Opinions please - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Opinions please Opinions please

Unread 08-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootGrl View Post
I can't add much to what everyone else has already said here, but I'll throw in my 2 cents as well.

I kept my ovaries and my cervix. My main consideration for both was whether they posed a statistical risk of cancer. Because I have no family history of ovarian or cervical cancer, I decided to keep both my ovaries and cervix. I also read that having the ovaries removed can contribute to heart disease, something that does run in my family, and osteoporosis - I'm already plenty short, thanks, so I didn't want that.

As for the type of surgery, it does depend on the size. I don't recall my measurements, but I had three large fibroids inside of my uterus. The whole thing weighed 2.5 lbs after removal. Because of the size, I had to have a full incision. It's not really that bad, and so far, comparing my own recovery to the sisters who had surgery in the same week, I'd say I'm holding up just fine as compared to those who had laparoscopic surgery. I did get a second opinion, and that helped to put my mind at ease as to whether I was doing the right thing. It sounds like you have some time before you have to commit, so I'd recommend getting a second opinion as well.
Thank you. Did you have your fallopian tubes removed? TIA x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-29-2015, 06:47 PM
Re: Opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisey C View Post
Thank you. Did you have your fallopian tubes removed? TIA x
I did have my tubes removed. They serve no purpose at this point, and as another poster mentioned above, there's a growing belief that ovarian cancer might actually originate in the tubes.

I also should mention that I gave my doctor permission to take my ovaries and/or cervix if she saw any problems once she was in there. She said they looked fine and honored my desire to leave them intact.

Good luck!
Unread 08-30-2015, 01:21 AM
Opinions please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootGrl View Post
I did have my tubes removed. They serve no purpose at this point, and as another poster mentioned above, there's a growing belief that ovarian cancer might actually originate in the tubes.

I also should mention that I gave my doctor permission to take my ovaries and/or cervix if she saw any problems once she was in there. She said they looked fine and honored my desire to leave them intact.

Good luck!
Thank you x

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register