pain with bowel movements | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain with bowel movements pain with bowel movements

Unread 10-21-2006, 06:15 AM
pain with bowel movements

Hi girls 11 days post op and having rough time, just wondered if bowel motions should be sooo painfull, i am taking softeners and i go to the toilet ok but as it passes(so to speak)the pain is unbearable is this normal? i also bleed loads from the vagina when i pass motion, does this sound familiar?
Hard to know whats going on, unless this is totally normal.
Thanks Jazz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2006, 07:09 AM

Jazz ~ I too had a lot of pain when I pooped...and when I peed. You're right, that pooping pain is quite severe. It literally took my breath away one day. Interestingly enough the pooping pain went away before the peeing pain did (I still have it).

You might want to call the Dr about the vaginal bleeding though. I experienced some vaginal bleeding after an overactive weekend and he wanted to see me to check it out.
Unread 10-21-2006, 08:15 AM

Yesterday I cried for 20 minutes while I awaited a BM and then the entire time I had the BM - It was awful and it wasn't the first BM I had had.

Spoke with DR about these problems and he said that it is the way the vaginal canal and the rectum are laying together. As the stool moves down into the rectum, it goes directly across the vaginal cuff and irritates the stitches. sorry about the details, but maybe understanding why it hurts so bad will make it better.

Good luck and what ever you do don't stop the fiber and stool softeners. I can't imagine how much more it would hurt without them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2006, 08:38 AM

I had one of those kind of BM just last night, it made me so tired all I could do after was crawl into bed and sleep it off.I'm at the 2 week post op time. Looking forward to a BM with out pain.. Best wishes Vickie
Unread 10-21-2006, 08:59 AM

LadyRose ~ I can totally relate to that nap after pooping. Pooping at 1-2 weeks post-op was absolutely exhausting (from the pain) and it felt like it sucked all the energy right out of me. Showering also had that exhausting effect on me too. So it was another nap after that "event".

Keep the faith...it WILL get better soon!
Unread 10-22-2006, 02:08 AM
bowels

Thanks girls, it does help to know i am not alone, sorry that sounded bad but y no what i mean!
I was diagnoses with DVT on Friday, trust me to get all post op complications eh!! I do beleive they kicked me out too early day 5. So I had to go back in again to diagnose and treat blood clot, on warfarin and fragmin now to add to the list but bleading getting heavier yest and today so have to tell them this morn when i go in for my injection.
Tell y what bowel pain makes y want t give up eatin all together then y wouldnt have t go through it eh!!
Take care luv Jazz
Unread 10-22-2006, 02:37 AM

Hi! I am 10 days post op and I have also had problems with BM's. I have found that taking 2 stool softners a day has helped. I have also found that when there is a struggle and the pain is unbearable because of the pressure, that using a suppository helps immensly with the passing. Kinda lubes things up so to speak. -Varuka
Unread 10-22-2006, 06:09 AM
I can relate

I finally had a BM 5 days out. The pain beforehand was aweful. I take Senna and I am doing more liquids and getting fiber back into my diet as before my hyster. I had waves of pain until I finally went to the bathroom. It took a lot out of me as well. Guess we're all in the same boat.
LAVH 10/17/06 for grade 1 endo cancer
Unread 10-22-2006, 07:04 AM

The pain with BM went gradually got better after week 2 and then finally this last week I have been able to go without any pain at all. There were times when I had to slap my own face to distract me from the pain when going. Honestly it was that bad. The last two days I have also been peeing without pain. Hang in there girls it does get better.
Unread 10-22-2006, 07:54 AM

Hi I am also 11 days post-op and I agree with post#7 Varuka. I have been doing the same thing, and is helping alot!! I can't wait to be pain free and feel "normal" again. People keep telling me that I will be so happy about the surgery in a few weeks and glad that I did it, but right now... it *****!!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register