anybody using essential oils post-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anybody using essential oils post-op? anybody using essential oils post-op?

Unread 01-04-2012, 10:21 PM
anybody using essential oils post-op?

I am wondering if anybody has used or plans to use essential oils for post-op healing? I know there are oils that are supposed to be great for healing things, but don't know any specifics. Anyone have any input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Re: anybody using essential oils post-op?

Never heard of it, but I am more than positive you can follow up on the subject via internet.
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM

A friend of mine gave me a bottle of Bio-Oil before my surgery. It smells so good and helps with scars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 11:19 AM

My husband bought me some Bio-oil, because friends had told him that it helped healing and scar tissue.
I asked my GP at a post op check. At a conference of plastic surgeons, they said that there was no medical evidence that bio-oil does help healing.
His advice was to use it if I felt it helped me, perhaps like aromatherapy.

What I have found is, when I get a swelly belly, at the end of the day it is lovely and soothing to stroke bio-oil over my tummy.
The hard lumps, probably internal stitches, seem to settle, and the aroma helps with sleep
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:29 AM

The nurse had a little trouble getting my IV into the top of my hand before surgery, so I was bruised up quite a bit. I rubbed some of the Bio-Oil on it and it made it feel a lot better. I think it just softens the skin and of course the scent is great! Great on my tummy, too!
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Thank you all for your input. I'll look into that oil . . . it seems a friend of mine uses something like that.
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:40 AM

I use essential oils all of the time & have for many years.

There is no proven evidence that they work either but I like the fact that I'm using something natural, chemical free & free of cancer causing ingredients.

If you are wanting to use them for the scars, make sure they are healed. Wait a good 4 weeks IMO before using anything. I found that when you use oils, etc. too soon, it does soften the scar but it will also soften it to the point it stretches & that will make it wider.

You can try pure Vitamin E oil but there is a risk of it giving you a slight rash.

I use Jojoba oil and Lavender oil, then switch it up to Vitamin E for a while. I can't really tell if its helped but it does feel good rubbing it in.

As for Bio-oil, I've read the ingredients and there seem to be some bad things in it. Its not COMPLETELY natural so I decided to not use something like that on a new surgical scar, even if many people say it works.
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:29 PM

Keltec,
I see what you mean about the ingredients--thanks. I'm looking into frankinsence. There is a lot of info on the web, but not sure what is trustworthy.
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:55 PM

You want to use something mild. Some of those oils are very harsh and should not be applied directly to the skin unless you use a "carrier" oil like jojoba, olive, almond, etc.

chamomile & lavender can be applied directly.

Just google essential oils for scars and you should be fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register