Unsupportive family, scared I ripped something | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Unsupportive family, scared I ripped something Unsupportive family, scared I ripped something

Unread 08-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Unsupportive family, scared I ripped something

I had a large (22 cm) uterus removed on 8/3, using non-power (hand) morcellation with some assist from below through my cervix, which then had to be sutured. My entire stomach was bruised and I had hard lumps around my belly button, which is still a bit raw and a little infected (on antibiotics).

Today, I had a horrible fight with my unsupportive mother and sister, and had to pick up two struggling 18 pound tom cats, their cages, pack the car, drive myself three hours back home, and get everyone upstairs into an apartment. In addition to feeling so saddened and stressed by my crazy family--which watched my pets during surgery but otherwise is making this process so much harder--I am worried I pulled or ripped something. I have been alternating between heat and ice, and took advil and put my binder on, but my stomach aches now and much more of it seems to be rock hard and swollen--not just the area around the incision.

I know only a doctor could tell me for sure, but just seeking thoughts on whether I could have done any real damage if I didn't rip an incision? I'm hoping I just strained and aggravated my stomach muscles but am worried about hernias, scar tissue, etc. Is there a cream I could rub into the hard areas to try to help soften and heal them? (Tried a little Arnica.) How long does the hardness typically last? Sorry for such a long message. I will snap out of it but for now, feeling so down and clearly a little sorry for myself Grateful for this NON-CRAZY online family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2015, 05:18 PM
Re: Unsupportive family, scared I ripped something

Are you bleeding? Are you running a temp? I know you said you were on antibiotics so you are also depleting your body of useful bacteria. If you have probiotics take them. Yogurt with live culture has them too.

I would rest as much as possible. Try not to do anything more than you need to for the next few days except for walk around your place. No more lifting of those cats! If things do not improve by Monday, call you doctor for some peace of mind. If it gets worse, you might have to go to the ER.

I am going to believe with you that it is just swelling from all the activity. With rest and taking it easy it will resolve itself.
Unread 08-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Unsupportive family, scared I ripped something

There is some watery pinkish liquid coming out of my belly button now--different than the previous ooze (sorry, gross)--but that actually made the stomach hardness subside a bit? No fever. I will call the doctor on Monday just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-15-2015, 05:58 PM

I bet that both you and the toms feel better now that you're back on your own territory and out of an emotionally stressful situation. :-)

I'm with Charlotteel - rest tomorrow, call the doc on Monday, call the ER if things suddenly take a turn for the worse.
Unread 08-15-2015, 06:58 PM

I'm sorry you had a difficult time with family. I can totally relate. My mom came to stay and was very helpful but decided while she was here, it was project time. She stressed me out, wore me out and wore herself out. I wound up outside walking her dog cause she fell asleep on the couch. After a week or so I thanked her for her help and sent her home. I was much more relaxed and in a lot less pain. Please relax and rest rest rest. The other girls are right. Call doc on Monday. Get well soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register