Upcoming hysterectomy 8/16: Worried | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 8/16: Worried Upcoming hysterectomy 8/16: Worried

Unread 08-12-2017, 06:22 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/16: Worried

I'm having a LAVH this Wednesday. I'm really concerned that the surgery is considered same day so they will send me home afterwards. I'm really feeling like an over night stay minimally is necessary due to blood clot family history and pain management since I can't take a lot of pain meds due to stomach issues. Idk is there anything I can say to my doctor to make this possible?
Scared
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Re: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceylee1 View Post
I'm having a LAVH this Wednesday. I'm really concerned that the surgery is considered same day so they will send me home afterwards. I'm really feeling like an over night stay minimally is necessary due to blood clot family history and pain management since I can't take a lot of pain meds due to stomach issues. Idk is there anything I can say to my doctor to make this possible?
Scared
Absolutely! If you can reach out to your physician's office on Monday that would be ideal. They can and should treat you to monitor for clots. I stayed two nights after my LAVH. My doctor is old school and requires all his patients to stay overnight, but I specifically told him I expected to need two. For most insurance companies, this is still considered reasonable. Half the reason they treat people "same day" is because that is what most people say they want these days. I personally want the expertise and availability of the nursing staff. By staying overnight, you will most likely where SCD's on your legs (gentle compression massage consistently on your legs), which you will have on during surgery anyway, but if your admitted, they will keep them on you whenever you are lying down. They will be doing "clot checks" every few hours through the night. They will also probably leave the catheter in overnight unless you request otherwise, and trust me, it's nice to not be up every 30 minutes "to pee" even though you really don't have to go that much, the feeling is annoying. When I discussed it with my surgeon, he told me that they just have to have a reason to justify the (second) night, typical reasons would be pain control, nausea/vomiting or lack of bowel sounds. I had all three going on when he came in the next morning, so it was a no brainer...I was staying a second night. On a nationwide level, it's still the norm to stay overnight 1-2 nights, so your insurance company won't fight it. Just tell them what you need, don't expect them to be psychic and offer you what you are hoping for. If you don't speak up, they assume you are OK with it.
Unread 08-12-2017, 07:42 PM

I agree that you need to arrange this with your doctor beforehand - and to make certain your insurance will cover expenses.

Make certain your doctor and anesthesiologist are aware of your concerns and family medical history. And definitely discuss what options you will have for pain management both at the hospital and when recovering at home.

You are you're best advocate - so express your concerns before surgery .

Best of luck on a safe surgery and a good recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciamae View Post
I agree that you need to arrange this with your doctor beforehand - and to make certain your insurance will cover expenses.

Make certain your doctor and anesthesiologist are aware of your concerns and family medical history. And definitely discuss what options you will have for pain management both at the hospital and when recovering at home.

You are you're best advocate - so express your concerns before surgery . Don't be afraid!

Best of luck on a safe surgery and a good recovery.
PS - check out this article: Hospital Stay
Unread 08-13-2017, 04:07 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 8/16: Worried

I can relate to your concerns about taking a lot of pain medications, because I have a sensitive stomach myself. I was prescribed oxycodone, and had to stop taking it two days later, because it was making me throw up. I was also prescribed naproxen, an NSAID related to ibuprofen, and I found that I was better off taking it with food; even as little as a few soda crackers can help. I also split my pills, taking a half dose twice as often, which also helped to keep a more constant level in my body; check with your surgeon or pharmacist to see if this is a viable option. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register