Did I make the Right decision? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did I make the Right decision? Did I make the Right decision?

Unread 05-29-2002, 06:24 AM
Did I make the Right decision?

In 1996 I started having heavy bleeding problems. It took me until 1998 to find a doctor who would listen - (it's just your age you know!) Anyway I had a D&C for fibroids in '98 which helped the bleeding for a few months. In 2001 I had another D&C this time for polyps. In '01 I had some complications with heavy bleeding and my cervix didn't close for two weeks. That D&C never slowed the heavy bleeding and clots. I changed doctors (again) this year and this doctor did a hysterosonogram last week and found my cervical canal isn't straight, so the test was painful and he was not able to be as thorough as he would've liked. Sooo. he found two polyps and hyperplasia. So, he put me on Prometrium and scheduled me for another D&C with the option of a hyster. I was to let him know by June 3. Well, I've bled now for 7 days and with my husband we decided enough was enough. I called the doc yesterday and scheduled the LAVH/BSO for July 29th. I"m 47, and on top of all this, our last child at homeis leaving July 13th for Volunteer Service and I'm a wreck over that. Did I do the right thing? What do you all think? Part of me is relieved and part of me is scared to death. My dh, on the other hand, is happy that it'll soon be over. Thanks for listening. Blessings, Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 06:38 AM

The decision doesn't come easy but after reading your post I was reminded of my own soul searching. I have had heavy prolonged periods for the last four years off and on. My personal record was 67 days of non stop bleeding. My current time is since April 20, 2002. The interference in my life and the activities I would like to enjoy just got to be too much. Nothing seemed to help from BC pills, Lupron shots or pregestrone pills. Bless my DH he has been supportive but is as exasperated [sp?] as I am. I am new to the board only been lurking for the last two weeks and finally registered. If you have been going down this road for more than 5 years I would guess you are right on the mark when you and your hubby said enough. This board will give you all kinds of info and more support than you can imagine. Good luck and keep coming back the ladies here are great. For myself I am anxious for June 4th to get here and make me a princess.
Unread 05-29-2002, 06:39 AM

Janet,

First of all... s! You certainly have been through enough over the years.

While nobody can tell you if you have made the right decision or not, we can support you with whatever decision you make. This is only my opinion, but it sounds like you have made the right choice.

I'm 28 and it was not a hard decison for me to make to have my TVH done. I won't go into to much detail, as you weren't asking about me Years and years of painful and heavy periods, 2 failed lap procedures, Oopherectomy & Appendectomy, numerous BCP's and Lupron injections. When my doc said hysterectomy was the next and final option, I jumped at the chance. I was ready to get on the table for this 3 years ago. I do not regret this decision one bit.

Again, whatever you decide is your choice and your body. We are here to provide support, information and hugs to everyone.

I hope things go smoothly for you and that your recovery is uneventful. Also, being scared and relieved at the same time is completely normal. I, along with lots of other women, experience the ups and downs, being scared, nervous, anxious, happy, sad.. etc. You are not alone in this.. we have all been there.

Come on into chat sometime for some real-time hugs and chit chat. There are many women there that can help answer questions. Plus, you can have some fun while there. Venting is a good way to get things off your chest. Hope to see you there!

Best Wishes,
Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2002, 06:54 AM

Hi Janet

No one else can tell you if it's the right decision! This is something that you have to know in your heart if it's right for you.

I, too, had recurring polyps. Then 3-1/2 years ago the DR found the fibroids, at the same time as another polyp. The polyp was removed and I was put on Provera to control the bleeding the fibroids were causing and the fibroids were watched. I had horrible mood swings with the Provera and they got worse every month. Finally last fall it stopped doing its job and I had a 46 day period. At that time my DR said it's probably time for a hyst. I was more than ready to schedule it, as a matter of fact I almost skipped out of the office I was so happy!!

I am almost 4 months post op and I feel so great now, that I must have felt really horrible, but the symptoms (fatigue, etc) develop so slowly that I got used to feeling that way. A couple of days ago one of the ladies who works for me in the summer told me I am like a completely different person this year compared to last, my energy level and my moods.

Even though I was sure of my decision I did have some doubts after I scheduled, I think everyone does. My last period was so easy compared to most in the last few years that I briefly wondered if I should rethink my decision.

Best wishes Janet, and get as much info as you can from this site. Everyone here is ready to offer support, love, understanding and s when you need them!
Unread 05-29-2002, 07:27 AM

Sometimes you don't even know it's the right decision until after surgery. Right up until I went under, I kept thinking there must be some other way to cure all this stuff. Post op, I realised I didn't have to deal with any of it anymore. No more cramps, no more bleeding, no more worries. Recovery wasn't easy, and it seemed to drag at times. I know I did things too early, but sometimes your mental health comes first and when you're going nuts from cabin fever, the best thing is just to get out and do something.

I'm not counting the weeks anymore, so I'm just over 3 months post op and I know for sure I made the right decision. The best thing you can do right now is arm yourself with knowledge and think about not having to deal with those medical problems later.

Best wishes.
Unread 05-29-2002, 11:45 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Janet and Sonya!

Just wanted to welcome you both to HysterSisters--best site on the Web! Glad you are finding some helpful info and support here. Most of us hystersisters finally decided we had had enough bleeding (some had awful pain), and wanted a normal life back! It's usually not an emergency situation, but if you weigh the pros and cons, you can make a decision that you are comfortable with, at a time in your life when it will be best for you. I'm very happy I had my hyst 11 months ago, and I feel great now! Sorry to hear you are going through "empty nest" at the same time, Janet. You have a lot to deal with right now!

If you haven't read the pull-down menus for Ladies in Waiting, click on the 3 princesses at the top of the page, and scroll down to find stories and hints from previous princesses. Everything I read here helped me be prepared for my hyst and much calmer!Feel free to ask any questions you have. We'll be here to support you through this journey! s and best wishes!

Ruthie
Unread 05-29-2002, 04:19 PM

Hi Janet. Like the others said...only you and your dr. can make the decision on what's best for you. When I found out hysterectomy was an option I was scared to death. I questioned my decision too..right up until the end. I constantly worried about the "what ifs". You name it, I worried about it. However, my surgery and recovery went smooth. It's been 2 years since my surgery...and I don't regret it at all.

Good luck. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Unread 05-29-2002, 10:04 PM

Pookah,

I also kept thinking - right up until they were wheeling me into the OR - that maybe I should just wait it out. After all, my last period was only 16 days long. Never mind how heavy it was at times during those 16 days. Never mind the incontinence caused by an enlarged uterus. Never mind the anemia that made my immune system practically worthless.

For me it came down to quality of life. Can you continue to live with the problems you're having? Are there alternatives that you believe have a chance of curing the problems without surgery? Do you want to pursue more medical opinions?

You need to be convinced that this is the best choice for you before you go through with it. That doesn't mean you won't have doubts from time to time - those doubts are perfectly normal. But if you have doubts more often than you have peace about the decision to have a hysterectomy, then you may need to consider waiting. For me, a hysterectomy was the right choice. I began feeling better almost from the start. It's major surgery, and there are still days, even at 9 weeks post-op, when I get tired, but I don't have the cramps or the bleeding that goes on forever. I feel healthier than I have felt in years, and wish I hadn't waited so long. But the truth is I wouldn't have been ready emotionally if I had done it sooner, and I think that's more than half the battle to recovery after surgery.

Best wishes and sending lots of s your way!

Margaret

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register