endo w/bowel problems | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

endo w/bowel problems endo w/bowel problems

Unread 02-22-2003, 02:24 PM
endo w/bowel problems

I would like to know if anyone, who has had endo with ibs or other bowel problems, has gotten relief from having had a hyst. I am afraid that if I have a hyst it will not relieve my ibs problems, but possibly make them worse. My biggest problem with endo is the hormonal problems, which I think has worsened my ibs problems. I have had almost all the GI tests known to man and they have all come back normal, so my GI doc says that it is most likely ibs and it is most likely related to the problems with my endo. So, has anyone had these similar problems and had the hyst and gotten relief from the depression and the ibs problems?
If I go ahead with my surgery it will be a LAVH/BSO. Doc says everything has to go.

Thanks,
meanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2003, 04:35 PM
endo w/bowel problems

Hey there. I too suffer from IBS. Mine is adenomyosis not endo. related although the two conditions go hand in hand. I just had a dnc and the ibs is worse than ever now. I am not sure how a hyst. will effect ibs, but I too am very curious as I am facing a LAVH late march early April.
Good luck to you, I will be checking back to see if anyone has anything for us.
Abby
Unread 02-22-2003, 04:38 PM
endo w/bowel problems

Hi Meanie,

I have had severe endo for years and had bowel problems that were getting worse over time. X-rays revealed nothing. When I had my lap just over a year ago, it was found that there was a large adhesion from the endo on my right bowel. The adhesion was removed and my bowel problems stopped - it was amazing! (I had the same with my bladder and urinary problems as well). I still did have to have the hysterectomy because of the endo, but the bowel problems, for me, did not reoccur!

Best of luck to you - I hope all goes well.

Sandra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2003, 04:57 PM
endo w/bowel problems

Sandra,

You don't know how relieved I am to hear that the hyst has helped your situation. I'm sure Abby is also helped by your post! I just wish I could get this over with. However, as you know, I have lots of preparation. My doc has given a list a mile long:

Have tests done by family doc

Have blood work done at hospital, etc.

On top of everything else it seems like a lot to do and have to go to work every day with my mind on this surgery and not on work! It is very hard to do my job right now. I still have times when I think.....maybe I'm just being a baby......maybe I don't really need this surgery right now......maybe I'm just over reacting.....maybe I'm just crazy!

Please tell me if you had some of these same thoughts

Thank you so much for your reply, you and Abby both
Unread 02-22-2003, 09:14 PM
endo w/bowel problems

You've asked such a good question because that's exactly what I wonder, too. I've had symptoms of endo for almost 8 years, but only recently did I get a diagnosis. I'm still in a great deal of pain, but my doc says that if I'm in pain two months from now (to allow the maximum amount of time to heal from the surgery--three months total), it's most likely not the endo. That doesn't surprise me, but in two months I will see my primary care doc to start figuring everything else out ... like the bladder and bowel problems, as well as the limb/joint pain and being tired all the time (for years--they've tested for everything from leukemia to lupus to liver/kidney/thyroid failure). It just occurred to me that maybe a hyst will never solve my problems.

I hope everything works out for you, and that someone is able to shed some light about whether or not a hyst can help with your IBS, as well.

Unread 02-23-2003, 07:39 AM
endo w/bowel problems

Hi ladies,
These are great questions. I do know of some ladies who appeared to have ibs in addition to endo and after their hysts, the ibs symptoms disappeared. My daughter in law is one of these lucky gals ... had her hyst over 10 years ago, primarily due to severe endo and adeno and she has not had a recurrance and no longer has ibs. So, there are success stories out there.

On the other hand ... not everyone is this lucky. After undergoing a battery of tests at age 30, I was diagnosed with ibs. Fast forward 15 years ... I learned I had stage 4 endo and my gyn said it had been there MANY years. I had a TAH/BSO just over a year ago. For about 6 months post op, my intestines were "quiet." Then I started having some problems again. It could be ibs ... or it could be endo and/or adhesions. This is just so tough to diagnose. I'm working with my gyn and GI doc now to try to figure this out.

Bottom line: there are no guarantees and there doesn't seem to be a good way to determine ahead of time whether or not all your problems are really due to endo, or if you actually do have ibs as well.

Best of luck ladies. I know how difficult it is to make these decisions since there are no absolutes. Keep reading, weigh your options carefully, make the decision that feels best to YOU.

Beth
Unread 02-23-2003, 11:59 AM
endo w/bowel problems

Beth,

You and the other ladies have given such great info!

I was wondering with ibs symptoms were any of you ladies affected by the symptoms during certain times of your cycle?

I seem to have mine once a month about one to seven days after the last day of my period. It's a scary thing to look forward to every month.
Unread 02-23-2003, 12:08 PM
endo w/bowel problems

Now I'm not sure if I have IBS ... it's one of the possibilities along with Crohn's, but I'll have to figure that out with the doc in April.

But to answer your question, whatever bowel problem I have, it used to be the case where it was definitely based around my cycle. I would have a lot of problems right before my period, at the very beginning of the period, and then the week after leading up to ovulation. However, now it's every day. :cry:

I certainly hope that doesn't happen to you, though.
Unread 02-23-2003, 12:21 PM
endo w/bowel problems

You poor woman

I think we are on the same page. So far my attacks have only happened to me when I have been at home. I hope that you find some relief soon.

For me I think that I have come to point of the hyst. I think it is worth it, eventhough there's no certainty that it will cure my bowel problems. I feel like I have tried everything else and it just keeps on getting worse. I don't know what else to do. I am ready for the hyst. I have researched it to death and questioned it so many times that I can't think of any other reason not to do it. Look out castle here I come!
Unread 02-23-2003, 12:31 PM
endo w/bowel problems

Best of luck to you!

I'd certainly like to hear how it goes because I dream that one day my pain will be under control. It just takes time to figure it out, and I can't argue with that. I'd like to say that I'm at that point now where I could say let's go with a hyst because I have been dealing with all of this for years, but it's the beginning of my journey and I don't have that option right now. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register