Camping 8 weeks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Camping 8 weeks post op Camping 8 weeks post op

Unread 04-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Camping 8 weeks post op

I had planned on camping (tent, and cot) with The Boy Scouts in KY, it would be an all day drive (not me driving). Anybody go camping this soon, and how was it?

Dr gave me the pre op news yesterday, just liquids the day before, so I guess the big meal will have to be the day before that.

Anybody have trouble sleeping the week before? I have been waking up, and of course all I can think of is the surgery. I might ask if I can take something to help me sleep.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Camping 8 weeks post op

I'm interested in hearing from others about this as well. I am planning to go with my class on their end of the year, three day, 2 night overnight trip. I will be exactly 6 weeks post op. I don't expect to do all the activities that they will be doing, but I want to be there just the same.
Unread 04-30-2004, 10:56 AM
Camping 8 weeks post op

Well, one thing I have learned from my almost 4 years on this site is that we all have very different recoveries! So, I can only give you my experience.

I was 28, and in excellent physical condition, when I had my TAH.

At 9 weeks post-op, I went to a renaissance faire with my mother. It was about a 5 hour drive away (she drove), which was much more uncomfortable than I had thought it would be. I got to the hotel and immediately collapsed in bed!

The next morning we got up and went to the faire. After a couple of hours of slow walking around, with plenty of sitting, I was absolutely EXHAUSTED! I was also EXTREMELY swollen (abdomen and legs), and sore.

We left early, and she drove me home. By the time I got home, I was almost in tears I was so sore and tired. In all honesty, I can't remember ever being so tired in my life. It took me several days of laying around with my feet elevated to feel ok again.

In retrospect, I never would have gone. I feel it set my recovery back at least a week.

So, that's just my experience. Hopefully, your recovery will be easier (up to that point, mine had been very typical), but please be prepared that you may not be able to follow through with your plans.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Camping 8 weeks post op

I think I could have gone camping, but would have done a lot of relaxing. It also depends on your definition of camping. To some it's a tent to sleep in and nothing else, while to others it's living in a fully equipped park in a luxury RV!! We camp in a tent trailer and have a dining tent - there is a lot of bending to undo zippers and get out of small doors, etc. But by 8 weeks, I would have been ready to get away and do some normal stuff, and would have gone on a camping trip if we had scheduled one. I would have just taken it easy and not gone on any 8 mile hikes or swam across any lakes!!
Good luck, and I hope you have a quick and easy recovery.
Shelley

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register