Belly button question for LSH'ers | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Belly button question for LSH'ers Belly button question for LSH'ers

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Belly button question for LSH'ers

Ok, so I had my lap surgery last Tuesday. I have 3 incisions, one in my belly button, and then one on either side of it. My question is this... when I look inside of my BB (with a hand held mirror) it is freaking me out. I can see in and it is not closed up in the middle, and looks like yellow pus. It also hurts behind it. I had a tummy tuck two years ago and have a "new" belly button, so I am worried now that it is not going to heal up right. Do I just need to be patient and let myself heal? (Think I know the answer to this already.) Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2007, 01:34 PM

Well, I had been to chicken to look underneath the band-aid over the steri- strips on my navel. After reading your post I got up the courage and took a look. Mine does look kind of open and there is a very small amount of liquidy stuff. Not sure if it's just some water from my shower a little while ago, it looks a little brownish. And one side of one of the steri-strips came up. Needless to say, I put the band-aid over it and won't be looking again for a while,
None of mine look very healed, except the one on my right is just a little line, the one on my left had a little tiny bit of blood but not much. And I have a bonus one below my navel too! yippee!

I hope someone further in recovery comes along because now I'm wondering too! Mine don't hurt to much so I'm not real worried. I think holes in our stomach might just take a little longer to heal. But call your doctor if they become more sore or if your worried.
Take care
Unread 07-09-2007, 02:36 PM

I had my LAVH on July 5th. I have one incision just below my navel and three tiny incisions on bikini line. My gyn told me that the band-aids could come off the day I left the hospital (July 6th). I waited the next day, since the 3 band-aids on the bikini line were attached to my hair...eeks...and I thought it would hurt pulling it off. Got in the shower & gently pulled all band-aids off. Steri-strips can stay on, & just let them fall off naturally. Most docs want the band aids to come off so the area can "dry to air", heals better.

Do you notice a smell to your drainage, because if you do, call up your doc & see what he says, since sometimes drainage can have a nasty odor & be a sign of infection.

Lizzie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-09-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie6
I had my LAVH on July 5th. I have one incision just below my navel and three tiny incisions on bikini line. My gyn told me that the band-aids could come off the day I left the hospital (July 6th). I waited the next day, since the 3 band-aids on the bikini line were attached to my hair...eeks...and I thought it would hurt pulling it off. Got in the shower & gently pulled all band-aids off. Steri-strips can stay on, & just let them fall off naturally. Most docs want the band aids to come off so the area can "dry to air", heals better.

Do you notice a smell to your drainage, because if you do, call up your doc & see what he says, since sometimes drainage can have a nasty odor & be a sign of infection.

Lizzie
I would call and tell the docs what you see. My holes never had any drainage, including the belly button....so what do I know - in a prior surgery,though my incision was infected when it started oozing pus - so call!
Unread 07-09-2007, 03:08 PM

I have had naval incisions for both procedures. Neither time did I have drainage although the skin was very yellow from bruising.

My mom did have an infection when she had her tubal and she had difficulties resolving it. If you think its infected, you should contact your Dr. Infections slow down our recovery.

Julie
Unread 07-09-2007, 03:32 PM

I had Dermabond holding my 3 incisions together. All three of mine oozed some plasma looking stuff. My belly button incision was the first to ooze. I called the doc and they didn't seem overly concerned about it. At 7 days post-op they told me to clean with 50/50 H2O/hydrogen peroxide 3 times a day with a cotton pad. I don't think any of mine are infected and they seem to be all healing. When I had steri-strips with my lap. gallbladder removal several years ago, I don't remember any oozing...but then maybe I just don't remember.
Unread 07-09-2007, 03:36 PM

My belly button hole was sooo small...plus I put my belly ring back in at 3 days post-op (the stupid thing had already started to close), but I don't remember any drainage per se. I do recall a little bit of a smell, so I took a q-tip and peroxide and cleaned the area. I would call your Dr. to calm any fears.
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM

I also had my LSH on the third and the dr used dermabond on the incisions. All three have oozed something but I don't have any real pain with it. Your pain might mean something so a call to your dr will probably make you feel better. hang in there!

katy
Unread 07-09-2007, 07:35 PM

OK so I just went to look with the hand mirror!!! Steri strips are still on 3 of the 4 incisions-I too have a bonus one just above the bikini line. DH (who is a nurse) says I need to let the steri strips come off by themselves so the wound doesn't open. The one that had a band aid rather than a steri strip (Doc said it was bleeding a bit afterwards) looks good- and all are closed up with derma bond I think..
No oozing, no pain in any of them-the one at bikini line itches a little bit- I think that should mean it's healing up ? Or the hair is growing back into the steri strip!!!!
Unread 07-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Hello to everyone that has responded to this thread.

I am glad that I raised this question about my belly button ... it seems that I have made others curious as well. Just to clarify, I don't think the pain I have behind the belly button is infection. I think it is just painful from being ripped open!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register