managing incontinence | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

managing incontinence managing incontinence

Unread 10-24-2010, 09:16 AM
managing incontinence

How do you deal/live with constant incontinence? I leak all the time when I walk. What type of pads work best? How do you prevent a urine oder.?
I had a cystocele and slight vaginal prolapes. On Oct 4 I had DeVince laproscopeic hysterectomy and sacral colpopexy. THe procedure went great. No pain except the gas pain which went away in a couple of days. BUT since the surgery I have developed incontinence. I leak all the time when I stand and/or walk. My Dr. plans to do a sling but I have to wait 2-3 months to heal before he will do the surg. The reason He did not do the sling with the oringinal procedure was I has NO incontinence before the surg. I had three consurlts, with Dr's in differnt groups, before choosing a Dr and they all would not do the sling right away because I had no sympotoms. The plan was IF I became incontinent then we would do the sling. I know this is temporey but I still have to live a life. I am a sales person and am on my feet all day. The Dr. said wear pads and don't get too discourged because it will be fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Re: managing incontinence

I wanted to respond to you because I know how depressing the constant leaking is! I liked the Poise pads the best. I could usually get by with the lightest variety, which was like a pantiliner. As far as dealing with the odor, I just changed it pretty frequently. If you can do Kegel exercises, I think those help, but it takes a long time to see any results from them.

I had a sling and rectocele surgery five weeks ago, and I'm so happy I did. I don't have to wear pads at all anymore, and it has been wonderful. There is a light at the end of your tunnel! I hope the next few months go by quickly and you can get the surgery done. It's worth it.
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:51 PM

I wear adult diapers. If you get the super thin ones it is even possible to wear them under slacks. However I feel better if I wear a skirt, somehow I feel they are not as noticable. I don't go too long without changing them. I tried the pads but they slipped around plus if a large amount leaked I was afraid it wouldn't hold all of it. Good news is that you won't have to wear them long. As for the dignity factor I know men who have high powered careers that had prostate surgery and wore adult diapers afterwards until they healed. Good luck to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2010, 11:13 AM

Hi, I didn't have leaking either before my hysterectomy and sacral colpopexy, BUT they did a uro-dynamic test, and when they lifted the uterus off and put the bladder in it's normal place.. I leaked! I had a sling put in, but that ended up too tight and had to have it released... complications and 3 other surgeries.. I have more prolapses and my bladder is leaking again, I'm heading for the hospital tomorrow.
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:48 PM

My current worry is that when they put in a sling to stop the incontenence it will be too tight and I will have a new set of problems. I can't live with the leaking and know I will need to do something. I have a second consult this week and I am not rushing into anything. Good luck on solving your problems.
Unread 11-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Sunshine105 How long after your surgery did you stop leaking?
Unread 11-01-2010, 05:58 PM

My incontinence stopped as soon as I had the sling put in and healed from the surgery, so after about a week I was dry. It's been 6 weeks now and I'm really happy I had it done. I spent a lot of time deciding on this surgery (probably about 4 years) and talked to two gyns and two urogyns over the course of that time. My leaking wasn't a huge deal, but it was every day and was getting worse. I was afraid to do the surgery after all the horror stories I saw on this website and others, but I think if you take your time, ask all the questions to your doctor, and find someone you feel you can trust, there is a very good chance of a great outcome. My guess is that people who have a good outcome rarely come back and post, so you don't really hear about them. My sling is mesh, which I really debated about, by my doctor convinced me it would be fine. So far it is! Good luck with your decision.
Unread 11-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Somebody please help. I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks. I don't know who to talk to.I developed a horrendous cough about 2 months ago. And every time I coughed (hard - which was often) I would leak, big time. You couldn't even really call it a leak - I would soak my heavy pad, panties, pants, chair - everything. I went to my family gp twice - both times got an antibiotic and cough syrup. I've taken all the medication and my cough is better. But still, 2 or 3 times a day I have a "coughing fit" and end up soaking everything. I hate going to work, for fear this will happen then. But my family gp seems to prefer kegels, but I can't imagine leaking for another 2 months. I hate this - it makes me feel dirty and filthy and constantly in dread. Help. What should I do? I can't take this much longer.
Unread 11-03-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sus5n View Post
Somebody please help. I'm sitting here with tears running down my cheeks. I don't know who to talk to.I developed a horrendous cough about 2 months ago. And every time I coughed (hard - which was often) I would leak, big time. You couldn't even really call it a leak - I would soak my heavy pad, panties, pants, chair - everything. I went to my family gp twice - both times got an antibiotic and cough syrup. I've taken all the medication and my cough is better. But still, 2 or 3 times a day I have a "coughing fit" and end up soaking everything. I hate going to work, for fear this will happen then. But my family gp seems to prefer kegels, but I can't imagine leaking for another 2 months. I hate this - it makes me feel dirty and filthy and constantly in dread. Help. What should I do? I can't take this much longer.
Please see a urologist who specializes in female urology or a urogynecologist. I had the same problem when I had a bad cough. My gyn surgeon referred me to an excellent urologist for my bladder prolapse and incontinence issues.
I just had my surgery last week. My procedures were done by both surgeons under the same anesthesia. I am delighted with the outcome of my TOT sling. No problems at all and no more leaking!
Ask around and go see the best surgeon you can find, one who specializes in female urology and who does MANY of these procedures. Ask how many they've done and what their success rate is.
There is hope out there for you! I wish you the best!

Unread 11-03-2010, 10:57 PM

also why the bad cough? pneumonia? whooping cough? you need to get that addressed too, i had pneumonia before my surgery, i didn't really feel bad at first and it was because they thought i had appendicitis that the pneumonia was found as my exam didn't reveal it, the xray (done later) showed i had severe pneumonia in my right lung)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register