea!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register