too much thinking....what to do about fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

too much thinking....what to do about fibroids too much thinking....what to do about fibroids

Unread 01-18-2007, 06:57 PM
too much thinking....what to do about fibroids

I really don't know where to begin.
I've been searching for months for a place where someone might know what I'm going through, and feel so relieved to have finally found it.

I have a large uterine fibroid that has drastically changed my life. I have uncontrollable bleeding, and have been having to take up to 4 birth control pills per day to keep the bleeding at bay (it never truly stops no matter what I do)I have also been increasingly more emotional --weepy, sad, and tense.
Ever since I started taking the BC I've had horrible cramps and pain--my Dr now wants me to try the Depo-provera shot but that just scares me.
And it has really started to Irk me that I am on BC and can't even have sex because not only am I always bleeding, sex is too painful!!

My Gyno thinks Hysterectomy is the best option for me because of the size of the fibroid--in fact she seemed unconvinced of the success of the other methods.

Is anyone on the verge of having to make a choice?
I've waited, and seen things get worse.
I just want and end to the bleeding, the anemia, the pain, and try to get healthy again.

thanks for being here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2007, 02:02 PM

Although I havn't had my surgery yet, I know that I made the right decision. I am ready to be done with the pain and bleeding. Like you, even the bc pills didn't stop the bleeding.
If you are unsure about your doc's opinion, get another and weigh the options presented to you. I was through having children (have been for 16 years but I'm only 37) and I did not even want to talk about other options. I am sure that there are many, many women who have had successful treatment other than hysterectomy, but I didn't want to go down that road only to have to end up with a hysterectomy.
Just make sure that you are satisfied with your decision.
Unread 01-19-2007, 03:02 PM

There are some very good books on the also about Fibroids. Fibroids, the First Year by Joanna Skilling is one. Also The Essential Guide To Hysterectomy by Lauren Streicher helped me a lot. How old are you? Do you have children? Do you want children? This is where you start. Unfortunately there is no BEST decision, only the one that is BEST for YOU.

ExAblate is a new procedure, mostly not covered by insurance but is a non surgical option for some. Look it up on the internet. There is a lot of info here too.

Fibroids are the devil. :burning: Medical Science still hasn't caught up to them yet. But read read read and learn learn learn and then you will feel more in control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2007, 03:42 PM

Two years ago I was where you are now. In the end it came down to quality of life ... Obviously, we're all different, but it's the best thing I've ever done and I wish, now, I'd done it years before. I'd missed out on so much, for so long.

Before going any further, try to get a second opinion. It'll either confirm your doctor's advice or help you make a decision in another direction.

Good luck ~ I hope you find the right answers and can start living again!

Unread 01-19-2007, 06:00 PM

I would get a second opinion - and try to get it from someone affiliated with a teaching hospital (more chance of newer procedures available).

Having the hyst was the best decision for me - a myomectomy or UFE may be yours - but you will only know once you talk with another doc.
Unread 01-19-2007, 07:13 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice.
I really needed it--life just seemed to be streaking out of control--
I am 29, back in college, bleeding, and in pain...and the Dr's office I had gone to had just lost a prescription I was supposed to start...
I was a bit (okay A LOT) emotional.
your kind words put everything back in order for me and I am once again able to think clearly.

Thanks again
Unread 01-19-2007, 07:31 PM

We have many Fibroid Resources you might want to read through. You might also consider reading through our Hysterectomy Alternatives/Options Resources as many women do find alternatives to a hyst for treating their fibroids.

There are also a couple other websites you might want to check out:
Hope for Fibroids
Fibroid Network Online

A hyst is permanent and not without complications. Some women find that having a hyst is trading one set of problems for another, so it is very important that if you chose to have a hyst, it is the right choice for see.

As mentioned, a second medical opinion before any major surgery is a very wise idea. Research as much as you can about your condition and know the pros and cons.

I wish you the best as you make the right choice for you!
Unread 01-19-2007, 07:36 PM

I've had an ExAblate or MRgFUS done and it really did help. I had an 8mm fibroid sitting right on my bladder and had to go to the bathroom constantly. I have multiple fibriods though and they could only ablate or "kill" 3 of them due to the time allowed on the machine. It took a little while but the trips to the bathroom got less and less. It's been two years since my procedure and if it were only those 3 fibriods I'd probably be symptom free. Unfortunately because of all the other fibroids which have grown and I'm starting to get symptoms again, mostly pain and big belly. I've never had any bleeding problems so have tried to put off surgery as long as possible. I'd do the MRgFUS in a second to avoid surgery but it's still not covered by insurance and isn't cheep.

If you only have one or two fibroids it may be worth checking into.
Unread 01-19-2007, 09:29 PM

I am in the same position. I was diagnosed with large fibroids 6 months ago. I have been researching ever since then but find it hard to come to a conclusion. My doctor wants to do a hysterectomy. I'd love to avoid it but live in a small town and some of the newer options aren't available. Even If I reconcile myself to having the hysterectomy, I wish it could be vaginally, but the size of the fibroids makes that impossible. When I'm not having my period, I can live with the fibroids, but when that time of the month is here, I can't go on. I'm the manager of a small company, there is no way I can be out for 4 or more weeks. Any suggestions?
Unread 01-19-2007, 11:06 PM

Do you have any larger medical centers within an hour or two of your small town?
I am from a small town as well, but fortunately within 1-4 hours of several large and well known health centers--and they are worth the drive.
Although it would be a trip, a second opinion (good advice I read from the other ladies) might be a good choice for you especially if you want to know about all the other options.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register