hematoma & recovery questions | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hematoma & recovery questions hematoma & recovery questions

Unread 04-03-2012, 08:24 AM
hematoma & recovery questions

Hi!

I am hoping someone can shed some light on what I can do to help speed this recovery along. I don't want to say it has been a nightmare, b/c I am sure it could be worse and in the end if it stops them hemorrhaging, anything is worth that outcome.

I had my TVH on Friday 3/30. The surgeon took my catheter out immediately after surgery (which I personally think is weird), and after 7 hours of not being able to urinate, they put it back in. Only to take it out again at 6am Saturday. They had me walk and walk and walk, but I couldn't pee to save my life. (My MIL told me my FIL says it is mind over matter. I say let me take his prostrate out, have him walk for hours on end, and then see if he can will himself to pee)

They straight cathed me 4 times and then sent me home with a Foley. On Monday at 10am I went to the gyn's office to have the foley removed. I was in a lot of pain(bottom of my abdomen, top of my abdomen, and right side. The middle of my stomach was fine). The gyn suspected that I had a hematoma, but couldn't confirm with an u/s until today.

I went home, and thankfully could pee, but I continued to have really sharp pain in my stomach and side. By 8:30 it was an 8 out of 10, so I called the gyn who said I needed to go to the hospital for a cat scan. I was there 11 hours. The cat scan showed a hematoma, and I was told there really wasn't anything they could do unless my gyn wanted to open the stitched and "wash it out." Uh, no. No thanks.

So now I am home, on double the pain medicine, and I was told in a week or two it'll absorb, but it'll be painful for quite a while. My questions are about recovery:

1. Did I do anything to make this happen?

2. Can I do anything to make it absorb faster?

3. Does bed rest help it absorb?

4. Will it truly be painful like this for 2weeks?

I read some of the posts on hematoma's last night before I went to the hospital. It was helpful to see it happens, but I'd like to know more about what to expect in so far as healing is concerned.

Thanks for your advice ladies. This board is a god-send.

Hugs,
Martie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Re: hematoma & recovery questions

I don't have any answers for you but wanted to give you a big hug. I agree that this board is a God send!
Unread 04-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Im so sorry thats happening! I had my surgery yesterday and I am going potty too much. I am forcing lots of water down to ensure I dont dehydrate from pain meds. However I know I can hold my pee better than this...as soon as they took my cath out I said I had to pee but the nurse said no its empty. Pain meds helped relieve it some while there but then I was dry heaving as they were wheeling me out the door lol. When I got home I started with the water and peeing every hour...even so bad Ive missed the toilet twice and had to have my mom change my underwear for me. (the fun stuff haha). Im just thinking the trips to the bathroom will help keep me healing in the long run and not make my abs so stiff. I had a csection before and short lil trips for more water or to just stand up for a couple min definitely seemed to be key.

I would definitely say try not to force it and cause any pressure and increase your water intake so your pee isnt strong and irritating it in any way.

I wish for a speedy recovery... Try listening to calming music or reading to keep your mind off it... Call a friend.... ? Just suggestions feel better!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2012, 01:37 AM

Thanks Molly and Mizzgrazy! I do appreciate the support and understanding.
Feel better and rest well, ladies.
Martie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register