Turning the corner | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Turning the corner Turning the corner

Unread 12-07-2012, 05:03 AM
Turning the corner

Hello beautiful sisters!

For all of you who think you will never heal, like I thought, here are some words of encouragement. I am 5 weeks post op.

You will have good days and bad days. Finally my good days are starting to outweigh the bad days.

Don't overdue anything! If it hurts, STOP and rest.

If you don't finish your holiday shopping, those close to you will understand. Beside's there are always gift cards! The holidays will come around again next year too! This is also true for decorating. You have to take it down too! Keep it to a minimum. Anyone stopping over for the holidays are there to see you, not your house.

And the last one is the hardest for me. Right now it is about you and only you. Make your recovery easy. Recover once, follow doctors orders. In the long run this will avoid much pain and possibly longer recovery. None of us want to hear, another 6 weeks from the Doc., because we have pushed too hard.

Keep positive! My DH has reminded me on my bad days that I am negative. He is right. I have given this much thought and know mentally I was not prepared for emergency surgery. I am now excepting the second chance given to me. It took awhile!

Most of all, don't stress. It will get better, albeit maybe not as fast as we would all like, but a little better everyday!

I wish you all a joyous holiday season filled with miracles and renewed health in the new year!

Much love and support,

Donna in Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Re: Turning the corner

Great words of wisdom - for you ladies who think it willnever end it does get better!

I am at about 7 1/2 weeks. Went back to work at 6 weeks as well as back to the gym for water aerobics 3 times now since Saturday. Going to start bumping that back to a normal schedule next week. I've been very careful not do overdo things the first week back to "real" life.

I am 90% normal at this point and feel better than I have in years. I get some evening fatigue and swelly belly but it gets better each day. Very rarely I'll have some minor soreness that's hard to describe - kind of internal but very minor and not really a problem. I use it as my signal to take it easy for the next 24 hours... welll.. as easy as I can with being back at work.

We all need reminders that this can be a positive surgery. Sometimes it's easy to log on here and only see the posts from those who are having complications and I know it depressed me for a while. (That's not to take away from those ladies needing support for those issues at all -that's what this forum is here for!)
Unread 12-07-2012, 07:04 AM

Thank you both for sharing ... helps ladies like me who are 10 days out see light at the end of the tunnel!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-07-2012, 11:04 AM

I am only a couple of weeks post op from my DVH/BSO and already feel the difference. My daily severe pain due to my large fibroid is gone. No longer severe pelvic, abdominal, and back pain. I feel my recovery is going extremely well as I am following Dr's orders to the letter. I am looking forward to my quality of life improving each day.
Unread 12-07-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtns2islands View Post
Great words of wisdom - for you ladies who think it willnever end it does get better!

I am at about 7 1/2 weeks. Went back to work at 6 weeks as well as back to the gym for water aerobics 3 times now since Saturday. Going to start bumping that back to a normal schedule next week. I've been very careful not do overdo things the first week back to "real" life.

I am 90% normal at this point and feel better than I have in years. I get some evening fatigue and swelly belly but it gets better each day. Very rarely I'll have some minor soreness that's hard to describe - kind of internal but very minor and not really a problem. I use it as my signal to take it easy for the next 24 hours... welll.. as easy as I can with being back at work.

We all need reminders that this can be a positive surgery. Sometimes it's easy to log on here and only see the posts from those who are having complications and I know it depressed me for a while. (That's not to take away from those ladies needing support for those issues at all -that's what this forum is here for!)
Very good advice. I'm five weeks out and just turned the corner this week in terms of energy and "brain fog." I finally feel like I have stamina and am not such a scatterbrain.

I second all the comments about being relieved to be on the other side. Despite any discomfort I've had it's minimal compared to the pain and complications of large fibroids. I'm counting my blessings this year BIGTIME.

As for gifts, I agree - people will understand that priorities are different this year if you don't get it done. I'm a believer in paying it forward and wanted to express my gratitude for restored health this year so I made a financial gift to the clinic foundation/hospital where I had my hyst.
Unread 12-07-2012, 03:38 PM

Petrified - I LOVE this sister!! And I love what you said, its a 2nd chance. Live it to the fullest. Huge
Unread 12-09-2012, 08:06 PM

Thank you! Needed to hear that today!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register