stuff for at home? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stuff for at home? stuff for at home?

Unread 10-25-2003, 11:47 AM
stuff for at home?

okay, I'm not thinking straight right now. I've got just this weekend to get whatever I need. I've got the essential aids: benefiber, colace, gas-x. I've got the drawstring pants, pillows,etc, etc.

What I need to know, cuz I can't keep a thought in my head, is what should I stock in terms of groceries for me, over our regular stuff cuz my DH is absolutely lost in a grocery store? (could tell you some funny stories...)
Help, I'm a wreak.
thanks
peg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 11:53 AM
stuff for at home?

Hi Peggy,

My suggestions would be things that are not too hard on your stomach at first - soup, jello, pudding, crackers, etc. Things that you like and are easy to prepare. You probably won't feel like spicy Mexican food at first and you do need to drink lots of liquids including water, herbal tea (some gals find that peppermint tea helps with gas), juice, etc. And you'll also need to get some fiber into your diet in order to keep your intestines working - so things like oatmeal, fruit, veges are also good.

If DH is not too handy in the kitchen, maybe some frozen items that are easy to prepare would help.

Sending more hugs your way.

Beth
Unread 10-25-2003, 12:24 PM
stuff for at home?

the first 4 days I ate and drank toast, apple sauce, herb tea, cranberry juice, pudding (had to send my husband out for pudding), and I wanted coke but I kept forgetting to ask someone to get it for me. oh and I had bottles of water next to the bed and couch. I found room temp water to be easier to drink than cold. my first few solid meals were mellow, such as what you would eat if you had stomach flu. it's been 2 weeks today and we're going out for burgers today -- that's how long I've waited to eat substantial food.

I had cough drops at the side of the bed because the cold air and intubation during surgery gave me a throat tickle for the first week. and you want to avoid coughing at all costs!

I didn't really do much at first except watch tv and look at the computer. I wore pajama pants, granny panties, and a tee or sweat shirt all day and night.

and by the way, my husband is the same way at the store as yours. one of my first short walks was walking next to him at the grocery store getting stuff we needed. I started to "hit the wall" when we were standing in the checkout lane. just barely made it to the car. let him load everything into the car, and when we got home, let him unload everything. then I went into the kitchen quickly to make sure he got all the refrigerated stuff into the fridge. I ended up buying tucks medicated pads and more tylenol along with all the food stuff.

he lived off cans of soup and chili when I was bed-bound. and I organized meals for our toddler on a little tray, then I went back to bed and let him feed our child. ha! taught him quite a lesson! he doesn't criticize me anymore now that he sees how difficult it is to make a child eat and not smash it on his face or throw it at the wall!! ha ha ha

good luck! and remember, your friends will be happy to pick up an item for you when they come visit you. don't be shy about asking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 12:46 PM
stuff for at home?

Hiya Peg,

I hate to be the one to break this to ya, but you MIGHT want to go ahead and get a box of pads, too..... there is a good possibility that there will be some spotting and discharge after your surgery. Some gals have none. Some have a little bit for a week or so. I had it for 7 weeks. And I was not pleased that I had to actually buy another couple of boxes of pads (panty liners)..... I actually also used them to protect my incision, too, and so my incision would not seep into my panties.

Another item that is always on my list when I'm not feeling very shiny is popsicles and Italian Ice.

and best wishes!!
Unread 10-25-2003, 01:20 PM
OMG foods I can't eat!

I hadn't even considered I mighht not be able to eat my normal junk food diet after my surgery! I only eat junk food, NO vegatables, fruit, salads,no jellos, soups, puddings. OMG what will I do ?? Can I eat Ice cream Its my favorite thing! Please say I can eat cake & ice cream and I'll be a happy princess.
Unread 10-25-2003, 02:21 PM
Pads, oh on!

thanks for the list ladies. I'm headed back out for one last shot at the markets. This grocery store strike is really messing things up around here. Our suburb only has the stores that are on strike, so we have to drive pretty far or go to costco.

Criss, as far as pads go...

I also react badly to antibiotics as well, so I did go ahead and get another box of panty liners for the "just in case" and bought some OTC medicine for that. It's too bad a Hster doesn't take care of THAT little beast as well. Either way, I think I'm prepared except for the food.

peg
Unread 10-25-2003, 02:32 PM
stuff for at home?

Peggy Rae!
You are in RSM, I'm Foothill Ranch. Which hospital?

Heidi
Unread 10-25-2003, 02:46 PM
stuff for at home?

Heidi,

Oh my goodness!!!

I'm at Saddleback Women's down by the laguna hills mall! Looks like you are going in to the castle around a month after me.

How are you doing? The waiting is miserable, isn't it? I've waited 9 weeks.

peg
Unread 10-25-2003, 02:51 PM
stuff for at home?

Peggy,
Mission Hospital for me...11/25/03. Yes, the waiting is hard. You get to second-guess yourself at least 3 x a day. Do you have enough support to help you after?
???
Heidi
Unread 10-25-2003, 02:56 PM
support system

Heidi,

as far as a support system, I am very fortunate in that regard. My DH is home for a week and a half. He works out of our house but travels quite a bit out of town, mostly over the weekends. My neighbors and my employer are absolutely terrific.

Finally, this site has been awesome for support as well. I've spent all my weekends alone since just before labor day when I got the bad news, just before driving DH to the airport. I don't think (as crazy as I'm feeling right now being so close to castle date) I would have done as well as I have, sanity wise, emotionally, etc, without the ladies on this website.

How bout you?
peg

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register