Anyone still have the catheter at discharge? - Page 3 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone still have the catheter at discharge? Anyone still have the catheter at discharge?

Unread 04-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Re: Anyone still have the catheter at discharge?

No such luck for me. I only got to see the Doctors assistant today and she said I will have the bag 2 more weeks at least and most likely 3/4 more. They really want to give my bladder time to heal before they put any stress on it. I guess they had to remove so much damaged eureter that the tube was to short to hook back to my bladder with out lifting and tilting the bladder, so they don't want to put any stress on it.

I understand the caution but it doesn't help me feel any less trapped by the bag. I had really hoped to take my new granddaughter to have her pictures taken for her first Easter, now that wont happen. I am not comfortable going out in public with this bag hanging off of me. I feel like I am wasting the last spring I will ever see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2012, 06:08 PM

KaylaV - I'm so sorry to hear you may need to wear the catheter for another 2-4 weeks. Your injury was more extensive than most. It doesn't make it any easier to deal with the inconvenience and fear of germs that comes with wearing an exterior bag. Maybe your family can come up with creative ways to keep you included in activities outside your home or find a way to camflouge the bag so you can go out too.

Please post and let us know your progress.

Hugs to you.
Unread 04-04-2012, 09:08 AM

When I had my catheter removed at the surgeon's office on Monday the nurse said to watch out for incomplete emptying of the bladder. It is so hard to tell given the generalized discomfort and swelling of my abdomen. Did anyone have a problem with this? Did you need to track your input and output? The nurse said I didn't need to but I think it would be good to do for at least a day to be sure my urine output is keeping up. I don't want to get a UTI post catheter. Did you push fluids and/or cranberry juice or did you just drink normal amounts?

Any experiences would be helpful. This site is so great for post op information from others. Thanks.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register