Hysterectomy due to breast cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy due to breast cancer Hysterectomy due to breast cancer

Unread 12-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Hysterectomy due to breast cancer

Happy Holidays. I am new to the site. My question is-I had breast cancer which was pr+,er+and HER2+, and I am now wondering if I should have a hysterectomy? My gynaecologist thinks it is a good idea. I am meeting with my oncologist this week and will ask him then. However, I was wondering if anyone out there has thoughts on this question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 03:13 PM

Hi there, Dakota!

I'm sorry that you have this concern, but there is a relationship between Breast Cancer and ovarian cancer. Many doctors will tell you that having a preventive Oophorectomy (ovary removal) is not a bad idea when you have been diagnosed with Breast cancer.
Have you had genetic testing?
Good luck with your appointment this week. I am sure your oncologist will help shed more light on your situation.

xoxo
k9
Unread 12-22-2007, 03:17 PM

I guess it would depend upon your age and whether you plan to have children or not or have finished with your family. I believe that even if you are post-menopausal your ovaries still produce some estrogen.

I had a hyst due to endometrial and very seriously asked my gyn/onc if he would consider removing my breasts. (I'm 65) Because I've had a previous gynecological cancer I am at an increased risk of breast cancer. He replied that no doctor would surgically remove what is considered healthy tissue.

I hope other Sisters come along and help you with your quandry. Good luck. anna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Anna,

I have quite the opposite experience...because I have dense breasts with cysts I have a breast surgeon that would love to do a preventative mastectomy. I'm reserving judgement til I am brave enough to go for genetic testing..and even then......I am not sure I could voluntarily put myself through that. I dont' know, but there are women who do it.

Have you ladies checked out our breast health forum here on Hystersisters?
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/forumdisplay.php?f=224
Unread 12-23-2007, 12:02 AM

Hi (((dakota27))) Are you on any type of adjuvant therapy after the breast cancer - i.e., Tamoxifen? Usually the women who have a hysterectomy after breast cancer are those who are on Tamoxifen, which greatly increases the odds that one will develop endometrial cancer. Otherwise, I believe most DRs would probably say that there is no reason to subject yourself to major surgery involving organs which are healthy.

Occasionally, a woman will decide to have a prophylactic oophorectomy (BSO) after breast cancer to remove the major source of estrogen production and be able to switch from Tamoxifen to Arimidex. It's important to know that, even if the ovaries are removed, our bodies can still make some estrogen, so if your DR truly wants you to be estrogen-free you would have to take some sort of aromatase inhibitor, like Arimidex, even after ovary removal (or after natural menopause, for that matter).

As far as prophylactic removal of the ovaries to reduce the odds of getting ovarian cancer goes, most women face the same likelihood of getting ovarian cancer over their lifetimes (approx. 1.7%) regardless of whether or not they've had breast cancer. The exception is in women who are BRCA1/BRCA2 positive; some of these women possess another genetic defect which increases their predisposition to both breast and ovarian cancers. Women who are Ashkenazi Jews are about ten times more likely to fall into this group than the general population. IF you have had genetic testing done and know that you are BRCA1 or BRCA2 positive, you may want to speak with a genetic counselor about whether or not you might want to have your ovaries removed to reduce your ovarian cancer risk. Here is a link to more information about the genetics of breast and ovarian cancers:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/p...essional/page4

I hope this helps... good luck with your decision.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register