IV site, Such an unnecessary aggravation..!!! - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

IV  site, Such an unnecessary aggravation..!!! IV site, Such an unnecessary aggravation..!!!

Unread 09-27-2006, 09:08 PM
IV site, Such an unnecessary aggravation..!!!

I'll add my story, too. My IV blew out the vein and the nurses kept injecting meds and then flushing with saline even though I was obviously in agony. Their comment was, "You must have small veins!". Well I didn't on the day of surgery when the darned thing worked just fine! It developed thrombosis (sp?), but resolved on it's own. I just had the swollen, painful misery for two weeks after surgerey. I only realized that it was something to have my dr. watch after reading Tiredinmd's post (we nearly share surgery dates). This site really is a help!

Sorry to hear about everyone's pain, especially nerve damage. Hoo-boy!

Cathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2006, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kategold44
Sorry you guys went through this! I am a nurse and when my IV was being started the nurse missed(I have great veins) so I asked her to please warm up my arm. She didn't and stuck me again with the IV in my wrist. All I can say is some should not be nurses. We are not all that way. Do you have redness up your arm? The nerve damage should improve. I had a numb toe after surgery and it is better now.
Kate, I am also an RN. They tried the "resident special" along my wrist on both arms, I still have the bruising, swelling and tingling from IV infiltrate. Finally had a sure shot approach me with some lidocaine, a 22 guage and the back of my hand. The absolute worst was after 3 nurses got tired of blowing my veins, 1 of them tossed an IV start kit onto my lap and said "Your a nurse, maybe you'll have better luck!" and walked out.

I still have bruises at both wrist sites, went to the grocery store with my hubby, the check out clerk noticed, said "Oh my gosh , what happened!!!" I just winked and said, "What can I say? He likes the rough stuff!" He was MORTIFIED but then he has to put up with me!!!! And I do put him through a lot, he has to use that wonderful pat on the back when I'm laying down to help with the gas. What the heck! He's been firing off the warning shots for YEARS!!!! My turn....
Unread 09-27-2006, 09:32 PM

Not to scare anyone but they are now recommending not to put phenergan for nausea in the I.V. I will look for the article but it burns like hell fire and it can cause serious problems. Sorry you had to go thru that. I now recommend the medication be put directly into a muscle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2006, 10:57 PM

Yep, phenergan burns like hell fire is probably a mild expression. It was the flushing with saline combination that caused my infiltration situation. It's much better after 24 hours but still isn't resolved. I'm hoping in a day or two most of the fluid retention/swelling will be gone,
Unread 10-10-2006, 06:28 PM

I just found this thread. I am 3 weeks out from my surgery. Had what the nurse said was "iv blew" after receiving a blood transfusion for internal bleeding. My arm from finger tips to slightly above the elbow blew up to at least 4 times it's normal size. Had sausages for fingers that I couldn't move they were so swollen. A couple of days ago, I noticed a bruise and a small lump at the iv site. Now the arm seems stiff and is tender at the site, and sometimes tingles. I forgot to ask the DR about it when I went today. Is there something I can do about it today, until I can call the DR in the am? Anyone think this is something serious?

This is my first post to the site. I have read some very helpful information here, just hoping for a little more.

Thanks,
Phamil
SAH/BSO for endometrios and complex hyperplasia
Unread 10-10-2006, 09:08 PM

I can't think of anything you can do about it until the am. You had an infiltration during a transfusion which means the blood basically went into your subcutaneous tissue. This would take longer to recover from but as long as there is no infection or swelling it is probably fine. It is still best to check with the Doc though.
Unread 10-10-2006, 09:15 PM

Haunted,
I just discovered your relply today. I appreciate your type of sense of humor about the whole situation. I returned to work today and asked if anyone noticed something was missing. Anyhow, I think that when nurses find they are caring for other nurses the lose it. They should know better than to use lame excuses for an IV that is shot with us? What type of nursing do you practice? Kate
Unread 10-11-2006, 07:39 AM

I had a bit of a problem with my IV....my hand swelled...that they had to relocate. And she put it on my forearm which was way better.

One thing that happened to me, tho, was that I had a CNA who just by looking at her you knew she had a screw loose....she took my BP right above the iv site. That just didn't seem right to me. And to make it worse, after she inflated the cuff, she kept it that way until it really hurt. I have no medical training, but that just doesn't seem right.

Sure makes you realise that there are medical professionals out there treating people EVERY DAY that probably shouldn't be.
Unread 10-11-2006, 07:53 AM

Flutterbye, Yup my night CNA I had to tell her HOW to take my blood pressure! Crazy!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-23-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonk
Yep, phenergan burns like hell fire is probably a mild expression. It was the flushing with saline combination that caused my infiltration situation. It's much better after 24 hours but still isn't resolved. I'm hoping in a day or two most of the fluid retention/swelling will be gone,
I always made it a practice when I was working in the hospital to dilute the phenergan with saline before injecting, because it does burn tremendously and will irritate the veins.

As a side note, I'm around 10 weeks out now and the vein is still swollen and hard. The Dr told me it could take months to totally resolve. I still take 2 aspirin a day. What a mess.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register