Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Mar 26, 2017 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Mar 26, 2017 Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Mar 26, 2017

Unread 03-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Re: Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Mar 26, 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPrincess View Post
Hi!
I'm having my surgery on Thursday (DaVinci total hysterectomy and removal of tubes and ovaries). I'm 55 and already in menopause so my Dr tells me I shouldn't need HRT. Anyone else?
RustyPrincess. Best wishes on your surgery dear. Though you have already gone through menopause, you may notice the symptoms to be a little worse after surgery. I can't take HRT and I had stronger symptoms when surgical menopause hit. My doctor explained that even though I had gone through menopause 12 years earlier, my ovaries will still producing a wee bit of estrogen. Not being able to sleep again has been the main issue and we are still working on that. It would be good for you to keep a journal so you can discuss your symptoms with your doctor at your Post op.

Surgical Menopause After Natural Menopause

Love to you dear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2017, 07:20 PM

DGJP8991,
Gina,

The length of surgery is dependant on the number of procedures you are having done. A simple hysterectomy only, can be as short as 45 min to an hour with each additional procedure adding on that amount of time. The time it takes to clear any adhesions or endometriosis will also add to the time and is not always known ahead of time. I had about 5 procedures done and adhesions to be cleared and my surgery took six hours.

Talk to your surgeon before your surgery and make sure your family knows what to expect. My husband started getting antsy when I was not out of surgery at 4 hours, but I forgot your ask how much longer my surgery would be with the added procedure. Prep time in the OR took about 45 minutes before the actual surgery started, then another 20-30 minutes before the surgeon was able to go out to talk to my family after it was done.

You will want your walker with you as it is important to get up as soon as you are cleared to walk. Some shoes or slippers with good traction will be important also.

and prayers for a successful surgery and uneventful recovery.

DH
Unread 03-26-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finley2 View Post
Hi,
I am 49 years old and having my hysterectomy 3/28 robotically. I have endometriosis and they will also remove as much as they can at the same time. I had a similar robotic surgery 5 yrs ago to remove endometriosis. The goal is to leave my ovaries. The dr said it may be dependent on the endometriosis.

All in all I am nervous about the entire thing and all the "what ifs". I am also nervous about how I will feel hormonally if my ovaries are affected.

Grateful for this group as there is so much I don't know. I appreciate all the guidance, support and advice.

Thank you
Hi Finley2. I know the thought of surgical menopause can be scary. Menopause affects us all differently . . . I don't deal with hot flashes but I do deal with brainfog and not sleeping. I think that being thrust into it can make it hard. Here are some articles to read through that will give you lots of info.

6 Tips to Help you Prepare for Surgical Menopause
7 Tips for Managing Surgical Menopause without HRT
Do This - Not That: Managing Surgical Menopause
Menopause Articles List - you will find several articles here under "HRT Alternatives".

Best wishes dear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2017, 07:24 PM

Thank God I found this site!!!!!! I am so much more at ease!!! Thank each and every one of you~!! Gina
Unread 03-26-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risamay34 View Post
And my fears r also towards the healing time,the complete inconvenience of 6 to 8 weeks of being completely helpless!!
Hi Risamay34,
You won't be completely helpless for the entire 6-8 weeks. The first week you likely will be resting a lot either in bed or on the couch. But you will be up and walking around the house and perhaps down to the end of your driveway a few times a day. As the weeks progress, you will be doing more and more. Simple meals, very light housework, walking around the block. You will be able to drive when your surgeon says it's ok... then you can go to the store (just don't lift anything over your lifting restriction and don't push the cart). Stock up on reading, movies and craft projects to help keep you occupied while you heal.

Unread 03-26-2017, 07:43 PM

Intimacy Post Hysterectomy

Intimacy post hysterectomy is a major concern for many of us. Please don't be shy to ask all your questions to your GYN, your GP or to us! All questions and concerns are completely valid, and we have all heard it before!

Since our sex drive is largely fueled by our hormones, if you retain your ovaries your sex drive/libido should still be there post hysterectomy. If you have your ovaries removed, HRT can help with this.

The more time you spend here, the more you will see that we are all very unique and each have our own unique experience. Some women feel sex is much better post hysterectomy, some say it is the same, and some say it isn't as good. I think the reason for our surgery can play a role in this... for example, if you have pain and bleeding with sex, it will likely be better post op once those issues are resolved.

Women who experience uterine contractions with orgasm will no longer have this sensation once the uterus is removed. Some women feel their orgasm is shallow in comparison. Sometimes we have to make some trade offs for relief of our pre-op issues.

Here are some articles regarding intimacy post hysterectomy:

Hysterectomy & Intimacy: Ask the Doctor

Hysterectomy, Cervix & Intimacy

Intimacy After Hysterectomy: Better or Worse?

Will Sex Be Different After Hysterectomy?

5 Surprising Facts About Intimacy After Hysterectomy

Try not to worry, get your positive vibes going for your surgery and then just focus on a healthy recovery!

Unread 03-26-2017, 08:14 PM

Good Evening Sweet Sisters,

Well I have just gotten through reading all of your posts after getting home a couple of hours ago. And I would like to start by publicly thanking Marciamae, sugarandspice, and bkfranke for answering all your questions and concerns. You have to admit we have some great Hostesses here on HS. I am also so glad to see you are already connecting with and helping each other. This is what make HS such an amazing place.

My Mom is glad to be home and I am looking forward to seeing you all on the other side. I would like to add a few comments or maybe more correctly stresses. You are having major surgery this week. It is OK to be nervous, (deep breathing can help) but let your Dr know if you need some help as the time gets shorter. They want you relaxed and ok as you go into surgery. We as you can see will be here to help you not to mention lots of cyber ((hugs)) and we understands. We all are different so we can't tell you exactly how it will go but we will share our experiences and those of other sisters we have gotten to know along the way. Feel free to ask any question and if needed just vent, the we understands are real.

Please join DH and me on the Recovery Progress Report thread as soon as you are ready to post.

Lots of Sister hugs and prayers,
Anndy
Unread 03-26-2017, 08:36 PM
Pre-Op Hysterectomy: Open House Chat Thread - Today Mar 26, 2017

Tuesday is my hysterectomy. I'm looking forward to get this done with. I hate having to be away from my 3 boys for a night. I also not looking forward to the pain after.
Unread 03-26-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvance4 View Post
Hi guys i am scheduled for my total Hystorectomy on Wed 3/29 they will be found out laprascopicly. They will be removing my cervix, uterus and tubes with possible ovaries. I have 4 kids ages 10, 7, 5, 2. I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma in situ earlier this month.
So some of my fears are death, the pain after surgery, how soon will I bounce back, hormones/sex drive.
Can't wait for all of this to be over with so I can feel normal again. This will be my 3rd surgery in 3 months. Previously had a leep then a cone.
This has been the year of granny panties. Lol
(((Mvance4))) All those feelings are perfectly normal, so please don't feel alone in them. Ladies often report the anxiety and mental torture they experience prior to surgery as some of the worst aspects.

As for your diagnosis, I'm very glad you're catching things at an early stage when they're most treatable. My adenocarcinoma was just a bit beyond yours at IAI, and I'm still here going on twelve years later with no sign of recurrence. Speaking of all that, I did want to let you know we also have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out, if you'd like. There's lots of great information and experienced ladies glad to offer their assistance.

Please remember many sisters have walked the path you're beginning and made it. And, if we did, SO CAN YOU! Sending hugs and all good thoughts to you and everyone having surgery this week!
Unread 03-26-2017, 09:23 PM

hello everyone,

I am having a davinci robotic surgery on Thursday March 30th. I am 36 years old, no kids. I decided to have the hysterectomy instead of a myommectomy for my fibroids (largest is 10cm) because they tend to grow back in my family. My fiancee and i are on the fence about having kids but fortunately we are in a position where we still can if we really want (she has a uterus and can carry children).

I am getting nervous- I have been feeling calm about it but i keep getting pangs of nervousness. I am having a total hysterectomy and also removing tubes but keeping ovaries. I may change my mind about keeping my cervix at the last minute, we'll see. My doctor is open to that.

Looking forward to recovering and sharing stories with you all.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register