surgery in 4 days and have a question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery in 4 days and have a question? surgery in 4 days and have a question?

Unread 07-27-2006, 07:45 PM
surgery in 4 days and have a question?

Just one more quick question? iknow it seems stupid buut what does it fel like when the catheder is inside? Can you feel it or can you feel when the urine is leaving the bladder? I'm just more freaked out about the catheder than anything because I had a horrible experience with one a couple yrs. ago where the nurse tried to pt it in the wrong hole! Ouch! That really hurt so now im freaked out about this. Thankx for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2006, 08:10 PM

Hey hon, I had to keep my cath in for 11 days. The only problem I had was that it became "positional", where it wouldn't drain properly unless it was in a certain position. I never felt the urine leaving and often just checked the bag to see when it needed drained. It does feel a little odd having a tube "there", but not painful (unless the tube is pulled on--that was my own fault).

Honestly, it's just odd more than anything. It's odd not having to get up to pee, it's odd having a BM without peeing. But it's also awsome to drink as much as you possibly can and knowing you dont' have to get up once during the night!! lol Now that's what I miss!
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:15 PM

The only time I have ever had a catheter was when I had my hysterectomy and I was telling a friend of mine that I did not want one, I assumed that it would be painful and irritating. Well I can tell you that my experience was very uneventful, I truly did not even notice it much, (could be I was on morphine) but I did not feel myself urinate or experience any irritation at all. The nurse took it out the next day and honestly there was no pain involved, urinating on my own after the catheter was out was more uncomfortable for me.
Hopefully you will have the same experience. Best wishes to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2006, 08:16 PM

I didn't even pay attention to it at all. You won't even know it's there. Don't worry.
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Hey angeleyes,

I had a catheter for my c-section and for my myomectomy. I really don't remember much about that. I think sometimes they do it before anesthesia and sometimes they wait until you are under. I think I do remember being a little uncomfortable with it going in, and a little uncomfortable coming out. That's it... really mild discomfort going in & coming out. While it was in I felt absoluting NOTHING! I couldn't even tell when I needed to urinate, so that was kind of weird. While it was in, it was great! When it was out, then I had to actually get up to go pee... I missed the catheter then!!! Be sure to tell the nurse about your experience, and I'm sure she'll make sure to put you at ease.

I hope that helps a bit.
Unread 07-27-2006, 08:52 PM

They did not put mine in untill I was under. I was also scared of that. The nusre removed it the next morning. She told me to take a deep breath and she pulled it out. I could feel something but it was just a strange feeling. No pain.

Good luck it will be over it no time.
Unread 07-27-2006, 09:26 PM

I am sorry it is causing you to worry. I can understand ,because I did too. I never felt them put it in, as they waited till I was under with the IV cocktails, and when I woke up from surgery I didn't even think about it because I couldn't feel it. I think the pain meds take care of a lot of discomfort if there is any. I did not have much sensation when they pulled it out either.

You just take it a day at a time okay?

Wishing you all the best with your surgery.

s
Unread 07-27-2006, 11:51 PM

oh thank you all so much I feel better already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will be knocked out when they put it in so if they miss the hole like last time then I guess I won't know!!!!!!!! hahahhaha . well thank you so very much I truly feel better.>>>>>>>> angeleyez
Unread 07-28-2006, 12:51 AM

Hi, angel eyes,

Yes, you will be out when they insert the cat, and yes, it won't hurt much when it comes out. It feels less than if you were using a tampon.

It shouldn't hurt or burn while you are using it, so if it is, hit that call button. Also, drink lots of water, as it helps your output and keeps infection at bay. It also helps with your first "unassist".

The only thing you may have a problem with is your first walk, if it's still in. Your nurse should drain your foley first, so you don't have any pulling sensation, and voila, you're off for some exercise.

Hope this helps.

Julia
Unread 07-28-2006, 01:44 AM

They must of waited until I was under...and i imagine that i had it that first day...and it was probably removed while i was still groggy the next day because i don't remember it being in place...i do remember me they had me walking the day after my hysterectomy at about 6 am and i didn't have the cather any more. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. God will watch over you and calm all your fears and concerns.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register