pain with bowel movements - Page 2 | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain with bowel movements pain with bowel movements

Unread 10-22-2006, 09:18 AM
pain with bowel movements

Hi there! I'm so sorry you're having this much difficulty.

I don't know about you, but I've never had much success with stool softeners or laxatives. They just don't agree with my system very well. (I just did a bowel prep a few days ago for a colonoscopy, and I'm seriously hoping by the time I have my next one, they will have figured out a "virtual colonoscopy" procedure so I don't have to do it again. )

I get MUCH better results just by adding bulk, fiber, and lots of water to my diet. This doesn't mean just prunes. Now I have oatmeal with raisins for breakfast, and 7-grain toast. I have switched to eating Triscuit crackers as a snack. Chili and bean & ham soups for lunch, and a salad with carrots and celery every night. Keeping the BMs soft naturally is usually a better option than doing it chemically, especially if the stool softener route is still resulting in pain for you.

Hope this helps, and I hope you're feeling better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2006, 11:23 AM
The fiber helps

I took the Senna for the first few days as the pain meds tend to constipate. Now that I am able to eat and add the fiber, I will cut down on the Senna. Moving around helps too. The last thing I wanted was an obstruction. I recently saw that happen to someone who was a few weeks out from a hyster.
Unread 10-22-2006, 11:41 AM

I am 13 days out and still have a bit of pain when I start a BM. I still have pain after emptying my bladder and I think I pulled a groin muscle some how. It was better a few days ago but just sneezed and whammo the pain. UGGHH. At least it was short. I am down to only 800mg of Ibuprofen twice daily so the overal pain is much better. No percocet since 2am 10-17 WHOOHOO. I have been having regular BM's daily sometimes twice since 10-14. I would really like to stay that way.
I will be adding more fiber to my diet as well. Hopefullly we will all be without pain soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2006, 09:08 AM

I am almost to 5 weeks (tomorrow....can it really be????) and I am so glad no one is here most of the time when I go. I usually am sitting there going "ow ow ow ow ow!!!!!!" till it starts and then its okay. I am still on softeners and he said I probably will be for 6-8 months and I have no prob with that as they aren't habit forming like laxatives and I want that A/P repair to heal correctly. I also notice, just as an FYI, that if I sit more upright the bm seems to pass easier. I have a handicap toilet in my bathroom and that has made it so much easier for me to sit up and back more to go. I know, I know....tmi....lol
Unread 10-23-2006, 10:23 AM

I started having pain last weekend at just over 2 weeks post op and it is still going on a week later. I've noticed my bladder hurts when I pee and when my bowels start moving with gas or more it hurts like crazy. I have to jerk and bend into strange positions to try to relieve the pain. I usually walk down the hall to the bathroom bending and saying ouch the whole way. I usually have easy BMs cause I eat a lot of fiber and they are still quick and easy but they sure hurt working their way out of me.

I'm so glad to know this isn't unusual but I'm so surprised it has started a few weeks out and not right after the surgery.
Unread 10-23-2006, 10:59 AM

Jazzy I took Gas-X out of desperation during one of my really badly constipated episodes and was shocked. I honestly did not feel like I had gas....really thought it was just my bm moving down but the gas I expelled (yup I know....tmi....) after taking it was amazing. I am NOT a person who likes to take any kind of meds or drugs at all but in addition to taking the stool softeners I am taking the Gas-X at least once a day just in case. Don't know if it would help you. Are you taking colace or any other stool softeners? Again, just my doc, but he said even with a high fiber diet to take them. I would give my doc a call and see what he/she says about it. Maybe that is all you need....

hope its better soon either way
hugs
K
Unread 10-23-2006, 12:28 PM

Hi, I was having alot of pain while peeing to.... burning and what felt like spasms and a wierd stabby/burny feeling. thought it was normal from having had the catheter and only being 11 days out yesterday. well, all day yesterday my sides started hurting worse and worse and then I was nauseated , dizzy, headache, just feeling bad, but no fever. So I called the Dr. she met me at the ER. Ends up I do have a UTI from the catheter. My side pains were my kidneys and of course abdominal pain was the bladder and general surgery soreness. I am still feeling yucky but a wee bit better since being pumped full of antibiotics and pain meds. So long story short, if you continue to have burning and general pain while peeing go to the Dr!!!!! I'm glad I did.
Unread 10-23-2006, 12:32 PM

Pressing on your incision area {light Pressure}with your hand, when attempting a BM seems to help. The lack of muscle tone is what is making it so hard to push. Plus glycerine suppositories help get things going. Just wait about 15 minutes till it works. Hope it helps. octoberhyst
Unread 10-23-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz8888
Hi girls 11 days post op and having rough time, just wondered if bowel motions should be sooo painfull, i am taking softeners and i go to the toilet ok but as it passes(so to speak)the pain is unbearable is this normal? i also bleed loads from the vagina when i pass motion, does this sound familiar?
Hard to know whats going on, unless this is totally normal.
Thanks Jazz
I'm 7 days post op and started BMs three days ago.. all were smooth.. but I suspect i'm in for some not so smooth. I recommend having someone go to a healthfood store and get you a product that comes in Tea Bag form called Smooth Move. Along w/ the stool softener pills, this helped immensly. My doc at recommended it.
Unread 10-23-2006, 02:07 PM

I suspected I wasn't alone...but I didn't know until reading this post. OMG, the pain awaiting the movement is unbearable! There was one day I was "dancing" across the room bent over on my tippy-toes, holding my tummy and swaying from side to side as I made my way to the toilet. I had to remind myself to breathe and I'm just so thankful that my boyfriend was sleeping so as not to have to have him start me laughing at myself during such a vulnerable time!

I will not take another stool softenenr, as it caused me to have diarrhea for 4 days afterwards, but I have been taking the fiber. I go regularly, but the pain before hand is terrible. At least I know for sure when I'm going toh have a movement rather than just guessing. I also have similar pain just before passing gas.

Hope it gets better.
Mellybug

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register