Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Getting Out of Bed, Post Surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Getting Out of Bed, Post Surgery Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Getting Out of Bed, Post Surgery

Unread 08-27-2015, 01:04 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Getting Out of Bed, Post Surgery

I am not nervous about my hysterectomy (12 more days), but I just read the article about getting in and out of bed after surgery and have a question. We have a memory foam mattress, which I love, but even without surgery getting out of bed can sometimes be interesting! I am very over weight, which doesn't help.

If you have had your surgery, and you have a memory foam mattress, how did you manage?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Getting Out of Bed, Post Surgery

I don't have a memory foam mattress, but I wanted to say that there's a standard technique for getting out of bed called a "log roll" that's recommended to patients who've just had abdominal surgery. You can find videos on YouTube.

Basically, you lie on your side at the edge of the bed. Use your arms to pivot on one butt cheek so that your legs swing down over the edge of the bed while your torso rises upwards. You're now sitting on the edge of the bed. Stand up. It may help to have a heavy piece of furniture nearby to use for support when standing up. I shoved my exercise machine next to my bed before leaving for the hospital.

Practice this technique with your bed and mattress before surgery to see if it works for you.
Unread 08-27-2015, 08:31 AM

I folded a king sized sheet on the diagonal. Keep folding until it becomes like a big long "rope". Bring one end up near your pillow and then tuck all the rest between the mattresses. It should go the legenth of the bed - like your body does. The "rope" should be on top of all the bedding. Then you can use the rope to help pull your body up after you are on your side. This was a total lifesaver for me. It will take a little practice to see what works for you. Sending good thoughts your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-27-2015, 11:54 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/8: Getting Out of Bed, Post Surgery

Hi Ca2SCTeacher,

I put a dining room chair with arms next to my side of the bed. Really helped me get in and out of bed the first few days of post-op.

Sending best wishes,

Historylady
Unread 08-27-2015, 01:53 PM

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the advice!
Unread 08-28-2015, 04:38 AM

I don't have memory foam either but I have a fluffy topper on my bed, I'm heavy, and my bed is really high. Honestly I couldn't even get in or out of my bed without help for the first 10 days so I slept mainly in my recliner (electric, no forcing with a handle). My husband works nights so it didn't want to be stuck in bed.

When I was finally able to get out I did it by maneuvering myself parallel to my headboard and pulling myself into a seated position from there. Now I'm still not able to roll from side to side but I can sit straight up with little help from my arms behind me and pillows.

I remember in the weeks leading up to my surgery everything I did I was made aware of how much my abs were used for it all, and I wondered how I was going to manage too. I would try to do things without using them and thought I had things figured out, but in reality I had to re-figure everything out. I realized quickly it wasn't something I was able to really prepare for.
Unread 08-28-2015, 06:27 AM

It really is not bad at all getting in and out of bed once you master the technique that others have described of rolling onto your side, dangling legs over the side of the bed and using arms to push up into a sitting position, you should be able to do it on your own. Ask the nurses in the hospital to coach you if you need help. It should only take a couple of tries to get it, and once you have, you should be good to go!
Unread 08-28-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHoney View Post
...I remember in the weeks leading up to my surgery everything I did I was made aware of how much my abs were used for it all, and I wondered how I was going to manage too. I would try to do things without using them and thought I had things figured out, but in reality I had to re-figure everything out. I realized quickly it wasn't something I was able to really prepare for.
Think of it as an opportunity to learn more about how your body works. :-)

Some years back, I had a bike accident that left me unable to bend one knee for several weeks. I remember waking up the morning after the accident in my bed at home - which was actually a mattress on the floor - and realizing that my usual method wasn't going to work. It took me several minutes to figure out how to get to a standing position with only one bendable knee.

So when I arrived home after my hysterectomy, it was like, well, here we go again! Time to start figuring more stuff out! :-)
Unread 08-28-2015, 07:09 AM

Thanks for all the great replies!
Unread 08-28-2015, 08:16 AM

I have a memory foam bed too (love it - never going back to a traditional mattress). I think the memory foam actually makes it easier because it doesn't sink down like a traditional mattress. As others have described, roll onto your side, dangle your legs out over the edge, and push up with your arms to pivot your legs down. I haven't had any trouble with this maneuver.

Good luck with your surgery!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register