Any help for panic attacks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any help for panic attacks? Any help for panic attacks?

Unread 06-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Any help for panic attacks?

I had a LAVH/BSO 3 weeks ago. Been having anxiety and panic attacks since a few days after surgery. Just woke up at 3am with my heart racing and cant seem to get calmed down. Any suggestions for dealing with these episodes?
My Dr. did prescribe a few xanax which help but I am hoping this is a temporary thing until my hormones adjust?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 08:27 AM
Re: Any help for panic attacks?

Oh, I feel you! I have been having anxiety/panic attacks and crying jags for the past week or 2... My doctor has had me on ativan in the past, and so they just prescribed that again. I used to be on xanax but it made me zonk out within like 25 mins of taking it, the ativan is better, it kind of "calms" my head down, and still allows me to function.
When you wake up in the middle of the night, you can call me. im usually up too! lol!
No, in all seriousness, when it happens to me I just try to do something while I am waiting for the meds to kick in... start reading a book, find something on tv, put a movie on...
Hope I was able to help some! xox!
Unread 06-22-2009, 11:15 AM

I have been on xanax for about 3 years now. I normally take it on days where I feel like I need it. Since my surgery I feel like I am eating them like m &m's....I constantly feel edgey and like I could explode. I am definitely going to ask my dr. about it when I see her Wednesday. I do not like this feeling and I am sure you all don't either!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks, it did help to turn on the TV last night and get a little distraction. Once the meds kick in I feel fine and think now that was not so bad but when I am in the middle of an attack, whoa I feel like I should have padded walls in my bedroom!
Unread 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM

I know how you feel and the bad thing is I kept my ovaries. I can't imagine how much it must be for you having had your ovaries removed. I too started having panic attacks a few days after my surgery. My doctor just told me to quit worrying! I eventually did start on Lexapro because I became depressed also. The panic attacks always hit me in the middle of the night. From what I hear it's very normal until the hormones get balanced back out.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register