Large tummy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Large tummy

With my surgery date nearing, one of my fears is about my stomach, I quit smoking a year ago and I gained weight around my tummy. My Dr says it will be harder to heal when your overweight so I am a bit worried about that. Any info would be appreciated??? have tried to diet and lose some pre surgery but with cramps and all, just can't do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Large tummy

I quit smoking 5 years ago and gained 40lbs. My doctor hasn't said anything about it being harder to heal when you're overweight. I suppose if there's a LOT of flesh over (on top of ) the incision that might be an issue but ???
Unread 08-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Large tummy

I don't know if it is harder to heal if you are overweight. I went in for a LSH but ended up having an SAH because the uterus was so large. The staples ran from my navel almost to the pubic bone. Shortly after they were removed, the incisino opened about 2 inches. I had to learn to pack the wound (no, the DR didn't just sew it up). Both he and the home care nurse said the wound would eventually close and it did earlier this week.

Everyone is different in the way they heal. Please just pamper youself after the surgery and best wishes to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Large tummy

Thank you LauraArtist and Intune 101, I appreciate your words and info. My Dr said he would be doing the bikini incision and I am concerned that my stomach when sitting will cover the incision. I will mention it again to the nuses on my pre op day, maybe it might be better for a horizontal???? When you say pack the incision because it opened? Did it hurt? You said you had a nurse come in?? I am too woozy of a person and would faint if I had to do that. I am for sure going to allow pampering, I want to heal nice and stronly. What about them using the steri tape after removing the staples?? On my list of questions for my Dr. that will be one of them.

thanks so much for your support. this site is awesome. I have learned so much and any worries get taken care of quickly. Everyone is so wonderful.
Unread 08-25-2006, 11:41 PM
Large tummy

The bikini line incision is horizontal, Stevali.
It's low, just above the hair and about 6-10 inches across. Some people call it hip-to-hip. A vertical incision often starts just above the belly button, goes around the button and down. That is usually longer than the other and is often considered more difficult to heal - at least that's what I've been told. Double-check on staples too. I'm not getting staples but I'm not sure if I'm getting stitches, glue or ster-strips ... or maybe some combination thereof.
LauraArtist is correct that everyone heals differently, and what is "right" for one person is not suitable for another.
Unread 08-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Large tummy

I am a fluffy sister with a nice apron that hangs over my incision. I had concerns about keeping the incision dry so after showering I would use my blow dryer (on low) to ensure dryness. Also, sometimes when lying on the bed I let the incision air dry. When I had my staples removed at 7-days post op the surgeon was elated with my healing process. By the way, I do not feel my excess weight has hindered any part of my healing process. My recouperation has been smooth sailing. Hope this helps!
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Large tummy

thank you Intune101 for correcting me, my mind is so busy, I couldn't get the wording correct. I do agree that we will all heal differently, most importantly is that we all make sure we get the rest to recoup. I have made notes on all my concers/questions and when I go for my pre op appointment I will speak with the nurses then.
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Large tummy

hi pbaus, thank you for your words, I am so happy to hear that you are having such a great recovery so far. How soon after surgery, were you able to shower? Also, how soon were you up after surgery and getting out of bed? I have heard some are able to get up within a few short hours. Thank you again for your help. I so appreciate it. Keep up with the great recovery.
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Large tummy

I am concerned about that too but my mom is about the same size and she had a hysterectomy a few years ago(non cancer related) and she couldn't have a vaginal one due to her size. At her 1 week check up to remove her staples she asked her GYN (also my GYN) now if she could go back to work the next day and he begged her to stay off work 10 more days. So I am hoping I heal as fast as she did once I have my surgery.

I hope that helps you out. BTW we are both over 250lbs.
Unread 08-26-2006, 08:42 AM
Large tummy

hi Fosterscreation, thank you for sharing your info. WOW, sounds like your mom healed quickly. I am glad I posted my question for it has really been "weighing" on me and with my date nearing, I have been hard on myself to try and lose some weight pre surgery. Good luck to you and best wishes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register