11 weeks post op TAH abdominal soreness, sensitivity, numbess | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

11 weeks post op TAH abdominal soreness, sensitivity, numbess 11 weeks post op TAH abdominal soreness, sensitivity, numbess

Unread 02-22-2010, 01:32 PM
11 weeks post op TAH abdominal soreness, sensitivity, numbess

I'm 11 weeks post op for TAH, with horizontal incision. My belly has remained sore to the touch with sensitivity to even running my fingers across my skin, also have numbness from my incision up to my belly button. It's difficult to wear clothing and I stay away from pants with snaps, buttons or tight waistbands. If I wear pants all day, even loose ones, my belly feels even more sore at night. Does this sound like nerve damage, or is this something that will eventually heal with time. Most everyone that I know that has been through a hysterectomy said their soreness was gone in 4-6 weeks. My incision healed nicely, but my sore belly is driving me crazy. It's making it difficult to enjoy doing anything. I asked my doctor about it at 4 weeks and at 7 weeks, and he acted like no big deal, now I'm at 11 weeks with no change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Re: 11 weeks post op TAH abdominal soreness, sensitivity, numbess

BlessedHope, from my prior abdominal surgery experience, it can take 12-18 months to get full sensitivity back.

Once it returns, you don't even notice cuz you've been without for so long...

You still have hope!
Unread 02-22-2010, 05:43 PM

Hello. I had a TAH Oct. 1st and still have tenderness. Doctor told me it is nerves waking up, nerves re-connecting. It is normal. I have heard it can take up to a year to feel normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM

I had a TAH with a vertical incision about four weeks ago and my abdomen is feeling just numb and tingly.

I was told it was just the nerves waking up.
Unread 02-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Thank you for your replies, it sure helps to hear from others who have gone through the same thing. I can deal with the numbness right now, but the severe soreness, like a bruised feeling, is so difficult. It's from my incision which is low to right above my belly button. It's also all the way across my abdomen, from hip bone to hip bone. It really covers a large area and it's difficult to wear clothes and be comfortable. Anything that touches it, hurts. I even feel it when walking, just the movement of my abdominal area is bothersome. I guess I have a lot of nerves waking up! :-) I've joked with my family telling them I am going to join a nudest colony, well when it warms up, too cold right now. :-)
I guess I just wasn't prepared enough for the long term healing this is going to take. Since I was told by several friends that their soreness was gone in 4-6 weeks, guess that is what I was thinking would happen for me. I'm glad I've found others that understand and can help me through this difficult time. I feel everything happens for a reason, and God has a plan for me. Maybe I will be able to use this experience to help others one day.
Unread 02-23-2010, 06:59 AM

So glad you asked this question. I am in week 2.5 of recovery, and felt I was mending fine. Staples out, and incision healing very well. Stiff and sore, I can move more easily. But the last couple of days the skin on my belly has been extremely sensitive to touch. I went without my binder Sunday night, thinking that might be the reason - but could hardly wait to get it back on.

The skin all over my belly is so sensitive that the fabric on even my lightest night gown is painful. It is good to know that it is not unusual, just part of the healing process...but less happy to know it might stick around for a long time.
Unread 02-23-2010, 10:53 AM

Yep, mine too, I know what you are talking about. I can't wear anything binding, pressure bothers me due to the sore feeling or bruised feeling is the best way I can describe it. Just feels like a severe bruise and slight pressure hurts. So, snug fitting undies is uncomfortable, and loose ones is very sensitive to my skin. As I said before, I'm thinking about joining a nudest colony! lol Oh, now wouldn't that be a site! lol I'm thankful I am a homemaker and don't have to go to work each day. I don't know what I would do.
My incision healed well, just my insides that are still on the mend.
Unread 02-23-2010, 11:05 PM

I am laughing at the thought of me at a hyster-nudist camp! Oh, dear - laughing still hurts!

Glad your incision is healing. I went to get my staples out, and some were already "healed" into my skin! Med Assistant asked if I might want to keep one particularly difficult one as a piercing! LOL

I have a double edged thing - I feel uncomfortable and feel more inside pain without my binder. But my skin hurts with anything on it. So I'm hoping things even out soon - or I may have to check into doing that nudist thing.

Thanks again for the laugh!
Unread 02-24-2010, 01:06 AM

I'm about 3 1/2 months post op- same- TAH- horizontal incision
My tummy was numb for a long time- its now tender- but thinking its the nerves coming back.
Seems to be the skin- and vertically- just inside.
I still wear the 'granny pants' frequently- and tight trousers are not comfy.
But its getting better- and so glad my pre-op issues have gone.
My surgeon did warn me I may hurt for quite a while- my impression from him is that it is normal, is does get better with time- sometimes takes longer.
Hope things get better for you soon
Unread 06-25-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedHope View Post
I'm 11 weeks post op for TAH, with horizontal incision. My belly has remained sore to the touch with sensitivity to even running my fingers across my skin, also have numbness from my incision up to my belly button. It's difficult to wear clothing and I stay away from pants with snaps, buttons or tight waistbands. If I wear pants all day, even loose ones, my belly feels even more sore at night. Does this sound like nerve damage, or is this something that will eventually heal with time. Most everyone that I know that has been through a hysterectomy said their soreness was gone in 4-6 weeks. My incision healed nicely, but my sore belly is driving me crazy. It's making it difficult to enjoy doing anything. I asked my doctor about it at 4 weeks and at 7 weeks, and he acted like no big deal, now I'm at 11 weeks with no change.
Hi there.........me too! WOW I am almost 11 weeks post op and my belly is numb but HURTS so bad inside......like you say just to touch it feels like I am pressing on a bruise! I was not prepared for this LONG healing process. I guess it takes a long time to recover.....I had a lot of friends comparing it to a C section......but the incision is not the worst part -- it is the soreness/swelling all inside.....I think you have to be here to understand......if we can survive 2+ months....I am ready to hit that one year mark and be 110%! Good luck and god bless.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register